ShirleyAvery

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 272 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Forbidden Fruit? #20764

    ShirleyAvery
    Member

    From what I’ve read, Catholic authorities do not correlate the two. Pedophilia is not limited to Catholic clergy, but I’d be willing to bet it’s much more prevalent in Catholic clergy than non-celebate clergy. It’s not normal to suppress sexual desire, esp. for men. But it’s a chicken and egg thing. Do sexually disturbed Catholic men enter the priesthood to avoid a healthy heterosexual relationship or does celibacy lead to unhealthy sexual practices? My guess is that it is both. Just Curious

    User Detail :  

    Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO, Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Evolution or creation #20765

    ShirleyAvery
    Member

    My guess is that toenails evolved from claws which were designed for protection and killing prey. I guess they still protect the toes a bit if you’re walking barefoot. Just Curious

    User Detail :  

    Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO, Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Evolution #20766

    ShirleyAvery
    Member

    I agree with you and it is scary how ignorance can parade as true religion. I have been watching a lot of education DVDs and reading books on Darwin, genetics and evolution. It’s clear that everything in nature evolves. We evolve from a single fertilized cell. Plants and animals evolve to maturity. It’s Darwinism that some religious folks object to. According to my research, it’s primarily in America that Christian fundamentalists deny Darwinism because it conflicts with a literal reading of Creation. I’m not sure why Europeans have less trouble accepting Darwinism. Those of us who interpret the bible more metaphorically have little problem reconciling religion with evolution. Just Curious

    User Detail :  

    Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO, Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Creationism vs. Evolution #20768

    ShirleyAvery
    Member

    I agree with you 100%. Creationism is NOT science. There is an interesting PBS series on Darwinism, evolution & religion that addresses these questions. I also object strenuously when religious people try to force their views on others in secular institutions. Remember a few years ago when Walmart decided to use “Happy Holiday” signs instead of “Merry Christmas”. As a Jew, I apprecieted their more inclusive message; however, some Christian extremists boycotted Walmart as being anti-Christian. I couldn’t believe it! Walmart is a store, not a church! And public school is not a church. As far as I’m concerned. Just Curious

    User Detail :  

    Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO, Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: sorry for being stereotypical! #20770

    ShirleyAvery
    Member

    Christian fanaticism is not limited to whites, nor to all Americans. I’m Jewish and believe in strict separation of religion and government, which includes public education. AS another person on YForum suggested, Darwinism should be taught in biology classes while creationism can be taught in churches or theology classes. It’s ridiculous to teach creationism in a science class. Faith does not rely on facts. It’s a matter of the heart, but that’s not science. Just Curious

    User Detail :  

    Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO, Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Why do kids commit suicide? #20772

    ShirleyAvery
    Member

    I am a Darwinist, not a creationist, but I think your response is harsh and unsympathetic. Depression and abuse from others may account for suicides. (It’s sad but true that many innocent children suffer physical, mental or sexual abuse from parents and other adults.) If you believe literally in survival of the fittest, then I guess you feel science shouldn’t interfere with biological determinism by creating medications for diabetes, hypertension, heart problems, etc. nor organ transplants for those who are “weaker”. There are even some animal species that protect the weaker ones. Just Curious

    User Detail :  

    Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO, Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: aborting children #20774

    ShirleyAvery
    Member

    I am also mystified why others feel compelled to meddle (even to the extent of passing laws) regarding the such behaviors. Why can’t they live and let live? I don’t think it’s boredom so much as religious fanatacism that propels them. I’m also repelled and offended when others try to convert me to their religion. As a Jew, I wish they’d just leave us alone. Apparently, part of Christian doctrine suggests that you get extra brownie points for successful proselytizing. I don’t know enough about Christianity to say whether these folks are misinterpreting scripture or what, but I cannot imagine a good religion that disrespects other legit. religions. Just Curious

    User Detail :  

    Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO, Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: MOST PEOPLE ARE RACIST #20777

    ShirleyAvery
    Member

    There’s a song in the musical comedy “Avenue Q”. The song is titled “Everyone’s a little bit racist”. I guess insecure people are always looking for some group to feel superior to. Where does it come from? Mostly fear. Looking at the history of the world, there were so many wars and battles by neighboring countries and farawy lands, that I guess lots of people felt the only ones they could trust were their immediate neighbors. If you extrapolate that, there are a lot of scary people out there to fear. Does this make it OK? No, but it provides some kind of logical explanation. Just Curious

    User Detail :  

    Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO, Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: let it go #20778

    ShirleyAvery
    Member

    I agree that a lot of AMerican blacks use slavery as an excuse for not succeeding in American society. If you look at blacks who have succeeded – OBama, Condie Rice, Collin Powell, Thurgood Marshall – you will find they became well educated and spoke proper English. There are no short cuts to success unless you inherit wealth and few of us are in that category. I feel that the black victim mentality is holding back a lot of African Americans. Bill Cosby said something along those lines and was crucified by black leaders for speaking his mind. Hey, I’m Jewish and don’t use the Holocaust as an excuse for failure. Jews have been persecuted, killed & tortured for their beliefs over millenia, yet we’ve succeeded well beyond our small numbers because we put a lot of emphasis on educa

    User Detail :  

    Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO, Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Abortion #20779

    ShirleyAvery
    Member

    I agree with your post. That’s why we call ourselves “Pro-Choice” which is accurate, rather than “pro-abortion”. Each women deserves to make that personal decision for herself. I would ask those anti-abortionists who declare themselves “pro-life” if they fight the death penalty, needless war and other political practices that result in unnecessary deaths. Obviously, killing a physician who performs abortions is NOT pro-life. Just Curious

    User Detail :  

    Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO, Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: How do I make my legs more attractive? #20780

    ShirleyAvery
    Member

    Some women find hairy men attractive and sexy. If your legs are pathologically hairy compared to the rest of your body, see a doctor. Might be an endocrine problem; otherwise, don’t worry about it. Just Curious

    User Detail :  

    Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO, Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Bigger the house, the smaller the tip! #20781

    ShirleyAvery
    Member

    I’ve heard waitresses say they get the best tips from working class people who can empathize with another worker. Some of the rich are in a whole other world with no idea how the rest of us live. Also, I understand that most charitable contributions (apart from Bill Gates) come from poor & middle class folks. What consoles me is that what goes around comes around. Just Curious

    User Detail :  

    Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO, Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Humor is related to pain #20737

    ShirleyAvery
    Member

    I wouldn’t agree with this generalization. Thinkof jokes starting with ” A guy walks into a bar…” Politicians, athletes and other public personalities have chosen a lifestyle which makes them easy targets, but they are aware of that risk and many are very well paid, crying all the way to the bank. Sometimes humor is used to soften a truth that needs to be exposed, but political correctness and fear of litigation forbid an honest explanation. Some people who claim to be sensitive and liberal feel it’s ok to tell jokes about older people or fat people. Everyone has his own standards and we can control what we choose to hear on radio, tv, movies, etc. Just Curious

    User Detail :  

    Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO, Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Why are people so infatuated with wealth? #20738

    ShirleyAvery
    Member

    First of all, there are negligent and uncaring parents in all classes, just as there are loving, available parents in all classes. It’s true that money can’t compensate for a neglegent parent, but it can relieve you from a lot of chronic stress that poor kids face every day. I’m not a kid, but as a very low income adult, I can tell you that wealth gives people many more options – not just bling and nice clothes, but the ability to live in safer areas and afford better health care. When you can afford a newer car, you don’t have the constant stress of an old car owner who’s always worried what will need to be repaired next. When you can pay your bills, at least rent, utilities & food without a problem, you have the luxury of not worrying about these issues which plague some of

    User Detail :  

    Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO, Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Mental illness: Be afraid? #20739

    ShirleyAvery
    Member

    American society still has a double standard about depression. On one hand, they agree it’s a real illness; on the other hand, they same to feel we are lazy if we can’t work full-time and function more normally, even with meds. More severe mental illnesses scare people because they believe (sometimes justifiably) that psychotic people who are untreated are dangerous and unpredictable. I used to wonder why some of these afflicted folks refuse to take medication that clearly helps their psychosis. Now I know that some of those meds have very unpleasant side effects or seem to turn one into a zombie. Life is unfair Just Curious

    User Detail :  

    Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO, Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 272 total)