Why don’t teens cherish virginity?

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 111 total)
  • Author

Jessica
    Participant
    Anna, I am so proud to hear of someone that does still cherish this... I was born and raised in Memphis, Tn and it was very hard to find friends that could understand why you would want to wait. Alot of it is due to peers and being popular. I'm very proud of you!!!!!

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica, Gender : F, Age : 26, City : Benoit, State : MS Country : United States, Occupation : Teacher, 

Jessica
    Participant
    I am 19. I lost my virginity when I was 16 to my boyfriend of a year. I now have a reasonable number of people that I have slept with. Some meant something to me, and some didn't. Teenagers these days don't care because they are way more free to express themselves. In earlier times women were taught that they were supposed to grow up and serve their husbands, and take care of the children. That, and religion, is why women preserved their virginity. These days, it is not uncommon to find a woman who is 40 or 50 who is still not married. So if i never plan on marrying, what is the point of keeping my virginity?

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 19, City : Pittsburgh, State : PA Country : United States, 

Melissa
    Participant
    I am a teenager and I cherish my virginity very much, and I don't plan to lose it until my wedding night. It's a choice you have to make and have to commit to, but the main thing you need realize is that in some environments it's hard. What are you supposed to do when everyone you know is doing it and no ones telling you not to? Not everyone grew up in a Christian home or whatever. We all have different values and beliefs that shape our choices in life.

User Detail :  

Name : Melissa, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 15, City : Alexandria, State : VA Country : United States, 

Eraserhead
    Participant
    Many people don't "cherish" their virginity because they don't see it as a symbol of anything. Christians (and many non-Christians) see their virginity as a symbol of purity, decency and moral conviction. Others either don't value these things or have other aspects of the self that they think better show these characteristics. For them, keeping one's virginity is not worth missing out on the myriad of sexual experiences that make-up some of the most important, passionate and intense parts of human life itself.

User Detail :  

Name : Eraserhead, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 22, City : Pittsburgh, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Gonzo
    Participant
    I think the BIG issue you may not realize is this: Most girls your age in the not so distant past would be MARRIED by now. Remaining a virgin until marriage is easy when you marry soon after becoming a teen. In fact, a girl your age being unmarried would be a scandal a century or so ago. I mean, what is wrong with you that no man has taken you yet as a wife? ;-) As we marry later, have made advances in birth control, etc, the reasons for remaining a virgin have disappeared. The only reason now is because you want to. Whether this is for purely personal reasons or as a result of religious doctrine/dogma, it still becomes a personal choice.

User Detail :  

Name : Gonzo, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Anglo-Hispanic, Religion : Wiccan, Age : 33, City : Monterey, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Military, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Josh
    Participant
    There are many people out there who 'cherish' their virginity and many of them are taught by their families, their schools and/or their religion to 'cherish' it. It has been my experience as well as that of most people I know, that when you are a young person, you can't wait to be an adult. Often this is because the rules imposed on children are very restrictive. Kids can't see certain movies, they aren't allowed in many public places and they are often placed as a kids table at gatherings. Part of becoming an adult is going through your 'coming of age' period, and when people use that expression, they mean, 'old enough to have sex.' The idea that your virginity is a special 'gift' that you are reserving for a special man that you will be with for the rest of your life is the height of naivete. Most people do not meet the person of their dreams in their teens, and statistically speaking, one of the major reasons for divorce is that people get married too young, before they are fully formed as people. The things that people want as teens are not the same things that people want when they are older. Sex can be a wonderful part of any relationship, but I can tell you that I would never marry a woman that I didn't have sex with first, and I doubt I would be interested in a girl who was a virgin simply because inexperience is not very attractive. There are lots of men who will be interested in you because you are a virgin, but that doesn't mean that they will love you forever, or cherish you, or value your gift of virginity as much as you value it. Implied in your question is the assertion that people who have sex before marriage do not cherish their virginity, and that's simply not the case. Just because you value something doesn't mean you have to hold on to it forever. If you liked a sandwich very much, you wouldn't make it better by waiting 2 years to eat it, would you? Virginity carries some currency now, but a 25-year-old virgin is not going to find a lot of guys who are interested because given a choice between a woman with experience, who knows what she wants, and a naive virgin with notions that she's saving it for someone special, most guys will pick experience. I know I would.

User Detail :  

Name : Josh, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 35, City : New York City, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Writer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mattizzle
    Participant
    now really.... why dont we all join church and start becoming nuns and priests? there is nothing wrong in any way with sex before marriage. guys have an idea that they will sleep with more than one girl in their life. so really, if you are waiting to get married then having sex, i would be interested to know how long this marriage lasts. this guy might be what you want in life, but you will soon find that sex plays a huge part in a relationship and if the person isnt up to scratch, then it was a pointless idea to begin with. what i suggest is sleep with a boyfriend and you will understand what you want in the bedroom rather then have him mess up on the wedding night and have the uncomfort of knowing it should have been better. also would you want to marry a virgin to?

User Detail :  

Name : Mattizzle, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 20, City : adelaide, State : NA Country : Australia, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Kim
    Participant
    I think this is a major issue with teens today, and the reason for an increase in pregnancy, STDs, and AIDS. I know that I felt pressured into having sex for the first time. It seemed like everyone was having sex and I wanted to know what I was missing. I wish I had waiting until marriage before I lost my virginity, but you can't take it back. Teens should remember to stay independent in their actions instead of worrying about what everyone else is doing. Virginity is very sacred and shouldn't be given away to just anybody.

User Detail :  

Name : Kim, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : Greenville, State : MS Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jessica Woods
    Participant
    I think the reason no one cherishes virginity is because it is not cool to be a virgin. It portrayed as the cool thing to do, just watch television or listen to the radio. I personally waited until I was married. My husband and I were each other's first. It was the best thing. Sex is so intimate and I can't imagine having it so casually with someone you just met or have known for a short time.

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica Woods, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 20, City : Sidon, State : MS Country : United States, Occupation : college student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

A-virgin-for-now
    Participant
    I'll try to answer your question both in the broader sense and from my own point of view. I think a lot of teens do still cherish their virginity. I certainly do and I'm not religious at all. I do not, however, believe that it is necessary to wait until marriage for sex. I will wait until I find someone that I trust and care about, someone who will be willing to laugh with me when I am unsure and ask dumb questions, someone who appreciates what I am giving them, and someone who will respect me and be safe. I think that sexual compatibility is a very important part of a functional marriage and I will definitely have sex with the guy before I marry him. What if he's into stuff I'm not? What if he can't satisfy me? Sexual incompatibility results in stress and can break a marriage. You ask, why would someone want to lose it so fast to someone their not guaranteed to be with? You're never guaranteed to be with anyone. Some people think of sex as fun, not just as a life changing romantic surrender. Though I personally think you should be able to do both. I think that you're speaking from a faith-based perspective and I think that is unfair to judge others based on your own moral criteria. Now I'm not saying that I approve of sleeping around (because I don't), but I definitely see nothing wrong with having a few sexual partners over a lifetime. I think a big problem today is that the media targets young people and tells them that it is okay to have sex with anyone and everyone. Granted, I think people should be smart enough to make they're own decisions, but it does happen that a lot of people are teased and swayed by the provocative images they see on tv. I have known plenty of virgins who confused lust with love because they've never experienced either. My friend got married at 19 so that she could have sex. Sex should never be an excuse for marriage and I've seen that a fair amount with people who are sexually frustrated and believe that the only solution is to get married. Anyway, I say stick to your beliefs whatever they may be, but try not to be so judgemental when it comes to other people 'losing it' so long as they are smart about it. I say if you lose your virginity in a caring and fun relationship, then it is well worth it.

User Detail :  

Name : A-virgin-for-now, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Not Religious, Age : 19, City : La Jolla, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper class, 

Dan
    Participant
    Well, it's exciting to experience what you're curious about. The body is best suited to getting pregnant around age 17-27 physically and psychologically. But the sad truth is that it does hurt socially and emotionally especially if one gets pregnant. It's better to channel the sexual energy - we all naturally have it - into academic or other things, but sex is so much fun that, if offered, it's hard to say no.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 45, City : L.A., State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : manager, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Angel-M19497
    Participant
    As much as everybody blames the media on things, I think this is one thing the media can truly be blamed for. They're allowing more and more on TV these days, and kids hear more about sex. I'd be willing to bed the vast majority know what sex is long before middle school. Additionally, it isn't presented in the media, most times, as the sacred act of love that it should be, but as a means for pleasure, and they show that everyone is doing it. Most of what people hear about is how good it feels, not the risks, both emotionally, and physically, involved. As for me, I'm waiting. I don't think less of people who don't, though, since there's a lot of pressure. In addition to media's portrail of it, a lot of people hear all about it from their friends and feel like they're missing out. Also, a lot of them lose their virginity in the heat of the moment. There's a lot of desire when you're with someone, and even someone who previously wanted to wait can want sex.

User Detail :  

Name : Angel-M19497, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian/Wiccan, Age : 17, City : Des Moines, State : IA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : high school student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Sarah19529
    Participant
    You gotta try before you buy.

User Detail :  

Name : Sarah19529, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 17, City : Auckland, State : NA Country : New Zealand, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Gianna
    Participant
    Sex is always a touchy issue to discuss. I think with all the hype in the media -- especially the tendency to view women as sexual objects -- the need to hold on to one's virginity becomes diminished. Let's face it. Nothing in this world is what it was 20, 30, 40 years ago. Keeping one's virginity until marriage just isn't fashionable anymore. That's the harsh truth. Does it make it right? Maybe not. I don't think any one of us is in the position to judge. Do what's right for you and let other people deal with their own issues of morality.

User Detail :  

Name : Gianna, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 19, City : East Greenwich, State : RI Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Jennifer19647
    Participant
    I think that girls are getting the wrong perspective from culture these days. A long time ago girls would cherish their virginity because that is what culture taught, but nowadays being sexually active is almost praised and girls feel the need to lose their virginity quickly to become part of the 'big girls club' and feel more connected to the culture they live in. If you look at celebrities like Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Pamela Anderson, they all display their sexuality very vividly to their crowd and that gives out the message to younger girls that it is socially acceptable to lose their virginity quickly.

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer19647, City : Daytona, State : FL Country : United States, 
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 111 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.