Black women dating white men

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Cherri
    Why is it more acceptable for black men to date white women than it is for black women to date white men?

User Detail :  

Name : Cherri, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 31, City : Milwaukee, State : WI Country : United States, Occupation : Social Worker, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kimberla K
    More acceptable to who? Society as a whole? I think the common factor is 'men'. They often have a knee-jerk sense of 'our women dating one of them', in response to seeing another man of another race with one of their 'own'. It's the old testosterone thing. Anyway who cares? A woman should go out with whoever they feel like. Remember girls, you have the vagina, you have the power!

User Detail :  

Name : Kimberla K, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Atheist, Age : 33, City : Brooklyn, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Technology, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Whitney
    Amen! Someone else noticed this, too! I thought I was the only person who noticed that, while it seems okay and sometimes is perceived as a status symbol (black men dating white women), it is definately NOT okay in our culture for black women to date white men. Personally, I'm going to go for whoever treats me the best and to all my Sisters...if you happen to find your soul mate OUTSIDE our race then go for yours!!! Be happy! And to HELL what anyone else thinks because we all (all men and women) deserve to find love and happiness. I have black male friends who see nothing wrong with dating white women but came down hard on me when me a white male co-worker go too close...and only as friends because this man was married. However, were I to fall in love with a single white man, I would put as much passion into the relationship as I would any other and pray for the best.

User Detail :  

Name : Whitney, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 25, City : Tunica, State : MS Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Seamus28259
    Participant
    Among White men it is fine if your friend chooses to date a Black woman. The days of having relationships with Black women away from prying eyes are long gone. While most White men I know do not admit to being attacted to Black women, they definately do not put down those who are. As for Black women, I think history plays a part. The years of relationships of Black women and White men existing outside of 'good society' from slavery to the 1980s still weighs heavily on the minds of many Black women, and rightfully so.

User Detail :  

Name : Seamus28259, Gender : M, Age : 23, City : Charlestown, State : MA Country : United States, Social class : Lower middle class, 

justin26879
    Participant
    'anti-racists' characterize such relationships as between a 'slave' and a 'slave master', whereas if the genders are reversed, it represents the fruits of a society that has overcome racism. i'm not making this up. one can find these assertions all over this forum. we are, unfortunately, a long way from the time when one sees a mixed couple and thinks, 'why do all newlyweds dress the same?' rather than, 'what are they trying to prove?'.

User Detail :  

Name : justin26879, Race : White/Caucasian, City : CHICAGO, State : IL Country : United States, 

Chris32208
    Participant
    Well Cherri it is well know that white man and women are only enterested in one thing from black people and that is sex. The white man has done nothing but rape black women. That is one reason why alot of black men myself included dont like to see white men with black women. Actually its the other way around. It has never been acceptable for a black man and a white woman to be in a relationship. If a black man touches a white woman in a sexual manner he will most definatly be punished. Look at what is going on with Kobe Bryant. The white man can have sex with any race of women he wants and there is no problem with it.

User Detail :  

Name : Chris32208, City : waldorf, State : MD Country : United States, 

Candy
    Participant
    i don't think black/white dating is acceptable at all for either gender. The reason white women and black men dating is more tolerable is that it's much more common than white men dating black women.

User Detail :  

Name : Candy, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 18, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, 

Kellee
    Participant
    It depends where you live. For example, I have lived in various cities in Southern California, and have had many black female neighbors who are married to white men. I think this is partly due to the openness of California.

User Detail :  

Name : Kellee, Gender : F, Age : 27, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : photographer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Marie
    Participant
    I don't know how 'acceptable' it is - I don't think it's anyone's business really. But I have noticed that black men/white women couples are a lot more common than white men/black women. I've always wondered why this is. For some reason, I believe there is more to it than social acceptance. I just haven't figured out what it is.

User Detail :  

Name : Marie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 36, City : Jeffersonville, State : IN Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Audrey
    Participant
    Acceptable by whom? In the Black community- we are more prone to accept a Black male with a white female- yet, in the white community it is reversed (dates back to white masters and slave women). However, even within the black community- many black females are offended when they see their black male counterparts with women of other races. But the real question is, Will the day ever come when we will "care less" about skin tone, and focus more on values?

User Detail :  

Name : Audrey, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 36, City : Tampa, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Diversity Consultant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Beth
    I've often wondered the same thing, and by paying attention to comments made by women of color in women's groups I belong to as well as reading psychological theorists I have come to two possible conclusions: The deep pain and humiliation women of color endured from the irresponsible and often cruel sexual behavior of White men during the era of slavery in the U.S. has not healed---they rebuff the overtures of Caucasian males; Males are attracted to females who can give them an ego boost, and women of color don't have the societal status that would do that. But in truth, I've never received a satisfactory answer from any male I've asked about this.

User Detail :  

Name : Beth, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Heterosexual, Disability : Aged, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 70, City : Glen Gardner, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : Teacher - retired, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Jim
    Participant
    It doesn't matter, male/female. Blacks and Whites should not be dating or becoming life long partners. Mixed marriages are polluting our gene pool and destroying each race. I personally think that the reason it is more common for Black men to date white women is simply because it is a status symbol for black men.... White women are their trophy. As for white men dating black women, why bother, even black men don't want to date them.

User Detail :  

Name : Jim, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 44, City : Johnson City, State : TN Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

khia
    Participant
    I don't think black men dating white women is more accepted but it is more deeply rooted in the cultural ethos. Because this country defines the standard of beauty as blonde and blue eyed, it created an icon in white womanhood that becomes a status symbol for some men. Add to that the years of vicious racism that enforced the 'look, but don't touch' rule for black men, and you create a desire for an unattainable object. As the barriers to interracial dating came down, some black men still felt that that icon was worth acquiring. White men, to some degree, have not reached the point where they understand the beauty of black women, and hence don't feel the urge to cross the color line as much. (Of course, historically, they did it all the time but kept it on the down low.) Also, I have been told that white men are afraid to approach black women for fear of ....something.

User Detail :  

Name : khia, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, City : youngstown, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

O.T
    Participant
    I hope that I can answer your question without causing debate or any other hostile and unproductive feelings towards one another. It mostly has to do with the history between Whites and Blacks in this country beginning with slavery. All of this can be answered once you have done some extensive research on this topic. All of the issues that Americans have about crossing racial lines in their personal relation ships stems for the days in which one race held another race in bondage for nearly 500 years. These things ultimately has shaped the attitudes for both whites and blacks in this country when it comes to interacial dating between white men and black women and white women and black men. but in conclusion I will say that there is no visible proof to substaintiate the myth and that is what it is a myth, that it is or ever was a time in which white women and black dating each other to considered as sociallbly accepted more than white men and black women. They are both to this very day still considered a taboo.

User Detail :  

Name : O.T, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 32, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Self Employed, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Leslie22899
    Participant
    I guess it depends on your city/region. In NYC, one sees black female/white male couples as frequently as one sees black male/white female couples.

User Detail :  

Name : Leslie22899, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, City : New York City, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.