Teens and classic rock

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 86 total)
  • Author

Mike Lowe
    Participant
    Emily, As a 47 y/o father with a 19 y/o son, I'm thrilled that my son is much like myself. He not only listens to classic rock but he also likes Sinatra, Big Band, rap , some country and many other types of music. It's important to experience all types of music. There are actually some of todays groups my wife and listen to. Music belongs to everyone, it has no age boundries. If someone comments about listening to 'their' music, ask them how much they made in royalties, because that is the person who truely owns a song. So, listen to everything, you never know what you might hear!

User Detail :  

Name : Mike Lowe, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 47, City : Buffalo, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Risk Analyst, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Frances25166
    Participant
    I hate it when a person of any age decides to limit his likes/ dislikes to a certain genre. I won't even enjoy EVERY song on a CD by a single artist. I find it refreshing and mature when a young person will consider music outside of what most of his peers are listening to. My college son says that in high school, the self-imposed boundaries are what/ who is perceived as cool. In college is when the really interesting people are apparent by their willingness to give new ideas a chance. I say that you are ahead of your peers. Besides, let's see how many people will even want to listen to Avril Lavigne several decades from now. Good music is timeless.

User Detail :  

Name : Frances25166, Gender : F, City : Powder Springs, State : GA Country : United States, 

Doug25664
    Participant
    I was just listening to Kashmir with my 14 year old niece yesterday. I say rock on!

User Detail :  

Name : Doug25664, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 34, City : Southwest, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Gary-P
    Participant
    Emily, As a 49 year old, I actually find it refreshing when younger people find the older music to their liking. It's amazing how much of the music made over 25 - 30 years ago stills sounds good today.

User Detail :  

Name : Gary-P, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 49, City : Denton, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Systems Administrator/Disaster Recovery, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Kaitlyn C
    I've listened to classic rock for only about a year and a half. Not long, but I love the music. Adults are mainly amazed that I like the relatively obscure ones also. The only problem comes from my sister. she's into whoever's big at the time. so it's always 'you're music is crap' and any arguments I have fall on deaf ears. but no, no problem generally. But look at where I live- memphis. elvis is everywhere... it's kinda expected

User Detail :  

Name : Kaitlyn C, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 16, City : Memphis, State : TN Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Vail
    As a musician I believe you should open your ears to all kinds of music. There is something of value in almost any genre, with the possible exception of modern country music. The blending of styles that is common in much current 'rock' music is often great. This blending can also be found in jazz, alternative country, and classical (through The Kronos Quartet, Yo-Yo Ma, Edgar Meyer to name a few). These older folks who would be critical of you are strange. I recommend that you don't waste time arguing with them, but have a little pity for them. You've transcended a barrier. They, apparently, have ceased to grow.

User Detail :  

Name : Vail, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Mutt, Religion : Atheist, Age : 40, City : Philly, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Eric
    Participant
    I'm a 30-something (okay, 34) guy who grew up on classic rock and still listens to it pretty often, although I like plenty of the new stuff as well. Personally, I think it's great that you like the classics. Good music is good music, it doesn't matter when it was made - the only thing that counts is quality. There's no reason any adult should get stuffy about you listening to the older music. Good rock and roll is for everyone to enjoy. Nobody has exclusive rights to it. 'With a purple umbrella and a fifty-cent hat...'

User Detail :  

Name : Eric, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 34, City : Prague, State : NY Country : Czech Republic, Occupation : Editor/writer, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Elizabeth
    Participant
    I'm 40 and am always delighted to find a teen who is discovering / enjoying classic rock. It's kind of like rediscovering it with them, turning them on to early Pink Floyd, or Eric Clapton when he was playing with Creem. I look at it like the older generation is 'passing the torch' of a great genre of music to a whole new group of kids. So many teens are into only hip-hop, rap, and techno and look at classic rock as being part of their parents' generation and uncool. To me, it's a little like turning someone onto the blues, a style of music that crosses about every racial and ethnic line you can think of. Keep on rockin' in the free world!

User Detail :  

Name : Elizabeth, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 40, City : Hammond, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : writer / administrator, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Barry
    Participant
    Go For It, Emily!. I am speaking as the youngest of five kids whose eldest brothers were 12 odd years older than me. They were into Hendrix, Pink Floyd and Zeppelin (and playing guitar) at the age you are now so I soaked it up when I was 4 y.o. or so. Later on I still listened to contemporary music but when I got to 16 myself and picked up a guitar I kept re-discovering Zeppelin riffs. I kept coming back to the music and can safely say that they are my favourite band. I can genuinely say that I get enthused and excited when any person of your age expresses an interest (and there are many that I have encountered). Whilst my opinion of contemporary music now is less than flattering (including most Nu-Metal - like Faith No More never existed!), I still find that I can pick and choose from new music and have a broader experience with which to form an opinion. On another note, a friend of mine of a similar age is stuck with the Drifters, Dean Martin and Elvis - now *That's* wierd in my book!. To conclude, your choices are your own provided they do not harm others, and choice of music is completely personal and rarely harms others. Tell your mum (gently) that you should be able to listen to any music you find pleasing and at the moment it happens to be classic rock.

User Detail :  

Name : Barry, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black, Age : 22, City : Rochester, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Social class : Middle class, 

Michael H.
    Participant
    Hi Emily. I can't speak for all Baby Boomers, but I for one think it's refreshing that some teens like the music I grew up with. I think that every generation likes the idea that a younger generation would like the music they like. Having something in common helps bridge the gaps between people no matter what their ages are.

User Detail :  

Name : Michael H., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : American Indian, Age : 53, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Computer Tech, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Pieter
    The problem with music today is everyone is just doing remakes of all the older goodies. Or a new version of the same old crap. There are so few original and talented bands out there. Therefore, I think that is why so many of the younger rockers have turned to classic rock. Besides, we live in the rap/hip hop era now. I thought that fad would be over sooner. :(

User Detail :  

Name : Pieter, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : I like houselhold objects including two mattresses, Disability : Not enough sex in cars, Race : Swedish/African American\Asain\ Illegal alien, Religion : Jelsafarian, Age : 86, City : Albequreque, State : CA Country : Chile, Occupation : we've been 86'ed, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
    I think it's WONDERFUL that teens (or any other age group) can broaden their perspective outside the 'perceived' group to appreciate the wide variety of music available. The more you know the more you grow.

User Detail :  

Name : ChristalClarity32227, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 53, City : Cleveland, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Chris32215
    Participant
    Most of the people my age or older I talk to agree that most recent music has been boring since the 90's. Don't worry about what other people think you should like. Make decisions for yourself. In highschool (I graduated in '88) I had some friends who only listened to 60s and 70s music and that was fine. The same should go for you.

User Detail :  

Name : Chris32215, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 32, City : Kobe, State : NA Country : Japan, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Lisa
    Emily, I think it is very cool (yes I used that word) that teens listen to classic rock. I have two teenagers and both like listening to certain bands from 'my era'. Conversely, I try to be open to the new music out there that they listen to. Communication is key to our kids and if we are able to break even that tiny barrier called music, I am all for it!

User Detail :  

Name : Lisa, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 37, City : Tucson, State : AZ Country : United States, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Melody
    Participant
    All music is for all people. I realize that some artists target certain audiences, but I feel for the most part that no one 'owns' any one kind of music. Certain groups identify more with certain types of music than do certain other groups, which is why rap and hip-hop appeal to young blacks far more than to older whites, for instance. I remember hearing a black female artist complaining that the Bee Gees 'stole' their music (i.e., disco), which I thought was absolutely ludicrous. Whatever you like, you like, and you shouldn't have to apologize for it or waste time explaining to ignorant people why you like it. I'm one of those 'older' people who remembers classic rock when it was contemporary rock (and I'm a big Led Zeppelin fan myself), but there is current music that I enjoy as well, to say nothing of jazz, classical, soul, disco, funk, country and, yes, some rap. Don't let anyone tell you you shouldn't like something like a particular genre of music!

User Detail :  

Name : Melody, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 40, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.