Why don’t teens cherish virginity?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 111 total)
  • Author

Bas
    Participant
    Interesting choice of words, Anna from Memphis. 'Cherish'? 'Anymore'? What's to cherish? What's so special about NOT having sex? The bigger a point you make of it, the less you'll like it later on... It's just a biological function that happens to feel good. But with all the morality involved, it just makes it an issue, something scary or filthy. Why is that? As for the 'Anymore' part... I gather you mean in the United States in your grandparent's time, right? There used to be times - and there still are places - where virginity has not much meaning. The way it should be. Therefore I have a question of my own. Why don't teens cherish sex anymore? Why would they want to abstain from it so long and wait for someone they may or may not be with twenty years from now? If sex had been less of an issue when I was a teen, I wouldn't have had such a horrible high school period...

User Detail :  

Name : Bas, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 34, City : Amsterdam, State : NA Country : The Netherlands, Occupation : Designer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

del fab
    Participant
    I don't understand why people make such a big matter of being a virgin... I'm not a virgin anymore but I waited untill I was sure about me and my girfriend. Don't do it if you don't want it, but respect people who have chosen to use the pleasures that life offers you. Make sure you love the one and he or she loves you... than is everything allright..

User Detail :  

Name : del fab, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 18, City : utrecht, State : WY Country : The Netherlands, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

jen30969
    Participant
    I think it's great that you are waiting for your wedding day, but not all people want to. Cherishing your virginity doesn't mean waiting till your married, It means having enough respect for yourself to know when you are ready, I am 21 now and had sex for the first time just over a year ago. I did cherish my virginity, i had many oppertunities, but didn't feel ready before that. I am happy that i waited till i was 20. Sex is a very important part in a relationship, wether people want to admit it or not, and i want to know wether i am sexually compatable with someone before i marry them. But if yoy choose to wait till your married, that is wonderful, and I agree with the fact that teenagers don't take sex as seriously as they should.

User Detail :  

Name : jen30969, Gender : F, Age : 21, City : mississauga, State : NA Country : Canada, 

Georgina
    well i think its social pressure. In moves and other media teens are encouraged to have sex and it has in a way become the in thing to do. Also in some cases teens may feel bad to hear their friends talking about doing it and may feel that they are missing something and may feel inadequate because they don't have sex

User Detail :  

Name : Georgina, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian but not exactly, Age : 18, City : Bridgetown, State : NA Country : Barbados, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Rose29483
    Participant
    A good number of young girls engage in sexual activity at a very young age either because they got too curious wanting to know what it felt like, or they did so in order to please their partner. They might also want to do it in order to be rebellious. I am a virgin, and out of my closest friends that I've known for years and years (some since I was born) only one in addition to myself has remained a virgin, and she's 20 yrs old. For us, it has just so happened that none of the guys we've met have felt like the right guy to have sex with.

User Detail :  

Name : Rose29483, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 22, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : Graduate Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Charlie32285
    Participant
    As sad as it is, I agreew with you. I think there is too much pressure on teens to 'grow up.' It's not longer enough to start developing as a young adult, but they feel a need to act like one as well. It does not help that the 'role models' include young women strutting around in practically nothing and that being widely available to guys of all ages. Young girls want to be wanted and appreciated even if it means giving something up that would mean the world to them.

User Detail :  

Name : Charlie32285, Gender : M, City : Rockford, State : IL Country : United States, 

Avril
    Participant
    Hi Anna I would like to start this response by thanking you. I am currently writing a research paper on sexual beliefs and attitudes. The question you are asking has multiple answers.(Depending on who you ask). Have you ever noticed how a girl is pushed (more often than boys) to 'preserve' and 'protect' her virginity at all cost? I know you might feel all 'holier than thou' because you are in the percentage of the U.S. population that hasn't gotten laid....BUT theoretically Anna, virginity is whatever you want and/or perceive it to be. It's a state of mind. When you loose your virginity you don't loose an arm or anything. Personally, I think it's a little too revered in today's society. Oh and to finally answer your question... Most teens don't feel like sex is the end of the world. Sex is sex. Its not dirty or bad...its nature. (Even bunnies do it!!) I wasn't in a rush. My fiancé and I have been having sex for a while but we've been together for a long time and we are two consenting responsible adults.

User Detail :  

Name : Avril, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : black/white mix, Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : Ausrin, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : College student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Jason31245
    Participant
    I think saving your virginity until marriage isnt neccesarily a good idea. Like a few others have posted, it is not a magical experience, to say the least. It usualy involves a lot of awkwardness, pain and mess. Not exactly how you want to spend your wedding night, which is supposed to be magical. Saving it until you are with the person you are almost positive you want to spend your life with, is another matter. That is to be commended. But the first time is going to hurt, and sometimes the second and third as well, or at least not be enjoyable. I know some of you are probably thinking I am full of sh*t, but I have known a few couples that were saving themselves, then got married, sometimes only so they could have sex, then shortly thereafter got divorced because they realized they werent a good match, or one party liked sex so much they wanted to go see what it was like with others (both parties mind you, not just men, in fact, I knew more women to do this than men). Some kids just want to get it over with, they've heard stories about how its not all that great, it hurts the first time, etc. So they just go out and do it so that when they find someone they DO care about, they wont be awkward and unexperienced when it comes to giving pleasure to the person they love.

User Detail :  

Name : Jason31245, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 25, City : Panama City, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

CHARLES-ROBERT
    Participant
    VIRGINITY IS A PROPERTY ISSUE WHEN ONE OWNED A WOMAN FOR ALL INTENTS AND PURPOSES ONE WANTED A VIRGIN...A WOMAN WHO HAD KNOWN NONE BUT YOU....THIS WAS PRIMARILY TIED TO AGES 11 TO 16...WHEN WOMEN WERE CHOSEN FOR BETROTHAL..THE IDEA HAS FLLEN OUT OF FAVOR IN MANY SOCIETIES WHERE WOMEN ARE NO LONGER CONSIDERED PROPERTY OR LESSER THAN...SUCH AS THE USA......AND WHERE YOUNG MARRIAGE IS NOT COVETED AS A SOCIETAL NORM...

User Detail :  

Name : CHARLES-ROBERT, City : ALTOONA, State : PA Country : United States, 

Oscar
    Participant
    A true hero you are! I am 49, should be a grandfather by today's standards. I have yet to give it up. Go ahead and laugh, as God knows it to be true. While in the Military I met and courted a true princess. In time I got to know her eyes, her voice, her touch, her fragrance, her being. I came to know her artform. She has a command of Grace, Spirit and Mind. She skates on ice just as well as she lives. I grew up in an environment where losing virginity was as common as a repeat visit to the Juvenile Detention Center! What you possess is the greatest gift god bestowed that you could call yours. It is yours until you give it to someone of your choosing. It can never be taken away forcibly, it can't be stolen. Only your heart can promise it to that special man. That special man will cherish it to be of true spirit because he too should be willing to offer his virginity. Virginity is a one-time use. It had better be consentual by both hearts. For only time together, experiences together can create the bonding of mind and body that creates love for each other. Your senses will be taken over by your hearts, Time will enrich the mix of your souls as you'll get to know the inside of what is to be the merging of two into one for life. It is called Marriage. Without any one of the described ingridients it will fail. Due to her illness we were not able to have enough of the ingredient Time. Our hearts had made the commitment unto marriage, ring and all. She was recieved into the great beyond, I lost my mate but had there been more time I would have been a Father at the least. I still have that Great gift and it is still mine until my heart says it is not. Down the road of life, who knows? You are what others would like to be. If you don't believe it, just read the posted responses!

User Detail :  

Name : Oscar, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Humanist, Age : 49, City : Pima, State : AZ Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

R30174
    Participant
    I've just turned 21 and I still cherish my virginity! I was so relieved when I read your question. It made me glad that young people like you and me still value sex. It's so hard to find and talk to other people who don't think that sex is a recreational activity. All my close friends think that sex is just a rite of passage from adolescence to adulthood, but I couldn't disagree more. Like you, I think that my virginity is a unique gift because I can give it away only once. I definitely plan on giving myself to the person who says 'I do.' I'm saving myself because I recognize the value of intimacy. Plus, I'll never have to explain the sordid details of my past sex life to my future husband. I'll be able to tell him that I saved my body for him - only him. What could be more flattering?

User Detail :  

Name : R30174, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Catholic, Age : 21, City : Miami, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
    I had the chance one time when I was 13. (trust me this story is going somewhere) It was all fine and dandy making out on the couch, then she said she wanted 'me in her.' Well all sorts of things ran through my head. 'Yea dude, she's 17 ur 13, good job...but she's not really hot, so it levels out.' Also, 'Uh dude, you're gonna get her pregnant..get a condom moron.. um I don't think so' Finally the whisper I was mainly trying to ignore saying 'Yo hommie, God said wait for that, so don't screw that up either' So with that triple point slammy, the night ended there. As far as 'cherish' virginity, the problem is not with virginity losing or maintaining, it's about being able to truly cherish anything. Maybe this is really a some sort of thing that only I personally have read into, or it's true. Either way, I think that in order to be able to place value on something, you must be able to say whether it is a loss or a gain. To some people virginity isn't that cherishable because there is no foreseeable loss by losing it. To some people the only loss is how they would feel about the emotional connection that was absent at the time perhaps, or that it results in something more serious like an STD or baby. When they feel they are safe from consquences and feel as though they are getting nothing, but pleasure and enjoyment, then it can clearly be understood the perspective of those who do not cherish their virginity. When a person either believes that it is something worth holding on to, that it has a degree of worth, whether that is personal, spirtual, or otherwise engrained into the person that it should not be done until marriage or 'that special person', only then can it be cherished.

User Detail :  

Name : Daniel Wayne Johnston, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 18, City : Clarksville, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : Computer Tech, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Cliff
    I'm 17 and lost my virginity at 15 years old. At the time, I thought, and still think, that 15 was way too young. There's something about the age of 15 that still seems innocent and childish. In 2 months I am expecting the birth of my first child - a baby girl. At first, the news of being a father at the age of 17 was not a very pleasent concept, but as the countdown to my girlfriends due date gets closer, I'm engulfed in excitement. No one - not my parents, friends, relatives - were happy about this unexpected pregnancy, but we soldiered on and got over it. I realized quickly that a baby couldn't be born into a world of resentment, humans need love and affection to be able to live. I've been with my girlfriend for 2 years. I lost my virginity to her and havn't had sex with anyone else. Before she got pregnant we had sex on a regular basis. Abortion was always an option. I live in America, anything is always an option. I respect the decision most teenage girls make who chose that particular route. You have to understand most girls get pregnant and their boyfriend leaves them, an abortion is the best option. At all of the clinics and OB/GYN medical offices my girlfriend and I go to for appointments, doctors are quick to tell me that I'm the first boy they've seen at these appointments. I'm proud of that. Whether you are pro-choice or 'pro-life' depends on your definition of 'life.' I put pro-life in quotations because that term is pretty vague. What is life? Who defines life? In all states in America it is illegal to get an abortion after a cetain period of time. Before that, however, the questions persists - is an embryo life? Depending on the propoganda you listen to or read, your definition of life or knoqledge of the abortion process probably differs. Why attack Planned Parenthood? All their organization is doing is proving options for teenagers who need them. My school has a partnership with Planned Parenthood. They sponsor meetings for the pregnant girls at our school, not to push abortion, but to inform them of the path they are about to travel, to teach them parenting techniques and to give them the knowledge of pregnancy they can't get anywhere else. With that said, stop preaching to me. I'm sick of people who are so called compassionates, people who are anti-abortion, but chose not to support pregnant teenagers because they look down upon them.

User Detail :  

Name : Cliff, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 17, City : Newport News, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

rufus
    CAUSE FUCKING IS FUN... PHUN. PHUN.

User Detail :  

Name : rufus, City : your mom, State : LA Country : United States, 

Ron29645
    Participant
    I suspect it is because of the values they were taught, or not taught. Society tends to 'cheapen' things that are inconvenient, or hard to attain. Best wishes for your happiness and for a future partner for you who respects the gift you will give on your wedding night.

User Detail :  

Name : Ron29645, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 56, City : APO, State : NA Country : Forward Location, Occupation : Pilot Training, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 111 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.