Why brag about bad grades?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Augustine23595
    Participant
    People like this do not want to be in school in the first place, and I do not think they should be forced to be there. They think school is a joke and they will never amount to anything in life. If you study hard, really try to master the material, and still get a bad grade, undoubtedly you learned something in the process, even though the grade doesn't reflect it. I have had many high school and college courses where I made a mediocre grade, yet learned quite a bit. But I think it's a pretty fair bet that those who are actually proud of bad grades have made absolutely no effort to learn. We should teach people how to read, write, and do simple math, and if they display by their consistent attitude that they're not interested in anything more, let them quit school and pursue a life of menial labor. Then if there is some intelligence there after all, maybe in a few years they'll wake up and want to get an education after all. There should be 'second chance schools' for people who fall into this category. But the existing strategy of 'graduate everyone from high school so they'll feel good about themselves' is a losing battle. I had a recent high school graduate working for me who was measuring some cable for a customer and had to ask me how many inches are in a foot! I do not want my tax money spent to fund schools that turn out this sort of graduate.

User Detail :  

Name : Augustine23595, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 39, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : Former Retailer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

C.S.
    Participant
    Why is it that people from public high schools who I've met seem to be boastful and almost proud when they get really low grades in school?

User Detail :  

Name : C.S., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Catholic, Age : 17, City : La Mirada, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

s28519
    Participant
    that's not exactly true. i go to public school and i hate getting bad grades, so do a lot of the people i know. there are some people who like getting bad grades maybe because it doesn't make them seem like nerds or whatever. oh, well, it's their loss

User Detail :  

Name : s28519, Gender : F, Race : Asian, Religion : Christian, Age : teens, City : a, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Dan
    Participant
    Basically, it's a form of rebellion, just like smoking weed or getting a tattoo. I was an F student back in my junior high and high school days. The first time I got an F, I freaked out, and I knew my parents were going to kill me. Sure enough, I caught plenty of heat, and I suffered the consequences. But after my fourth report card in a row with Ds and Fs, it became a thrill. My friends and I would compare report cards and give props to the one with the worst grades. To make the point in one sentence: Such kids think they have no future in the 'legitimate' real world, and bad grades are a badge of defiance against what their teachers and parents (sometimes just teachers) want them to be. The badder your grades, the badder you are.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : na, Race : Chicano, Religion : Pentecostal Christian, Age : 21, City : Los Angeles area, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Lower middle class, 

ShirleyAvery
    Participant
    Why are some H.S. students proud of low grades? They're probably overcompensating for their lack of achievement and/or rationalizing their laziness or perhaps unaware of an undiagnosed learning disability. It may be immaturity. A few years of flipping burgers may change their minds or they may cry racisim or consider themselves hapless victims, blaming others instead of looking at their own choices Just Curious

User Detail :  

Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dot
    Participant
    Where the public schools have a 50% drop out rate and the majority of Latino kids openly tell the newspapers that they regard education as something "the man" is trying to inflict upon them. We have crappy schools in the Southland. This is just a fact. Teachers who don't care but are protected by a powerful union. Activists who would prefer a large, uneducated and angry mob in order to push their agenda instead of thoughtful, knowledgeable young people ready to take on the mantle of leadership. Break the mold, get an education and be part of the solution instead of part of the problem.

User Detail :  

Name : Dot, Gender : Female, Age : none, City : L.A., State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.