Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
MarieMemberI’ll admit that I don’t many Blacks personally. But I have noticed that their seem to be certain words that Blacks regularly pronounce in unusual ways. A previous post already mentioned ask/axe. I’ve also noticed: birthday/birfday and library/liberry. There are others that won’t come to mind right now. Of course, there are numerous words that are mispronounced by people of all races, social rank, education level: nuclear/nucular, wash/worsh (leading to Washington/Worshington), and others. But there really does seem to be some words that are peculiar/specific to Blacks regardless of social or education level. On television, I’ve heard doctors and attorneys as well as people from lower classes use the same pronunciations. If I recall any more examples – they seem to be eluding me at the moment – I’ll repost with more examples. The point is this ‘unique’ quirk often comes across as sounding uneducated or inarticulate, no matter who is speaking, IMO. Can anyone else provide similar examples that you’ve noticed?
User Detail :
Name : Marie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 36, City : Jeffersonville, State : IN, Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class,
MarieMemberPersonally, I think if one is going to use the words ‘black’ or ‘white’ to describe a person, they SHOULD be ‘Black’ or ‘White.’ There is no other ethnicity, that I can recall, who is commonly described by ‘skin’ tone. And not all Blacks are African-American, are they? What is a Black who was born in England called? Anglo-African? Or in China? African-Asian? Honestly, I’m curious. Is anyone who is Black and not born in Africa grouped into the African-American classification? But in the US it seems to be a toss-up between black and African-American as to what one prefers to be called. Therefore, Black would seem appropriate, IMO. And it would just seem like the natural progression from using Black to using White. It’s not like these words really describe skin color anyway. Everyone on this planet is some shade of brown.
User Detail :
Name : Marie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 36, City : Jeffersonville, State : IN, Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class,
MarieMemberLast I heard,the age of consent in TX was 17. She may be a minor, but she’s not ‘jail bait.’ So that is hardly a valid argument.
User Detail :
Name : Marie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 36, City : Jeffersonville, State : IN, Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class,
MarieMemberDoes the term only apply to women who actively seek out gay men or does it also apply to someone like me? I don’t go looking for gay men to be friends with, I just sort of find them. A lot of men that I find attractive, too, turn out to be gay or at least bisexual. And because I don’t actively try to make gay friends, I can’t really say what it is that draws me to them.
User Detail :
Name : Marie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 36, City : Jeffersonville, State : IN, Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class,
MarieMemberI like bisexual guys, I always have. My first boyfriend considered himself bi even though he only ever fantasized about his best friend. My husband used to be uncomfortable about my kink, but once I reassured him that I didn’t expect him to have sex with another guy, he was/is okay with it. He now indulges me by occasionally watching bisexual adult videos with me and will even talk about my fantasies with me because he knows what a big turn on it is for me. Now if I could just persuade him to try a m/m/f threeway with me… But really, lots of men get off on the thought of two women being together, why can’t women be allowed to like seeing or thinking about two guys together? And while it may not be the norm, there are many, many women who do like it. Do an internet search for ‘slash’ of ‘yaoi’ fiction or fanfiction. There are tons of erotic stories online about m/m sex (written by both women and men.) You’ll see that there is nothing wrong with you and that you have plenty of company. ; )
User Detail :
Name : Marie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 36, City : Jeffersonville, State : IN, Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class,
MarieMemberI’ve always enjoyed anal sex. I may not always be in the mood for it, but when I am, I love it.
User Detail :
Name : Marie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 36, City : Jeffersonville, State : IN, Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class,
MarieMemberI happen to think a lot of Asian guys, esp. Chinese and Japanese, are gorgeous. Unfortunately, there just doesn’t seem to be a very large Asian population around here. 😉 But I’ve always thought that Asians and Native Americans were some of the most beautiful people on earth. I certainly couldn’t tell you why exactly. Just a matter of opinion, I guess.
User Detail :
Name : Marie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 36, City : Jeffersonville, State : IN, Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class,
MarieMemberFrom a woman’s POV, I used to dread the thought of getting older. I thought it meant I’d be less attractive, feel less sexy. When I was younger, older men were attracted to me. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve discovered that younger men are the ones who are attracted to me. I’ve had time to learn what guys like, how to flirt or just connect with different kinds of guys, and I am very confident and comfortable with my sexuality. I think confidence is very sexy whether the quality is found in a male or a female. I’ve certainly become bolder and more assertive. I don’t mean aggressive or predatory. I am just more comfortable with being the one to make the first move now. And I don’t feel like my body or sex is all I have to offer. I’m independent, confident and intelligent. And if a man can’t appreciate those qualities as well as a nice body, then I don’t need him!
User Detail :
Name : Marie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 36, City : Jeffersonville, State : IN, Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class,
MarieMemberAs a blonde myself, I think I can say that this kind of stereotyping goes hand-in-hand the idea that blondes are dumb or easy. I have dk blonde hair but prefer to keep it honey blonde like it was when I was a child; like my daughter’s hair is now. I also have green eyes and a year round tan that I do little to maintain — it’s genetic. I think I am attractive but no one will ever mistake me for a swimsuit model! Long hair, average build (no top-heavy Barbie doll build, not even close), a little above average in height. I rarely even wear make-up. Over the years, I’ve tried many different hair colors from brown to red to black, and various shades in between. Yet I have always come back to blonde. I feel more comfortable, more confident and, yes, more attractive. When I’m blonde, I have noticed that I get more attention from guys, not all of it flattering. But I believe the reason I get more attention as a blonde is because I’m more at ease with myself. And I’ve always believed that confidence is the most attractive trait you can possess. On the flip side of the coin, when I was younger, I was only attracted to tall, tanned, blonde guys. LOL I wonder how guys would feel about that!
User Detail :
Name : Marie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 36, City : Jeffersonville, State : IN, Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class,
MarieMemberI don’t know how ‘acceptable’ it is – I don’t think it’s anyone’s business really. But I have noticed that black men/white women couples are a lot more common than white men/black women. I’ve always wondered why this is. For some reason, I believe there is more to it than social acceptance. I just haven’t figured out what it is.
User Detail :
Name : Marie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 36, City : Jeffersonville, State : IN, Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class,
MarieMemberMy husband and I discovered recently that our 12 year old son had managed to access some pornographic internet sites. I was not surprised that he was curious – it’s only natural at that age. What surprised me was that there are ‘preteen porn’ sites out there. (Someone should go to prison for this.) My husband and I discussed how to handle the situation before talking to our son. Then my husband sat him down and explained that while there is nothing wrong with being curious or with sex, pornography is not meant for young people. That the acts depicted and described are not typical and therefore a very bad way to learn about sex, love and relationships. He went on to explain how sex and love were not the same thing, how sex should be incorporated into a loving relationship, and how pornography gives the wrong impression of how men and women interact in real life. He also made sure to let our son know that sex itself is not bad, nor is curiosity. And he let our son know that he could come to either one of us if he ever had questions or wanted to talk. Later on I approached my son, and told him that I wanted him to know he could talk to me about anything too – without going into all of the details his father did. I wanted to avoid embarrassing him, but I felt that it was important for him to know that we were both available. Then we set up AOL Guardian, their new parental notification system. When your child logs on, you receive an email report about his or her online activities. Much more effective than the old parental controls now that porn sites are finding ways around these.
User Detail :
Name : Marie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 36, City : Jeffersonville, State : IN, Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class,
MarieMemberI think it is more acceptable now than it was in the past. And I don’t believe that women always choose ‘men with more resources.’ In fact, that is insulting. Many women, these days, are strong, independent, self reliant and do not believe they need a man to provide for them. I know several couples in which the woman is older and in a couple of cases there is a significant age difference. In about half of those couples the woman is the primary provider. In fact, these older woman/younger man couples have all been together longer than most of the other couples I’ve known (many of these couples have broken up or divorced.) BTW, my own 18 year marriage is more traditional. My husband is only a year older than I am. He is the sole provider and I am quite happy to be able to stay home with our kids. So I can’t say I’m biased.
User Detail :
Name : Marie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 36, City : Jeffersonville, State : IN, Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class,
MarieMemberNot only does it seem that white girls are more aggressive, but it seems like they have become very competitive. They seem to think that being sexually aggressive, provocative and outrageous will get them the most popular guys, the ‘bad boys’, or something. A perfect example would be these ‘Spring Break’ or ‘Girls Gone Wild’ videos that seem to be so popular. It’s almost always white college-age girls degrading themselves in these videos. I’ll admit I’ve only ever seen the Tv ads, but even so, it’s always white girls flashing their breasts. Their parents must be so proud. A pretty girl with a pleasant, outgoing personality and some self-respect will find herself with just as much masculine attention, and from higher-quality guys.
User Detail :
Name : Marie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 36, City : Jeffersonville, State : IN, Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class,
MarieMemberI agree totally with the 15 year old girl who said in her post that ‘they’ll get out in the real world one day and fall flat on their asses.’ I graduated high school in the 80’s and I’ve seen exactly what she’s talking about play out again and again. Popular kids in high school who are now divorced and raising their kids alone, working pathetic dead-end jobs, scraping to make ends meet. Unfortunately for them, at least, popularity doesn’t mean crap on a resume. It kinda makes you feel sorry for some of them. Kinda. I was never part of the popular crowd. But now, I have a handsome husband and 3 wonderful kids. We have a nice house in a good area, we own two businesses, and have everything we want or need and then some. We are happy. And you know what? It was like poetic justice when one of those former popular girls found out her husband had been coming on to me! LOL
User Detail :
Name : Marie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 36, City : Jeffersonville, State : IN, Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class,
MarieMemberYou refer to this disability as ‘simple.’ I have been depressed all my life. It wasn’t until I was well into adulthood (late 20’s) that I finally received professional help. I am creative and have an IQ well above what is considered average, yet my depression is so severe that without medication and therapy I find it all I can do to simply drag myself out of bed most days. I’ve lost most of my life to this ‘simple’ disease. I’ve suffered from fatigue, apathy, procrastination, debilitating headaches, poor memory, anxiety, low self-esteem, mood swings, inability to concentrate and suicidal thoughts. When I was younger I attempted suicide twice. When I failed, it just seemed to validate my opinion that I was worthless because I couldn’t even do THAT right. I also have Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). I’m extremely sensitive to changes in the weather. You ask, ‘Why can’t people deal with this disorder?’ It’s not my place to judge you, but I’m willing to bet your depression is or was a simple case. Or you were very lucky to find the proper medication fairly quickly. Not everyone is so fortunate. I can’t even tell you how many different meds I’ve tried. I have suffered headaches, weight gain, loss of interest in sex, even mild hallucinations from some of the meds I’ve been on. Occasionally, I’ll find one that works…for about a month, before I develop a sort of tolerance for it and have to try a different dosage and then finally a different medication altogether. It is a vicious cycle. I start to feel ‘normal,’ then I crash and feel even worse. I’ve tried therapy sessions. I’ve begged my psychiatrist to try ‘shock’ therapy. I also am a good wife, and a good mother to three beautiful, healthy children who happen to be gifted and talented. I thank God I don’t have to work, because I cannot do it. By the way, I’m not on disability. I’m finally beginning to feel ‘normal’. I’m taking high doses of three different meds. I’ll have to take medication for the rest of my life. I’m glad you are able to function well and lead a normal life. But your self-righteousness is insulting. Your ‘deal with it’ attitude sounds like something I’ve come to expect from a person who has never lived with depression, who has never felt worthless and alone, who has never known despair, who has never wanted to just end the misery. Believe it or not, for some people depression really is incapacitating.
User Detail :
Name : Marie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 36, City : Jeffersonville, State : IN, Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class, -
AuthorPosts
Dare To Ask Talk And News About Our Differences