Teens and classic rock

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 86 total)
  • Author

Emily G
    Participant
    What do older adults think of teens listening to classic rock? Quite a few of my friends and I like Led Zeppelin - and, for the most part, older adults comment positively on it. However, we have also encountered a few older adults who have given us grief for liking 'their' music and asked us why we don't listen to, say, Avril Lavigne like 'other kids your age do.' If you're a teen who likes classic rock, what has your experience been with that? If you're an older adult who likes classic rock, how do you feel about the younger generation liking it, too?

User Detail :  

Name : Emily G, Gender : F, Religion : Christian, Age : 16, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, 

Zac
    It's weird that someone griefed you for liking music they do. It's usually the opposite. I appreciate all kinds of music from every ethnicity and time, and whenever I meet someone who likes one of those 'off-the-beaten trail' genres, they're usually enthusiastic about finding someone they can relate to. My dad and I listen to classic rock together, and it has more than anything brought us closer. The only logical explanation I can give for someone not appreciating your liking it would be if they think you're just trying to follow a trend by doing it. I know I dislike it when people purposely seek out obscure or unpopular music and bands to sound like they're 'hardcore'.

User Detail :  

Name : Zac, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 19, City : Ripon, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Paul Sjarudji
    Participant
    To tell you the truth, I am quite surprised by the reverse prejudice you have received by those select few who wonder why you are listening to 'their' music. I was raised with classic rock alongside other genres, and my mother and I are always finding interesting things between old and new rock. I think it's great that you have the desire to listen to what has been done, which can only give you an appreciation for what is being done now. Like anything in history, the more you know, the better you can articulate and critique your interest.

User Detail :  

Name : Paul Sjarudji, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Half white, half indonesian, Age : 23, City : Acampo, State : CA Country : United States, 

Michele
    Participant
    My friends and I listened to bands like Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Queen...and I grew up in the late '80s when those bands were no longer popular. We also listened to even older stuff like The Doors and The Rolling Stones. And you know what? I STILL listen to them, as well as bands people your age listen to like Linkin Park and Godsmack. It's great that you and your friends have an open mind and a broad musical taste. Stay that way. When you get 'older' like me, people will love that about you.

User Detail :  

Name : Michele, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, Age : 32, City : New Orleans, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : Reservationist, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Shari28087
    Participant
    I am THRILLED if I hear of the next generation listening to classic rock! We feel that 'our' music will live on for generations, just like the music of the Beatles, and when we hear teenagers rocking to Van Halen, we see it happening. It's a wonderful thing. The people who give you a hard time are just being selfish, I guess. Maybe they want it for themselves, which is ridiculous. Music is for everyone, not just certain age demographics. Rock on, sister!

User Detail :  

Name : Shari28087, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 33, City : Canton, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Annie23903
    Participant
    Why should one generation own a particular style of music? Music is personal and should be enjoyed by any age group. That attitude is downright silly. If I like '80s and '90s alternative music, would that offend people in their 30s because I'm in my 50s? I can't understand someone having an attitude like that.

User Detail :  

Name : Annie23903, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 53, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : copy editor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Basil Moreau
    Participant
    I can't imagine anyone berating you for listening to and enjoying early classic rock. They must have another agenda...and you should just shrug them off. Music is the message and, being a 'guardian of the groove', knows no timetable. Music appreciation is taught in college, and between Ravel's Bolero and the Zeppelin's Dazed and Confused, there exists a nexus that supercedes generations. Good music endures the test of time and the appreciation of it is not the property of any one generation. Peace and Love. BTW, I saw the Zeppelin live at the 1st Atlanta pop festival...

User Detail :  

Name : Basil Moreau, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, City : New Orleans, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : Consultant, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Bill
    I think it's fabulous. I enjoy much of the music my parents listened to (Big Band, mostly) as well. My children are in their early twenties. They are quite passionate in their love of a lot of my generation's music. It's nice to know there is a bridge across the generation gap.

User Detail :  

Name : Bill, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 52, City : SAN JOSE, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : engineer, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Clif-C
    Participant
    I question the sanity of an older adult giving you grief for liking classic rock (there is probably a medication available for those folks). I am what most teens would consider an older adult (nearly 40) and I think it's awesome that teens are open-minded enough to even consider listening to the music I grew up on. I have a 22 year old brother who listens to anything and everything and I love it when I get in his truck and he's playing something from my era. Our mutual love of the same music is a great bridge across the sometimes seemingly impassable divide of our ages. I'm also raising a 7 year old son on the Eagles, BeeGees, and Santana without apology! So, Emily, don't let a few crabby old geezers give you grief, tell 'em to stick it. Kudos to you and any other teen out there who is open-minded enough to check out good music regardless of which decade it comes from.

User Detail :  

Name : Clif-C, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 39, City : Oklahoma City, State : OK Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Rose29490
    Participant
    Emily, it just means that you have great taste, , and my kids were brought up listening to all the 'Golden Oldies', so you're not alone. I like rock, and also big band, and some classical music, which is before my time as far as being alive goes - but what the heck, good sounds don't ever lose their appeal.

User Detail :  

Name : Rose29490, City : Tak, State : HI Country : United States, 

Fernando21793
    Participant
    I'm all for the idea of the younger generation learning the roots of their present artists. Led Zepplin is a good example of a group that influenced many groups of today. Strangely enough there is a song that Audioslave has which sounds like an AC/DC. That should be an indication of where much of the rock music came from. I am thrilled to find out that a lot of the younger generation is getting into a timeless form of music which if played alongside older people, will sing along. How cool is that when one of your parents or relatives who had their share of classic rock, singing with their kids. I find that very cool, and helps bridge that gap which separates teens and adults taste in music

User Detail :  

Name : Fernando21793, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, 

Lisa
    When I was 17, I was hooked on classic rock; Led Zeppelin, The Doors, The Who. Now I've got a daughter that is 14 and enjoys classic rock too, and I don't even listen to it all the time. I think it's great that the younger generation listens to it. It just shows that you're not a narrow minded follower. Good for you!

User Detail :  

Name : Lisa, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 39, City : Fort Worth, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Amy-Spence
    Participant
    I have 3 teenage boys, the middle one absolutely loves classic rock, and my husband and I couldn't be more delighted. We think it shows that he has great taste, plus we enjoy the common interest. My husband is a talented guitarist as well as a lawyer in real life, so he gets a chance to talk about the nuances of the 'good stuff' with our son, and I don't have to change the radio dial when we're in the car!

User Detail :  

Name : Amy-Spence, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 44, City : Fort Worth, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : consultant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Michelle20585
    Participant
    As an 'Older adult' (over 40), my opinion of teens who listen to classic rock is that they are blessed with the ability to appreciate all kinds of music. I despair of people of any age who claim a certain type of music as 'theirs and theirs alone', unwilling to share it. Music is for everyone to enjoy. It shouldn't be corrupted by any prejudices. Emily, what do you and your friends think of older adults who like 'your' music? Do you think that's really cool, or do you think such adults are just trying to 'act young'?

User Detail :  

Name : Michelle20585, City : St. Charles, State : IL Country : United States, 

Brad
    I had to chime in here.I am 48 and I have a massive colection of music from the 60's to the 90's. I like all kinds of music. I love the fact that the younger generation would listen to 'classic' rock. I look at it this way. Some classical music was created long ago and is seen as the standard of classical music,Bach etc.. They are not making anymore of that because it is the best and can only be copied. I see some groups like Led Zepllin in the same catagory. Its the best in its catagory and can only be copied.The young people that recognize this are just listening to the music because of its quality.Its an intelligent choice that should not be treated like it belongsto only the baby boomers. I just met and 18 yo guy that was telling me he loves the 70s and was showing me some albums he had found by Hedrix and Fleetwood Mac that he was so proud of and treated them like the work of art that they are. I have owned all those and many more from the day they were published. That is way my generation must enjoy the fact that we were the ones to be there when this music was made. But the joy of discovery for the the younger people is still as strong when they find quality rock and enjoy it as if it was new. To this day I might hear a piece of music from decades ago and say wow!that is awesome,I enjoy it as much as if I was there when it was created.

User Detail :  

Name : Brad, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 48, City : Fox Island, State : WA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.