Teens and classic rock

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    My feeling is that classic rock is the best quality rock that's out there. I'm a 54yo grandpa from California with 4 children ranging in age from 30 to 21. One of my sons started listening to Led Zeppelin when they were in high school. Now he works for Rhino Records and loves his job. Not that you have to turn your appreciation of classic rock into a career, but the quality and agelessness speaks for itself. I don't feel threatened, on the contrary I'm honored when younger people enjoy this music. I know I sound like my father, but the rock now is unintelligible, superficial, and at the least repetitive. The re-makes of older songs are rampant. Long Live Classic Rock!

User Detail :  

Name : Chuck Adams, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 54, City : Los Osos, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Pharmacist, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

G-Thomas
    Participant
    Hmmm...i'm a music lover, and love classic rock. The reason I like it when younger people listen to the older music I listen to is because it gives me something that we can both relate to. For me, it narrowsdown that generational rift that occurs between teens and we baby boomers.

User Detail :  

Name : G-Thomas, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : non-denominational christian, Age : 41, City : Sierra Vista, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : sales, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Midwesten Mom
    Participant
    I think it's great when teens listen and enjoy the same music that I grew up with and really love. It sounds as if those few older adults have a music-territoy thing and perhaps want to keep the great stuff to themselves. I love it when my son turns up the volume on Springsteen, Seger, Zeplin, CCR, and others because it gives us that much more to share. Having anything in common with teenagers provides a link for the generations which is a very positive thing. My parents always wanted me to enjoy classical music, which I never could get into, and that remained one of the voids in our family. I don't have such a void with my son and I feel very lucky.

User Detail :  

Name : Midwesten Mom, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 41, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Business Manager, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kevin B
    Emily, I grew up listening to 'classic rock,' particularly of the 'Southern rock' genre (Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Marshall Tucker Band, et al). My 16 year-old son also enjoys that music, along with Led Zeppelin, Yes, Jimi Hendrix, and other bands of that era. In fact, he and I are traveling this weekend to see the Allman Brothers and Lynyrd Skynyrd in concert. I see among our friends strained relationships between parents and their teenagers. But for my son and I, music, especially 'classic rock,' provides us an opportunity to open up lines of communication that might otherwise be closed off. He is also a musician (guitar) and with my keyboarding we sometimes have the opportunity to play together (contemporary Christian music in the praise band at our church). Similarly, there is some new music that he shares with me, and, quite frankly, much of that does not appeal to me. But because we share an enjoyment for 'classic rock,' we can share our opinions of other music as well.

User Detail :  

Name : Kevin B, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 49, City : Waynesville, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Kip26394
    Participant
    I listen to anything I enjoy. I encourage my friends to listen to things I enjoy, and I frequently exposed my students to things I enjoy. At teh same time, I hope people share with me, thier music. I'm sorry someone would be possessive to you about 'their' music. It's not like music has a sign that says 'only X type need apply'.

User Detail :  

Name : Kip26394, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 30, City : Boulder, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : what ever pays the bills, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

MH20624
    Participant
    Led Zeppelin was a great band. I think it is great that other generations listen. The beauty of music is to share. Why do you think it is 'classic'?

User Detail :  

Name : MH20624, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 36, City : Raleigh, State : NC Country : United States, 

Lance
    I think it's great if teens listen to classic rock. Even at my age I listen to music from a previous generation than my own called Blues and Jazz. I think it's important for someone who appreciates music to listen to the 'roots' of where music originated. Blues and Jazz music grew into Rock and Roll. Styles were blended and a new thing grew from it. It's great! Now to your question. Why would some adults not want you to listen to 'their' music? Music is a very personal thing. Some people identify so strongly with 'their' music they feel like they own it. I can't say for sure, since I don't know if my parents battled with my grandparents over the music they listened to, but I and many of the rock music era had to fight with our parents to be able to hear it, literally. To this day there are groups and communities that think rock and roll is bad, even evil. Churches in my day would collect record albums from their community and destroy them, claiming rock and roll was the devil's music. The same was true with Blues. Blues grew out of Gospel music and in that era people who listened to Gospel believed the Blues was the devil's music. I encourage you to listen to classic rock and roll. When Jimmy Paige sings 'The Lemon Song' know that he's paying tribute to the black blues singer who wrote those words 50 years before. Pick up Eric Clapton's tribute CD 'Me and Mr. Johnson' and you just might hear some of the lyrics from Lemon Song. Explore.

User Detail :  

Name : Lance, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Presbyterian, Age : 52, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : Software Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Diane
    Participant
    I think that is just great. It is always admirable to be up front about what you like whether it is the 'in' thing or not.

User Detail :  

Name : Diane, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 54, City : Pensacola, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, 

R Hunt
    Think classic rock is a history book of the seventies and eighties. Good beats and stories. A lot of songs had messages. White Rabitt for instance. Go Gracie. As for older adults complaining about teens listening,they truly have too much time on their hands and need to get a life. Rock ON!

User Detail :  

Name : R Hunt, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 59, City : Lake Placid, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Sales, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jeff31198
    Participant
    I actually get a kick out of it when my teenage daughter and son enjoy listening to Led Zep and the Doors and other bands I grew up with. It gives us something else in common, something we can talk about. My parents hated all of the music I listened to and it was a source of contention so it's nice being able to share something you enjoy with your kids, and in turn, I've grown to appreciate alot of the more recent music through my kids. So, it's a win-win I think.

User Detail :  

Name : Jeff31198, City : Altoona, State : PA Country : United States, 

Anthony23745
    Participant
    My experience is that older adults believe that teens who listen to classic rock are just showing good taste. I would imagine that only those older persons whose notion of music is tied to their notion of youth object to your liking 'their' music. No musician I know ever drew a line around their music and said 'You can't like this.' (Except maybe Pete Townsend.)

User Detail :  

Name : Anthony23745, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 49, City : Deerfield Beach, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Librarian, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Beth
    Hi Emily ... I like the fact that my generation has at least some connection with yours through music. I admit to listening to new, alternative music. I remember to having NO musical connection to MY parents! To them, modern was Lawrence Welk! I think that some similar tastes in music can lead to discussion and understanding between generations that we have not had before. Rock On!

User Detail :  

Name : Beth, Gender : F, Age : 45, City : Wamego, State : KS Country : United States, 

Bill
    I'm married to a music teacher and professonal singer. My father had his own Swing Band in the '50s and '60s. So, I have a particularly strong connection to most kinds of music. I'm thrilled that my kids (aged 19-26) love the 'classic rock' I grew up with, even tho they refer to it as old fogey music! Emily....you will always find people who will find fault with something you like....so enjoy the compliments and ignore the complaints.

User Detail :  

Name : Bill, Gender : M, City : n/a, State : NA Country : United States, 

Chris
    Participant
    Cool. I think Green Day, Five For Fighting, and Goo Goo Dolls (to name a few) are pretty good, too. Have you also tried Beethoven and Mozart (to name a few other long-hairs)?

User Detail :  

Name : Chris, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 51, City : Windsor, State : CT Country : United States, Occupation : Construction Estimator, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    I think your question is very interesting because I've spent a lot of time wondering how young people can't like the music of my generation. The lyrics and melodies created by the artists of that day capsulized not only the times (which were so unique), but also the experiences and the rhythms going on - the rhythms of the night, falling in love, feeling good, striving for peace and idealism, learning things you never imagined, basically just a feeling of 'coming together'. And for me, no drugs were involved. (Having said that, I can answer my own above question, because the times and experiences of the youth today are definitely not parallel to those of yesterday.) I am a 55-year-old woman who still listens heartily to classic rock and am back 'in the moment' for a moment as I'm sure everyone who gets the privilege to age feels about the music of their youth, but ours was special I think. Remembering keenly all the feelings of my youth when a certain song comes on is my present-day joy as I stare into these God-awful computers! Incidentally, I attended the Led Zepplin concert in Miami when I was 22 but was too afraid to stay for the entire thing due to the fact it was my first concert. There is much to be found in the music, so keep listening...

User Detail :  

Name : R. Mahaffey, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 55, City : Miami, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Paralegal, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.