Long white t-shirts on black males

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 89 total)
  • Author

MrsAnn
    Participant
    It is not racial at all!!!! The white tees are just what's in at the moment and they are much cheaper than a name brand shirt anyday.

User Detail :  

Name : MrsAnn, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 27, City : Memphis, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : Office admin, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Donna
    Participant
    The 'fad' is rooted in the urban, gang, drug community. The wearing of long, loose, baggy clothing is used as a means to hide items inside clothing. It is unfortunate that this 'fad' has crossed over into the mainstream. Unfortunate in that black males are constantly complaining about being unfairly picked on by people in authority. Well, if you decide to dress and act like a thug, then you will be preceived to be a thug.

User Detail :  

Name : Donna, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 38, City : New Orleans, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : Medical, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Scotty J.
    Participant
    My-self being a Black teen,tall white tee's go with anything.Some taller people wear them because the shirts that they make do not fit them.Plus 5 for 20 dollars, you can not beat that.

User Detail :  

Name : Scotty J., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/Puerto Rican/White, Religion : Catholic, Age : 16, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Upper class, 

Allison31442
    Participant
    Obviously I'm not a young black male, but it's not specifically white t-shirts that have a meaning, they're just part of the 'dress code' right now, they're what's fashionable, they're a basic to many 'thug' outfits (white guys wear them too when they're trying to be 'ghetto'). It's just like young girls bearing their midriffs; it's a trend.

User Detail :  

Name : Allison31442, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 19, City : philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Vail
    They are on white males, too! At least in my parts. These weird little clothing trends come and go. Males dressing in pink is still current here, but baby blue is apparently passe. Pants that ride somewhere just above the knees seems to be a trend that is still hanging on. If you've ever seen a kid trying to run in these it's funnier than Charlie Chaplains walk! Just enjoy the irony that in their quest to be different so many young folks end up looking the same.

User Detail :  

Name : Vail, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Mutt, Religion : Atheist, Age : 40, City : Philly, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

mario
    Participant
    the reason for white tee's is nothing or has nothing to do with race it is more of a fashion thing. And me being a black male who wears white tee's I like them because they're cheap and white just like black go's with everything.

User Detail :  

Name : mario, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : believe in god, Age : 26, City : Memphis, State : TN Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Alexis
    Participant
    Long t's as well as baggy clothes which are typically worn by black males came from prison. In jail the clothing they give out is often too large, they typically give out larg pants and large shirts so that they fit everyone who comes into the system. After a long periods of black being but in jail (many times unj-justly) they bought the clothes that they had come accostumed to wearing. I think the extra long t 1) looks stupid and 2) has evolved out of entertainers trying to thug up thier image and go back to the prison style

User Detail :  

Name : Alexis, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 18, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, 

J. Qwest
    There is definitly no racial motivation behind it. Just like bell bottoms, afros, ty dye shirts, hot pants, or any other popular fashion of the moment. It's simply a current fashion. More and more kids of color and white kids for that matter are wearing there clothing extra baggy. As a young black male, I find it to be rather retarded, but I'm sure anyone who's older has a different view of what's cool and acceptable. But to lay the racial issue to rest, it's simply a fashion statement.

User Detail :  

Name : J. Qwest, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 24, City : Philly, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Customer Service, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

robin
    Have you ever stopped to think that that is the only type of clothing those guys can afford. Stop thinking that everything a black person does is racist or gang related, this will help you to uderstand a lot of things.

User Detail :  

Name : robin, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Secular Humanist, Age : 42, City : springfield, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Dex
    Participant
    The white tee-shirt fad as I've seen it in my sons relates to neatness, simplicity, economics (they're extremely cheap and easily replinishable) and they seem to go with any pair of jeans

User Detail :  

Name : Dex, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 46, City : Rolling Meadows, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

NiambiDawn
    Participant
    In Milwaukee we had a incident this summer that involved young Black males, who disrupted a local festival, and were wearing white tee shirts. The teens were characterized by the local newspaper and other mainstream media as belonging to a gang, because of the white tees they wore. Now, I can tell you from my perspective that the white tees are nothing more than a sensible fashion statement. They sell white tees in the neighborhood, they are cheap (3 for $10) as opposed to a $70+ Polo shirt, and you can always have on something new. At one point they were even leaving the price tags on them, so you would know that they were new. So contrary to popular belief, it is merely a means of remaining stylish, clean, etc for minimal cost.

User Detail :  

Name : NiambiDawn, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 27, City : Milwaukee, State : WI Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Chandra
    I've got an update on the white T-Shirt thing! I just found out that there is a rap song about white t-shirts. This guy is rapping about how he 'drinks cognac in his white t-shirt' , he 'rides in his car in his white t-shirt' and on and on...the main point is that this guy goes about his daily activities, all wearing his 'white t-shirt'. Also, I saw white t-shirts on sale in a neighborhood store for dirt cheap: 4 for $20. Can't beat the price! Consider this mystery solved.

User Detail :  

Name : Chandra, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 27, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Reggie30126
    Participant
    They are cheap. They are often irregular and sold at a discount. I can get 5 for $10 and they are pretty durable.

User Detail :  

Name : Reggie30126, City : Columbus, State : OH Country : United States, 

Nicole20056
    Participant
    There is nothing racial about black males wearing long white t-shirts. There are new fads for every race for every season and long white tees just happen to be one of them. There is even a song about wearing a white tee it's just comfortable and simple.

User Detail :  

Name : Nicole20056, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 20, City : Tallahassee, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : College student, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Brenda19426
    Participant
    It's not a racial thing for black males to have on long white t-shirts. It's just a trend. I know quite a few young men who dress like this and don't give race a thought when they dress this way.

User Detail :  

Name : Brenda19426, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 51, City : Richmond, State : VA Country : United States, 
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.