ShirleyAvery

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 272 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Free speech vs. detention hall #21303

    ShirleyAvery
    Member

    It’s not a matter of free speech. It’s a matter of appropriate speech and personal discipline. The purpose of school is to teach new information, AND the kind of behavior you’ll need if you want a job better than flipping burgers. FRankly, you wouldn’t last long even working at McDonalds if you “spoke your mind” in front of customers. You can talk with your friends on your own time in whatever way you want as long as you’re not harassing someone else. School is not there for your entertainment. It’s educational and just as I hated math classes, it was a good discipline and I have actually applied some things I learned. Just Curious

    User Detail :  

    Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO, Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: What have Jewish people done to draw hostility? #21304

    ShirleyAvery
    Member

    I’m Jewish and agree you should be also adressing the Jew haters. My answer to your question is: jealousy and fear. Education has always been stressed for Jews as it has for Asians. Better education usually means better jobs, more prosperity. Uneducated people don’t see that connection. That think that Jews are more successful because they are devious. Ironically, the main reason Jews have gone into professional higher paying service jobs like medicine & law is that during antisemitic years in Europe, they were forbidden to own land and couldn’t become farmers, and were prohibited from other types of occupations. Just Curious

    User Detail :  

    Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO, Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Political Correctness #21305

    ShirleyAvery
    Member

    I think we’ve gone overboard on political correctness as a backlash to a time when truly offensive words were used to describe various ethnic groups. Whereas the “N” word is offensive, “Black” is simply descriptive, as is “white”. Interesting that the NAACP has retained its original name: National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. Just Curious

    User Detail :  

    Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO, Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Political Correctness #21306

    ShirleyAvery
    Member

    Chill out and get some perspective. The author of the question is from the Netherlands, which does not have a “long history of religious persecutions, etc.” Not all Europeans are perpetrators of persecution and religious intolerance. My Jewish ancestors were the victims of millenia of antisemitism in the form of torture, death, holocaust, etc. Jews were vicims, not perpetrators of The Crusades & Spanish inquisition. Despite all this, as a Jew, I am sick and tired of political correctness. People have lost their sense of humor and perspective. There’s a difference between hateful, mean-spirited speech and teasing about stereotypical behaviors. As a Jew, I can attest that stereotypes have some validity. I have the stereotypical Jewish mother, the kind you see portrayed on TV and

    User Detail :  

    Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO, Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Any old-fashioned young men left? #21307

    ShirleyAvery
    Member

    I was in my 20’s when Women’s Lib started. I believe in equal rights, equal pay, etc. for women, but I think many women who felt victims of oppression and unfair treatment went to the opposite extreme to show their independence and,in the process, lost their sense of humor and perspective. It’s ironic because the behaviors you describe are a sign of respect to women and some women react stupidly to your opening a car door by saying, “I can do it myself”. Of course they can. That’s not the issue. These are not the women you want. They need to chill out. I’ve always appreciated these courtesies from men and ALWAYS thank them, not just out of gratitude, but to encourage them to keep doing these things. It must be confusing to men over 45 – damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

    User Detail :  

    Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO, Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Bill Cosby’s Crusade #21308

    ShirleyAvery
    Member

    I agree with the spirit of your question. Despite the fact that today’s blacks are many generations removed from slavery, they still view themselves as victims and that is holding them back. Hey, I’m Jewish and my ancestors have been tortured and persecuted for millenia, esp. in the Crusades, Spanish Inquistion and Holocaust. But instead of continuing to act as victims, Jews have become educated to uplift themselves. (Asian immigrants have done the same.) During the great depression, my father was the oldest child of a poor, divorced mother with 6 kids. He worked his butt off, not only to support the family, but to make good grades in school to get him into a good college and medical school. Nobody handed him a scholarship. He worked part time throughout college and paid off hi

    User Detail :  

    Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO, Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Does wealth make you happier? #21309

    ShirleyAvery
    Member

    Some wealthy people are never satisfied, always want more. Others, like Bill Gates become philanthropists. I’m low income and it’s simply true that people with more money (not super-rich, just upper middle class) have access to better health care, dental care, psychological care. They can afford a more nutritious diet. They can be less stressed out by hiring someone to do their housework, cooking, etc. They can afford cosmetic surgery to make them feel younger and more attractive. They can afford newer cars and homes in safer neighborhoods. They don’t have the chronic worry about affording the basics. They can afford private schools and college educations for their kids. They can afford to go to the gyms and work out. Can money buy happiness? Not exactly, but it can certainly

    User Detail :  

    Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO, Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Turn that $%*& music down! #21314

    ShirleyAvery
    Member

    I guess it’s OK for me to blow cheap cigar smoke right into your face and if you have a problem with that, wear a face mask; if I want to bathe in cheap perfume and sit right next to you at work, wear nose plugs all day. What a selfish brat you are! It is your freedom to listen to music as loud as you want – with earphones! The laws of society are that your rights end when you abuse the rights of others. Your loud music is noise pollution illegal in some states/ If you were driving with a migraine headache and I was in the car next to you blasting Beethoven’s 9th symphony, would you smile tolerantly. When you go deaf prematurely, better be careful crossing the street because of drivers like you may be too busy feeling the beat to pay attention to others. Just Curious

    User Detail :  

    Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO, Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Circumcision Revisited #21315

    ShirleyAvery
    Member

    Having experience with both, I prefer circumcised. It’s just cleaner. My uncircumcised boyfriend was a wonderful guy and great lover. Although he bathed every day, it never seemed clean. Also, I got urinary infections on a regular basis after sex with him even though his penis size and technique were not significantly different than other guys I’ve been with. I loved him and that’s not the cause of our break-up, but based on my cultural experiences, I find a circumcised cock more aesthetically appealing. I suspect people in other cultures feel the reverse. Just Curious

    User Detail :  

    Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO, Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Rock and rap: Are they good or bad things? #21316

    ShirleyAvery
    Member

    Jazz, rock, rap, classical, country-western, heavy metal, show tunes, etc – it’s a matter of personal taste. I don’t like rap in general for 2 reasons – a lot of rap lyrics celebrate violence and treating women like whores. That offends & scares me. Secondly, I like songs with melodies so well crafted, you can enjoy the music without the lyrics. Rap doesn’t do it for me. You may use my name & demographic details. Just Curious

    User Detail :  

    Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO, Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Retirement inertia? #21317

    ShirleyAvery
    Member

    I do volunteer work, attend women’s support meetings twice a week, I write theatre reviews for a local radio station, do freelance writing from my home, go dancing 1-3 times a week, go to doctors & dentists more often than I did when young. I also enjoy DVDs, reading and sex (not necessarily in that order). I exercise at CURVES 3-4 times a week. I have the freedom and flexibility to do more of what I want, though not enough money to do as much traveling and dance lessons as I’d like. NO, I don’t have much money, but everything in life is a trade-off and I prefer the freedom & flexibility. Just Curious

    User Detail :  

    Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO, Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: How to teach an old dog new tricks #21318

    ShirleyAvery
    Member

    When you’re teaching students, it’s appropriate to correct others; otherwise, most people don’t appreciate being “corrected” regardless of age. It’s perceived as condescending and self-righteous. I’m a former English teacher and have an older friend who is a retired English teacher. She often corrects people who make grammatical errors. Nobody appreciates it and most find it annoying and snooty. The English I hear spoken even by some friends, is not always correct in terms of grammar, usage or pronunciation, but I listen with my heart instead of my head for the content. Unless they’ve asked me to correct them, it’s not my job. Just Curious

    User Detail :  

    Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO, Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Arrogance or Ignorance? #21319

    ShirleyAvery
    Member

    For the last 8 years, we’ve had an idiot for a conservative president (I never voted for Bush). His arrogance and American ethnocentrism does not apply to all US citizens. Some of us think he’s been an embarassment to our country. As far as he’s concerned, it’s the golden rule: he who has the gold, rules. Just Curious

    User Detail :  

    Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO, Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: “Everyday People”? #21320

    ShirleyAvery
    Member

    I believe “everyday people” are considered middle-middle class or lower, people without special priveleges or wealth. The term is used condescendingly sometimes by those who consider themselves smarter, more sophisticated or wealthier. Simpler definition: people who have to work for a living and often live from one paycheck to the next. Just Curious

    User Detail :  

    Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO, Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Fathers/Daughters – time spent together #21321

    ShirleyAvery
    Member

    My dad was a doctor and we kids saw very little of him growing up. We were given the impression that it was because he was doing something more important, saving lives. That was partly true, but when I confronted dad about it in my 30’s, he told me the truth: he was just avoiding my mom, a nagging wife. I still resent not getting to see much of him. However, I worked at his office one summer as a teenager and got to seem him in a whole different context where he was relaxed, competent and funny. It’s a shame that a bad marriage get him from us kids. Just Curious

    User Detail :  

    Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO, Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 272 total)