Why don’t teens cherish virginity?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 111 total)
  • Author

Erin
    Participant
    I completly agree with you. I am sixteen and also will stay a virgin until I am married. To me it is about both my religion and personal beliefs. There are so many things that can go wrong from having sex before marriage. Think about it, if people waited until after marriage to have sex there would be a lot less sexually transmitted diseases! Also for girls it is smart because they will not get pregnant. I am glad to find someone who shares my beliefs because at my school a lot of people make fun of me for it!

User Detail :  

Name : Erin, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 16, City : Boulder, State : CO Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

NL
    Participant
    2 reasons y teens r more accepting of losing their virginity before marriage: 1. Our culture, esp. the media, promotes sex. Add peer pressure and the result is that teens see and hear about sex all the time. They start to think most people are doing it and they must be uncool or abnormal if they're still a virgin. 2. Fornication is increasingly accepted as more people view sex as more than just consummation of marriage and a way to make babies. #2 is fine as long as people are responsible about sex, but #1 increases irresponsibility. Possible solutions r getting the media to change & sex ed that promotes abstinence (not abstinence-only) and shows reality, which is that most teens aren't doing it, there are many risks to sexual activity, and foreplay (esp. combined w/ drugs/alcohol) can easily escalate into unintended/unwanted intercourse.

User Detail :  

Name : NL, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Secular Humanist, Age : 19, City : Latham, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : college student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Stephanie
    Participant
    I was a promiscuous teenager - always using sex as a way to get/keep a boyfriend, be popular, etc - as were most of the other girls I knew. (Though I can't deny, my numbers are higher than a lot of my girl friends'). I've been married to the love of my life for 5-1/2 years after dating for 6 years before that. I wish so much that I had saved myself for him. I can love him forever, I can bear him a child, but I so long to have given him THAT gift. I will say that he and I certainly didn't abstain when we were dating - so I knew we were sexually compatible. However, what I thought was great sex 10 years ago was NOTHING compared to the stuff we have now - with passion and love and deep knowledge of one another, trust beyond suspicion, acceptance of our physical imperfections... things that come with time in a relationship - as well as age (that 30th year is a doozy!) I believe that both our mental and physical relationships would have come to this great state even if we had waited until marriage.

User Detail :  

Name : Stephanie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 31, City : Apex, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Homemaker, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Leigh22845
    Participant
    While it is wonderful that you have firm conviction and that you have made a safe decision that is right for you about sex, you have to remember that everyone's beliefs, needs, and experiences are different. It is a myth that this interest teens have in sex is new. The fact is, depending on culture, historically people have put a myriad of different valuations on virginity and sex. Some valued virginity greatly, while others did not; just like today. Some teens feel that virginity is not something they value; that it is not a treasure to be tightly held on to. I was such a teen and regret nothing. I have a happy fulfilled life and enjoy a very healthy, long-term monogamous relationship. On the other hand, I have a dear friend who waited until marriage and also has no regrets and is very happy. There are always horror stories on both sides of an argument. This is a decision that only the person involved can make and the person should not be judged for his or her decision to wait or not wait to have sex. That being said, abstinence is the safest sex and sex today can be very dangerous. Those teens that are having sex should keep in mind that there is nothing fun or sexy about an STD. Please everyone out there, practice safe sex: be that abstinence or protection.

User Detail :  

Name : Leigh22845, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 29, City : Hammond, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : Graduate Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
    to what end? to put a false value on something? to have one more thing that can be used to classify people? anything that can be used to make one 'different' than others can be used prejudiciously. and let's face it, there is still a huge double standard as far as sexual experience and men and women are concerned. but beyond all that, there is a physical benefit to varied sexual experiences- finding out what pleases you and not putting up with things that do not. because, it is a sad thing if one does not get to experience just how wonderful sex is because of social or religious mores. it is not a tool for power or control, it is simply meant for mutual enjoyment. (is it pre-martial sex if you don't intend to get married?) but, you wouldn't go ski-diving without a parachute, don't have sex without protection from both disease and pregancy.

User Detail :  

Name : laurie skywalker, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 45, City : las vegas, State : NV Country : United States, Occupation : gaming, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Bryan
    Participant
    Answer: NO

User Detail :  

Name : Bryan, City : Collingwood, State : OK Country : Canada, 

Somsigh
    Participant
    I'm a kid and I don't want sex in the near future, and I bet there are other guys my age who feel the same way. All I want in a relationship is to love and to be loved, to care for and to be cared for, and to also be there for eachother when needed. The only reason to lose my virginity is when I know the girl and I are going to be together forever. I don't know if I'm going to wait for my wedding day though, just long enough to know when the time is right.

User Detail :  

Name : Somsigh, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Age : 15, City : Cumberland, State : RI Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Courtney
    Personally I plan on remaining a virgin for the rest of my life. Not because I've given up on sex and guys. I can still date but I won't go any farther than kissing and I make sure that the guy I'm dating that knows that. I think that the reason people are so sexually active nowadays is because of media and the proportion of sexuality in advertising and popular programs.

User Detail :  

Name : Courtney, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Native American/British/German/Ukranian, Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : University Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Audra
    Participant
    Anna, teens are careless with their lives and sexuality for reasons that many of us cannot understand, but it has always been this way- it is nothing new. Unmarried teens and young adults have been having sex since the beginning of time, and children outside of marriage are nothing new either. I think that teenagers are just immature because they are young and inexperienced, and many teens are incapable of making good decisions. They tend to be risk-takers. However, I think that it is great that you plan to save your virginity for marriage, and you probably make mature decisions in other aspects of your life as well. I wish that i had been as clear-headed as you are when I was in high school! There are alot of people who care about this, and many of us wish later in life that we had taken the high-road with you.

User Detail :  

Name : Audra, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : Lincoln, State : NE Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Scott Nash
    Participant
    Because we are in the me generation. What happens in the future doesn't matter. They want something now. And A lot of times the first time is probably when two young people get together and say do you want to try it.

User Detail :  

Name : Scott Nash, City : Pensacola, State : FL Country : United States, 

Joe
    Participant
    Here are the top four reasons I can think of - 1) Peer preasure: This doesn't even apply to the people who are (supposibly) being teased about being a virgin, simply hearing others speak of engaging in acts may cause one to feel they need to as well just to fit in. 2) Health/Sex Ed: They have sex education week when you take Health in high school, however very little is talked of sex itself, these days (at least the schools I went to) they taught abstinence to avoid diseases as a form of scare tactic. The problem with this: I'm sure it's safe to assume it's not what the students were expecting, hence curiousity levels shoot skyhigh, also, the scare wear off. 3) Openness: A common misconception these days is that sex and its standards have changed over the years. Not true - people are simply more open about it these days. With all the talk, and especially the imagery we can easily access now days, curiousity/emotions get aroused and, just as you always hear when listening to someone speak of an unwanted pregnancy 'one thing leads to another.' 4) Scaredness: As noted in other posts, sex has sadly become one of those things to most people, hearing of it, or engaging in it, has become as common as eating breakfast. So it's easy for the mass sheep followers of the world to jump on the band wagon and not think anything of it. That's my two cents worth.

User Detail :  

Name : Joe, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 23, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : I.T., Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

DM
    Participant
    I think it's ok for teens to be 'sexually active', but not to have actual sex. Things such as oral and 'heavy petting' are harmless (if both are disease free), and are part of exploration and growing up. If teens would allow these pleasures to be enough, and refrained from intercourse until marriage, we'd have a lot less abortion and broken homes. As a teen I did everything except intercourse, for two reasons: a desire to wait till marriage, and knowing I wasn't ready to be a father. I did lose my virginity in my early 20's, outside of marriage, and I do regret doing so, as the person is no longer in my life. I do encourage teens to wait till marriage, or at least until you are ready for the possible parenthood risk. I also encourage those who have lost their virginity not to feel bad about it, because you can't change the past.

User Detail :  

Name : DM, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 29, City : Orwigsburg, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Lauren26083
    Participant
    Sometimes its just not that you want to, or you don't understand or want to realize the consequences of your actions. I first ahd sex when I was thirteen. I know that seems very young, and I was, but the act was a product of my family situation. I have now been with the guy I am dating for over a year, and we made a decision not to have sex. Society has allowed and even enocuraged teens to have sex, and teens are becoming mroe and more mature in everything, and understanding more as well. Teens vote and are voting activists, fight in Iraq... they can decide what is right for them. A healthy respect for virginity is great, and I regret not waiting until marriage, but it's not the end of the world if you don't wait. Sometimes it can even enrich a relationship if it's in the right context.

User Detail :  

Name : Lauren26083, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 16, City : Columbus, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : Cashier, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Rick29783
    Participant
    I'm 23. I lost my virginity a LONG time ago. The reason I've slept with so many people is because you need to test drive a car before you buy it. It's like, my parents used to preach to me to wait until I was married until I had sex, but then I asked the important question: 'How many people did you sleep with before you married Dad?' -- She didn't wait, either. No one does. I think it's more of something we're USED to saying, rather than practicing. I know, I'd tell my kid the same thing to save him/her from heartbreak, but I doubt I'd mean it. ;)

User Detail :  

Name : Rick29783, Gender : M, Age : 23, City : Metairie, State : LA Country : United States, 

Nick20008
    Participant
    Why do teens not cherish their virginity. There are many answers for this. Let me ask you something, why do you care? I lost it when I was 16, I don't regret it. If you really love somebody and you do it out of love, I see no problem with it. Now the teens who go to parties, get drunk and have sex then brag about it, yes, there's something wrong with that. They can think it's cool all they want, chances are they won't have a real relationship ever in their life. Why? Because the only guys/girls who would have interests in them are people just like themselves. From one person to the next. I have nothing against anybody holding onto their virginity until there married and nothing against those who chose not too with somebody they love and that loves them. My honest opinion on it all is, I'd rather marry somebody who's not a virgin than somebody who is a virgin. The first time may seem like a big deal, but I doubt you'll enjoy the first and to me that kind of takes the romance out of it.

User Detail :  

Name : Nick20008, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Religion is Myth, Age : 23, City : Newburgh, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : Manufacturing/Student, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 111 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.