Teens and classic rock

Viewing 11 posts - 76 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • Author

Tom24143
    Participant
    It's cool as hell you kids listen to Zep, Floyd, Aerosmith, etc. You know quality when you hear it.

User Detail :  

Name : Tom24143, Gender : M, City : Oakwood, State : GA Country : United States, 

Alison M.
    Participant
    It gives me so much hope that teens are getting into classic rock. All the modern music sounds the same and is just not like the old stuff. I guess I am still considered a teen myself, and classic rock and Southern rock is about all I listen to. I don't think older adults should be offended by the fact that teens like their music. They should think of it as a compliment because it shows they have good taste in music.

User Detail :  

Name : Alison M., Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 19, City : Cleveland, State : MS Country : United States, 

Nate
    Participant
    I think it's odd but kind of cool that kids relate to music made so long ago. Rock used to be the primary cultural outlet that differentiated one generation from another. For example, in Elvis Presley's day kids loved him but parents saw a vulgar performance of crude noise and sexual innuendo that in some ways played into thier racist insecurities. Twenty years later rock music started to alienate Elvis' generation with its alignment with a broad counterculture that seemed determined to overthrow all of society's conventions. Older rock fans may be somewhat perplexed when modern rock doesn't define the younger generation as much as it did in thier time. A more typical experience would be classic rock parents and hip-hop/raver teens. Rock isn't what it used to be.

User Detail :  

Name : Nate, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 40, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : factory rat, sound engineer, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Jessica
    Participant
    I LOVE classic rock, and so does my mom, and she thinks it's neat that I like her music. The only grief I get is from other teenagers (mostly the ones who are into rap and hip-hop).

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 14, City : Lubbock, State : TX Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Teresa24693
    Participant
    I love music from before I was born. I'd rather listen to Neil Young than Jessica Simpson. Most adults I've come across don't have any problem with my love for music of their generation. In fact when my friend and I were at a Beach Boys concert last summer a woman sang and danced in the audience with us and thought it was wonderful that we don't like the rap and other music her sons listen to. We may not have the same issues as our parents did, but the messages of the music are still as valid.

User Detail :  

Name : Teresa24693, Gender : F, Age : 19, City : Macomb, State : IL Country : United States, 

Richard-L
    Participant
    Having gone to a Led Zeppelin concert when I was in my late teens (don't you just HATE me?!), it's no surprise that people of another generation would find music of this time and genre unbelievably fabulous. It was, and it still is. Some people still tear up when listening to Beethoven and he's been dead for what, a couple hundred years? It's possible that some people my age might feel possessive of the music as they are possessive of that time, what with drugs, sex, and rock-and-roll being the 3 main food groups of the 60's and 70's. Pay them no mind. No generation owns their music...it's eternal. By the way, I saw The Who when I was a teen, and I just saw them again in Honolulu. It was fabulous then and it was fabulous now. P.S. My old friends think I am REALLY weird that I love modern rock. Third Eye Blind's 'Semi-Charmed Life' is one of my all time favorites...right up there with 'Stairway to Heaven'.

User Detail :  

Name : Richard-L, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 49, City : Honolulu, State : HI Country : United States, Occupation : I.T., Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kristen S.
    I was in Burger King once wearing a Beatles t-shirt. The guy behind the counter in his mid-40s looks at me kind of condescendingly and says, "Aren't you a little young to be listening to The Beatles?" I just laughed it off and thought "Aren't you a little old to be working behing the counter at Burger King?'"

User Detail :  

Name : Kristen S., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 22, City : Buffalo, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Middle class, 

Lucinda A.
    Participant
    I'm 63 and avoided a speeding ticket because a young policeman liked AC/DC and couldn't believe I was listening to it after he saw my license. He said "I'll give you a warning just because you're listening to AC/DC." I am a software test engineer and work with people who are half my age or younger and they all like classic rock.

User Detail :  

Name : Lucinda A., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 63, City : Tucson, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : Software Test Engineer III, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

ashley
    Participant
    I think it's cool that the younger generation listens to classic rock. It makes a connection between the generations. It's better than listening to that ganster shit.

User Detail :  

Name : ashley, City : shaw, State : MS Country : United States, 

GC19540
    Participant
    Maybe the people who are giving you grief think that you are taking 'their' music too lightly, not understanding what it's about, what was going on at the time, what it meant to their generation, or just not appreciating how truly ground-breaking it might have been at the time. I don't think there's anything wrong with just liking a song because it sounds good, but maybe other people feel differently.

User Detail :  

Name : GC19540, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Caucasian/Japanese, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 30, City : Oahu, State : HI Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

JaredW.
    It's just all about what you are exposed to. I grew up listening to what my parents listened to, which would be considered classic rock now. Over time and moving into my teens that involved into alternative music during the mid to late 90's. Then slowly into punk rock, then metal and hardcore. Now I listen to a little bit of everything. Also when your musical taste mature a bit, you realize that a lot of what we like now was influenced by those classic bands.

User Detail :  

Name : JaredW., Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 26, City : Robesonia, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Cook, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 11 posts - 76 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.