Teens and classic rock

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 86 total)
  • Author

Janet F
    I absolutely love it when any younger generation than mine likes classic rock. I still love and think you must really understand what rock is all about.

User Detail :  

Name : Janet F, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 55, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : unemployed telecom technician, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Margie
    Participant
    You have good taste--nothing wrong with that. It surprises me that some people would get on your case about liking 'their' music, but unless they are very important to you, you can shrug them off. If they are important in your life, try to explain some of the great features in the music: classic chord progressions; themes from classical musicians; etc. And it sounds good. I grew up with the big bands and enjoy them although my favorite music now is Beatles & early Queen.

User Detail :  

Name : Margie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 69, City : Sterling, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Retired, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    I have a 15 yo daughter who listens to the Stones, Zeppelin, Sex Pistols, Beatles as well as Metallica, Slipknot, Green Day. I think teenagers should listen to all kinds of music. The more variety the better. I think teenagers should be exposed to all kinds of music and art. It broadens teenagers perspectives. We need fewer narrow-minded people in this world.

User Detail :  

Name : galarneault, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 49, City : crystal lake, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Cust.Serv. Mgr, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Juanita
    Participant
    I raised seven children. The youngest is still in his teens. All of them love all kinds of music. No one really 'owns' music. It belongs to all of us. I grew up listening to my parents' music, which was swing. But rock and roll came and, well, I loved it and still love it. I cannot believe someone would be so rude to give you 'grief' for liking a certain kind of music. I respect any person who is open-minded enough to listen to different music. When I was 14, I got 'into' Bartok and Stravinsky. My parents hated rock and roll but REALLY hated John Cage. Keep listening to the music you love. I am an older adult who likes classic rock - as I love other music. Keep listening. Rock and roll is here forever!

User Detail :  

Name : Juanita, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, City : Sonoma, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ken-M26412
    Participant
    Personally, I would have to resist the urge to slap anyone who would discourage younger people from listening to 'classic rock'. Actually, I hate the term. In my case, I was a 'child of the '60's' who actually liked(and STILL likes)much of the original 'swing' and 'big band' era music my parents did. And I grew to be a lover of classical music as well. And to top off this, I also like a lot of the 'newer' rock music I hear on the radio. It all has to do with an open mind, and the realization that good music, regardless of genre, is timeless. I have no qualms over lending recordings of old rock music to younger members of my family. Just as they're more than happy to loan out their Kid Rock CD's. For example, I have a niece who just turned 17. Given a choice, she'll place the radio on any station that plays the current top 40 of her age group, but still seems to know all the lyrics to many of the 'oldies' from the '50's and early '60's. It's all music, and it's all good. Ken M.

User Detail :  

Name : Ken-M26412, City : Lincoln Park, State : MI Country : Venezuela, 

Ben23367
    Participant
    I and almost all my friends I went to college with are avid fans of classic rock. Zepplin, Floyd, The Who, Hendrix, Blue Oyster Cult, Jefferson Airplane, the list goes on and on. I've never heard of someone older than myself thinking it's bad or wierd...maybe just slightly atypical, but that's about it. But then, I grew up on Rage Against the Machine, Tool, Nine Inch Nails, Stabbing Westward, Marilyn Manson, KoRN, Deftones, etc. It wasn't until I was seventeen that my taste started to become purified! :-)

User Detail :  

Name : Ben23367, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 20, City : Newberry, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : Software Developer, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Leslie L.
    My older daughter, a college freshman, has an astonishing knowledge of rock and popular music. She knows everybody now current, in all genres, and all the popular artists of the '90s, '80s, '70s and '60s. You can't stump her until you get into some of the more obscure stuff from the '50s. Where she mentally stores all that, I don't know. My younger daughter, a high school sophomore, doesn't have that Velcro memory. She prefers today's stuff, although she does have a few classics she likes - including, of course, 'Stairway to Heaven.' (Oddly, she and all her friends have also picked out Boy George's 'Karma Chameleon' as a particular favorite.)

What do I think? I love that they like some of the same stuff I did, and for the same reasons. I'm afraid it's not a two-way street; I don't like much of what my younger daughter listens to because it's too dark and Goth and miserable as far as I'm concerned. No love songs, and pictures of the artists smiling strictly forbidden.

User Detail :  

Name : Leslie L., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 51, City : Lansing, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Alexandra31364
    Participant
    I really love it when teens listen to the rock that is familiar to me. I feel validated in my appreciation of the classics and it also gives me a sense of the timelessness of some of those songs. I was at a block party this past weekend and a band performed, made up of high school juniors. They played Dylan, Stones, Aerosmith, etc...and everyone--from teens to toddlers--was grooving. This was a beautiful thing.

User Detail :  

Name : Alexandra31364, Gender : F, Religion : Jewish, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Harvey21433
    Participant
    The fact that you listen to 'Classic Rock' shows that you have an open mind. Music is for all time. You just keep listening and enjoy. Do not concern yourself with the limited thinking of others. If they were true music lovers, they would introduce you to new 'classics' that you may have overlooked!

User Detail :  

Name : Harvey21433, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 51, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, 

John29315
    Participant
    I have no problem with people younger than me enjoying classic rock. My 17 year old son loves Allman Brothers, Eagles, Steve Miller, etc. It certainly gives us something more in common. Which I feel is always a good thing.

User Detail :  

Name : John29315, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, 

Daryl B.
    Participant
    I'm 46 years old. I (still) listen to Led Zeppelin. I also listen to Metallica, The Beastie Boys, The Black Eyed Peas, and Avril Lavigne. Why the diversity? I like good music! My 21 year old son has never taken to 'classic rock', even though he has been thoroughly exposed to it through my listening to it. I have a friend who's 10, 13, and 16 year old all play 'classic rock' songs in their band. I know of a 20 year old woman who is 'totally' into 'classic rock' through the influence of her fathers listening to it. She is knowledgable of band histories, etc. So I think it is great for the young to like the old and it is even better if the old can get into the young!

User Detail :  

Name : Daryl B., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 46, City : San Ramon, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Nancy S.
    Participant
    I am an older adult and I think it's great! But, I also have heard negative comments from people my age about teens listening to 'our' music. Perhaps they feel they need to have something of their own to 'own' for their generation, or maybe some folks just like to find something to gripe about.

User Detail :  

Name : Nancy S., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 49, City : Buffalo, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : social worker, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

john29313
    Participant
    I think that younger kids listening to classic rock is tremendous. As far as older people giving kids a hard time, it's just pettiness on their part. They (we) have so few joys and so much responsibility in their lives that they hate it when somone who has their whole life ahead of them, (not to mention all of their hair) finds something they think is theirs. Go on listening to it, it's you right, and enjoy!

User Detail :  

Name : john29313, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 45, City : cambridge, State : MA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Bob Robar
    I think it's great that you like 'our' rock - I think it is a compliment to hear my daughter sing songs that I enjoyed many years ago - I also like the 'updated' versions of the old songs. It's hard to imagine that so many of those old songs, recorded sometimes without much sophistication, would outlast many of the artists!

User Detail :  

Name : Bob Robar, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 58, City : Gainesville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Business Owner, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

M-Thomas
    Participant
    I have no problem with teens liking classic rock. They would have something in common with me that we could discuss. My music taste varies widely, but I just don't get some of this recent music. My 22 year old son has introduced me to some current music. Some I like, others not. Have fun, listen to what you like and don't worry about what us old fogeys think.

User Detail :  

Name : M-Thomas, Age : 46, City : Hope Mills, State : NC Country : United States, 
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.