Why is ‘Black’ not capitalized?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Jayvee
    Participant
    I notice that printed media, in general, do not capitalize the term 'Black' when referring to African Americans -- in variance to other races, ethnicities or geographical groupings. For instance, it is not unusual to see a sentence like, 'Participants included Caucasians, Latinos, Asians and blacks.' Conversely, even a reference to 'Mid-Easterners' is typically capitalized. Is racism the reason for not capitalizing 'Black' when the word is used to reference an entire race of people?

User Detail :  

Name : Jayvee, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 47, City : Oakland, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Architect, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Seamus28228
    Participant
    I've always thought 'Black' and 'White' were pretty informal designations of people and that 'African-American' and 'Caucasian' generally are the proper terms which are usually capitalised. I think the latter two have more political usage while the former have social usage which doesn't seem as 'important' to many people. I do know that capitalising Black is becoming popular in many Black magazines. Some of those Black magazines, especially those that deal with rap music, don't even capitalise 'White!'

User Detail :  

Name : Seamus28228, Gender : M, Age : 23, City : Charlestown, State : MA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : Construction, Social class : Lower class, 

MElissa20781
    Participant
    Iv noticed them same for white people soo

User Detail :  

Name : MElissa20781, Gender : F, Age : 21, City : Antioch, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Katrina M.
    The words 'black' and 'white' are common nouns, and therefore are not capitalized; to do so is incorrect grammar. Conversely, Caucasian, African American, Middle Eastern, etc. are proper nouns and must be capitalized. the reason is grammar, not racism.

User Detail :  

Name : Katrina M., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Cajun French, Religion : non-practicing Catholic, Age : 20, City : Mobile, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Matt
    Participant
    I think this comes from the differing origins of different ethnic terms. Specific place names are proper nouns, and usually capitalized, such as the Caucasus Mountians, Africa, or the Middle East. Same goes for languages such as Latin. So, the ethnic terms we derive from those words - Caucasian, African-American, Middle Eastern, and Latino / Latina - are capitalized too. On the other hand, black and white - and red or yellow, although those have fallen out of favor - are simply colors. Colors on their own are not capitalized, so they are not used for ethnic terms either.

User Detail :  

Name : Matt, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 25, City : Oxford, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Andromeda
    Participant
    I believe it has to do with using proper grammar. I don't know where you're getting that some people capitalize white, but if they are, then they're wrong in doing so. Black and white aren't (and shouldn't) be capitalized because they are adjectives, yet the others, Latino, Asian, Middle Eastern, are capitalized b/c their roots words are nouns that are capitalized (Latino=Latin; Asian=Asia; Middle Eastern= Middle East.) If someone does capitalize white and not black and vice versa, you can either attribute it to ignorance or perhaps a hint of racism on their part. ;)

User Detail :  

Name : Andromeda, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Agnostic, Age : 17, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Andrew
    Participant
    i think i have noticed this as well. But i don't think racism is the reason. because the word black is very common to the english language it is often written in the context of a pro-noun uncapitalised. Then this would be a error. next posability is this all major publiscations are written via a computer and maybe spell checkers are the cause?

User Detail :  

Name : Andrew, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 30, City : Melbourne, State : NA Country : Australia, Occupation : IT professional, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

D. Ross
    The word black is not the real name of 'black people.' This name was given to us by Europeans, just like the words 'nigger' and 'colored.' We have a name, and it is Israel. Look at the history of the Israelites desribed in the Bible. Moses told Israel that it would be sold as bondmen and bondwomen to a people who were foreign and spoke a language that had never heard. No other race in the world fits this description but 'blacks.' Not even the Jews.

User Detail :  

Name : D. Ross, Gender : F, Age : 24, City : Ross, State : OH Country : United States, 

Deenie25811
    Participant
    Because these terms are technically incorrect, anyway. In publications like that, if they are saying 'Caucasian,' then they should be saying 'African American', too.

User Detail :  

Name : Deenie25811, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 13, City : Richmond, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Denisia25838
    Participant
    I don't know the answer to why 'black' is not capitalized, but I have noticed it. I don't prefer to use the word 'black' in refering to people. It sounds bad the way people say it. It's like they say 'bulaack'. I also really dislike it when people say 'blacks'. I say 'brown people' all of the time. Now everyone I know says 'brown,' too.

User Detail :  

Name : Denisia25838, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 21, City : Chantilly, State : VA Country : United States, 

Jessica
    Participant
    That's really strange. I've only seen Caucasian listed with African American, not Caucasian with 'black'. When I see lists of ethnicities, I either see 'white' and 'black' or 'African American' and 'Caucasian'. In both cases, the capitalization stays uniform. Perhaps what you've seen is just a typo? I really don't think it's a racist thing - white, black, green and purple aren't capitalized because they refer to colors rather than ethnicities.

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 23, City : Huntsville, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Katrina M.
    You are being a bit over-sensitive. I noticed you used the word Caucasian instead of white. The word white isn't capitalized, either. There is no racist reason; it isn't in capital letters either. The reason is that the words 'black' and 'white', even when referred to as a race, are common nouns, which aren't supposed to be capitalized. Conversely, Caucasian, African American, Latinos, etc. are proper nouns, therefore they are capitalized. If a reporter were to capitalize either the words black or white, they would be doing so against commonly accepted grammar, and their editor would change it.

User Detail :  

Name : Katrina M., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Cajun French, Religion : non-practicing Catholic, Age : 20, City : Mobile, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Matt
    Participant
    It's a question of style and usage. Neither 'white' nor 'black' are generally capitalized in print. The problem is that if 'black' were capitalized, 'white' would have to be, too. Capitalizing 'white' is associated with the writings of white supremacist groups. It also implies that whites are a single ethnic group, which many whites would find debatable. To be even-handed, the guys who wrote style books decided that if 'white' shouldn't be capitalized, neither should 'black.'

User Detail :  

Name : Matt, Gender : M, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 30, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Attorney, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Matt
    Participant
    Most articles, if they use the term 'white' to refer to an ethnic group, do not capitalize it either. I think they're simply following common rules of grammar. 'Caucasian' and 'Asian' tend to be capitalized because the Caucascus Mountains and Asia are proper nouns. Latin, being a proper noun, is also supposed to be capitalized, so its derivative Lation is, too. Even 'the Middle East' is usually capitalized when refering to a specific location. And 'African American' is supposed to be capitalized, too. However, black and white - and red, brown, or yellow, although those have fallen out of favor for ethnic references - are simply colors, and so they are not capitalized.

User Detail :  

Name : Matt, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 25, City : Oxford, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Steven
    Participant
    Black is not capatalized for the same reason 'white' is not : the terms are broadly used descriptions of race, but not the correct term for an ethnicity. African American is capitalized just like Caucasian because these words describe a proper ethnicity, but the term black or white is not a proper term. They are more or less just a description for a race.

User Detail :  

Name : Steven, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 24, City : Charleston, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.