Long white t-shirts on black males

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 89 total)
  • Author

Chris
    The explanation my 15 year old son gave me on these most annoying, gigantic T-shirts is to signify NO gang association. White is the neutral color as opposed to other 'gang' colors.

User Detail :  

Name : Chris, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 37, City : Jackson, State : NJ Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Rebecca30080
    Participant
    I don't think that it is a racial thing as much as a matter of cost and fashion. As some one who wears t's year round and has a few white t's myself, white t-shirts are usually cheaper to buy, easier to wash, and if you mess one up, you do not feel you are waisting money if you decide to toss it. As for the color, white is like black in that it goes well with many other colors. As for fashion, have you ever noticed that many guys will wear a white t-shirt of some no name brand but wear a pair of designer jeans and Timberland boots or a pair of name brand sneakers? Maybe they spent so much money on those jeans and shoes that all they can afford are Fruit-of-the-Loom 3-packs. I believe the wearing of longer than normal t's is an off shoot of the baggy clothing trend. The longer the shirt is, the lower and baggier they can wear their pants.

User Detail :  

Name : Rebecca30080, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 25, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Data Transcriber, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

J D
    Living in a very mixed neighborhood with it's share of drug dealers I have heard first hand that it is easier to elude the police If everyone has on the same shirt

User Detail :  

Name : J D, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 46, City : cincinnati, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : custom funiture, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Erik
    Participant
    A long white T-shirt is a rank in the street gangs of larger city drug dealer gangs/groups. It is the lowest rank and usually indicates a 'runner' or a lookout. I am not, BY ANY MEANS, saying all blacks in white T-shirts are drug dealers. However, I feel that that is where the popularity comes from.

User Detail :  

Name : Erik, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 34, City : Hilton Head, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : server, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
    I have no personal experience here, but I remember reading in the paper how the police are wary of the long shirts because it's impossible to tell whether there's a weapon hidden under them. My guess is that the wearers have thought of that too, and are either hiding a weapon or just making the police and others jumpy for the fun of it.

User Detail :  

Name : D. Monaghan, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Humanist, Age : 69, City : Cincinnati, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : Retired, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Rose29484
    Participant
    I think the trend started from a 'rap' song from some rappers in Atlanta that was about 'White Ts'. The thing with all aspects of youth and those still trying to maintain their youth is that once something becomes 'cool', they tend to emulate it without really knowing what is centered around it or what it is all about. The song in question makes references to wearing White Ts in the 'hood while dealing drugs. The song essentially stated that the rapper and his 'boys' all wear White Ts in order to complete their 'daily activities' which included robbing, clubbing, etc. It's also been stated (and confirmed by an intuitive reporter in Atlanta in a news story) that in some particular neighborhoods, the drug dealers always wear Jeans and a White T, so that when one of them is being chased by cops, especially if the cops are responding to a call, the cops won't be able to know immediately identify the culprit. Usually, the guys are of the same race, physical appearance, and the main identifier is clothing. When everyone else is wearing identical clothes, how will the cop be able to identify a suspect? Again, it's not just with black males. This also happens in 'rough' neighborhoods that are densely populated by people of an identical race, whether it is Hispanic, Asian, and even White.

User Detail :  

Name : Rose29484, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 22, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : Graduate Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

George21653
    Participant
    Just what I've heard, but didn't sagging and baggy jeans originally have to do with gang members and others being able to carry weapons more easily without them being as noticable. Next thing you know all of the white suburban kids and everyone else are doing it because it's cool. Couldn't the t-shirt thing serve the same purpose. Not saying that people who are sagging or baggy are carrying weapons, but could that be part of the origin of the style?

User Detail :  

Name : George21653, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian American, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 35, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Shepherd, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Karen
    I work in a very depressed area of Essex County NJ and see this 'fashion' all the time. There is criminal acts, fights, drug dealing, etc. and gang activity in abundance. I was told this long white t-shirt and jeans 'look' is because it makes it harder for witnesses/victims to describe their assailants or perps -- 'What was the actor wearing?' 'A long white t-shirt and baggy jeans' -- just like everybody else. A cop told me this, by the way.

User Detail :  

Name : Karen, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Humanist, Age : 52, City : Morris County, State : NJ Country : United States, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Cathy-Coyle32443
    Participant
    I see lots of kids of all ethnicities wearing them. Kids have been wearing baggy T-shirts since the T-shirt was invented (and real tight ones, too!) I think it's just a fad. But what I want to know is WHAT IS UP WITH THE PANTS??? All of the boys are wearing these huge, baggy pants that THEY HAVE TO HOLD UP WHILE THEY WALK!!! My husband and I just about die laughing when we see them. We mostly see black and Hispanic kids wearing them, but also some white kids and Asians, too. I was standing in line at the grocery store and a black lady was right behind me. Three kids (2 black, 1 white) came traipsing into the store, acting stupid, loud, their huge pants dragging, etc., and she said to me, 'They don't know they look like unmade beds!' She nailed it. That's exactly what they look like with their pants falling down and their XXX white T-shirts. Hopefully they outgrow it.

User Detail :  

Name : Cathy-Coyle32443, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 53, City : Sacramento, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : retired, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ashley B.
    Participant
    Its not racial, gang-related, or anything like that. Its simply a fashion trend, in particular hip-hop fashion. Many rap songs rap about being dressed in a white tee, in fact there was a popular rap song called white tees. I personally think that young black guys look cute in a clean, long white tee.

User Detail :  

Name : Ashley B., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 22, City : Lansing, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Darren
    Participant
    My understanding of the origins of the 'white tee' (at times referred to as 'whitey' on shows like HBO's 'The Wire') is that many will wear the plain white T-shirt to prevent identification. For example, if everyone on a street corner is an African-American wearing a white t-shirt, it makes it very difficult to pinpoint a wrongdoer by describing their attire, especially if the witness can't identify another characteristic. (Imagine saying, 'it was a black guy in a white t-shirt and jeans' when everyone on the block is dressed that way.) LET ME MAKE THIS VERY VERY CLEAR: The 'white tee' has become a hip-hop fashion trend. There are even popular songs about white t-shirts (SEE: 'My White Tee' by Dem Franchise Boyz). Because they have become popular, many kids will wear a white tee without any intention of trying to avoid identification. They are simply trying to fit in and be cool and trendy. It also helps that it is not a very expensive trend because plain white t-shirts are fairly cheap. So DO NOT assume that an African-American walking around in a white t-shirt is doing so to avoid identification.

User Detail :  

Name : Darren, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 28, City : Columbus, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : Attorney, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Vanessa-M
    Participant
    This is simply a current style in the urban culture. Nothing more, nothing less!!!

User Detail :  

Name : Vanessa-M, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 31, City : Bel Air, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : Scientist, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

S. E
    I lived in New York and noticed everyone adorning white t-shirts. I think a lot of them are just jumping on the bandwagon of a trend, not sure of the origins. I think this is just a style that probably started in New York or Brooklyn to emphasize 'hardness' and 'toughness,' just like Timberland boots. Hip hop is deeply connected to working-class mottos and an emphasis on 'toughness' rather than being 'fancy' and 'pseudo-sophisticated' is the rule. Too many 'logos' may be designated only for pretty boys or those who are unauthentic. In hip hop culture, 'being real' and authentic is a must.

User Detail :  

Name : S. E, Gender : M, Race : black, white, Japanese, Age : 29, City : Toronto, Ontario, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Graduate Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

bj tillman
    In the Philadelphia area the extra-long white t-shirts started out as an identifier of those who were drug-dealers. Then , younger kids began to copy the style, wearing them to school and to play. Now, the fashion has been extended to other colors such as black, navy and even pink extra-large t-shirts. I'm hoping this is another bad fad that will pass. The only good thing about the white t-shirt phenomena is that t-shirts are really inexpensive, which is great for inner-city parents. Philadelphia public schools have already banned them. However, we're still dealing with extra-baggy pants and that fad is over 10 years old now. Go figure.

User Detail :  

Name : bj tillman, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 35, City : philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Technical, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    According to my younger relatives, they simply think it's cool. Like other stupid teenage stuff. I once wore 30 jelly bracelets per wrist in the '80s, not to mention torn sweatshirts, acid-washed denim, etc. I also heard it began as a rapper thing. The crisp white shirts showcased their jewelry well. Nothing too sinister here, just kids. And we must admit that as far as fashion trends go, it's a pretty tame one!

User Detail :  

Name : Tressie Cottom, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 28, City : Charlotte, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : copywriter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.