Long white t-shirts on black males

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 89 total)
  • Author

Steve
    Participant
    I've not noticed this, but then I doubt I would see it in Tucson. It would be interesting to find out what the deal is though. Is it someone copying a fashion statement by a celebrity, for example?

User Detail :  

Name : Steve, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Atheist, Age : 43, City : Tucson, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : Retired Military/student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

valisa
    When u see a young or old 'black' male or female with a white t-shirt on it's not anything racial, it is what we call a 'fad', just like the buzz cut or any other 'in' thing with our young and old generation. So if u see a black person with a white tee on don't get scared it's not anything gang related.

User Detail :  

Name : valisa, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 29, City : coleman, State : TN Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

G-Thomas21736
    Participant
    In urban areas, where money is hard to come by, people often wore hand-me-downs and used clothes, and they don't always fit. This is where the baggy clothes style came from. It was popularized by rappers, and adopted by white, suburban teenagers. In short, there is nothing racial about it. If it were, you wouldn't see white and Latino kids wearing the same.

User Detail :  

Name : G-Thomas21736, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : non-denominational christian, Age : 41, City : Sierra Vista, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : sales, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Stacey Slaughter
    Participant
    These long white t-shirts are worn as a new trend which relates to a rap song that is particularly popular right now that talks about wearing a 'white t'. It's simply a fad, loosely based on this song. Here in Dallas, the black and hispanic kids all wear them. Recently, after the start of school, a school district outlawed the t-shirts as 'gang-related'. They are now allowed to wear the long white t's after it was explained to the district that it was a fad and not gang related.

User Detail :  

Name : Stacey Slaughter, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 33, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Paralegal, Social class : Middle class, 

Rich
    My understanding of the wearing of the long white tees came from street corners where illegal pharmaceautical reps would hang out. The young dealers would all wear white tees and jeans/jean shorts. If someone were to call the police to report a drug deal in progress they can only give a description of a black male in a white t-shirt wearing jeans. Since all the dealers match that description, it would be extremely hard to pick the actual perpetrater out in a line-up.

User Detail :  

Name : Rich, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Methodist, Age : 37, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Design Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Heather
    Well white does go with everything. I've noticed in here in Detroit as well. I was watching MTV and saw numerous rap artists doing the long white t-shirt so I'm assuming that it stems from there. They could be doing a whole lot worse!

User Detail :  

Name : Heather, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 31, City : Warren, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : ER, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

taquasia27414
    Participant
    I don't where you come from but here in B-more it's about having somebody's back. If the police are on your tail and you runnin' from dem then if every other person in your neighborhood is wearing one too how the hell they gon' find ya.

User Detail :  

Name : taquasia27414, Race : Black/African American, Age : 27, City : Baltimore, State : MD Country : United States, 

Jake
    There is no need to tie this latest, teen trend in with racism. This trend started in Atlanta during this past Summer when a local rap group named 'Franchise' came out with a song called 'White Tee'. If anything, this song exemplifies the free-spiritedness of poor, inner-city youth who are tired of being told that, in order to 'fit in', they need to wear Throwback Jerseys, Air Force Ones, Polo, Tommy, Ecko, etc. Some of the lyrics go: 'You don't need no Throwback 'cause you're set in your White Tee. You can get a V-Neck or a Circle on your White Tee'...Whoever that you might see, I know they've got a White Tee - Homeboy, Mother, Brother, Sister, Daddy or your Wifey!...Ooh! That boy there's clean! White shoes, fresh jeans but on that boy's shirt, what does it say? Not a thing!!!' That just reinforces the notion that those who have the least, consistently are able to set new standards and do more-with less! Long story, short, this White Tee phenomenon takes a stab at the absurdity in our overly-commercialized and consumer-addicted lives. More power to them!!!

User Detail :  

Name : Jake, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Non-Denominational, Age : 39, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Scientist, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Raquel
    It is not racial. It is a just an article of clothing that young males of all ethnicities are wearing.

User Detail :  

Name : Raquel, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 31, City : Gary, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : Secretary/ College Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Joe Oden
    Participant
    I live in Atlanta, GA in an area people no as the S.W.A.T.S (Southwest Atlanta is Too Strong) where we all wear white tees. The two main reasons are (1) They are like regular shirts, not like t-shirts you wear like underwear and Footlocker and many other shoe stores have them on sell for like 4 or 5 shits for $20. These shirts look great with all white shoes and some blue jeans. For people who live in the 'hood' and can't afford Phat Farm or Enyce, the white tee outfit is the next best thing and (2) The street reason is not because of race or gang relations. As stated before white tees are usually worn with blue jeans. This 'costume' helps disguise drug dealers. Drug dealers wear this outfit because if they are on the corner with a group of their friends and a neighbor or someone passing by claims that the group is selling drugs, when the police ask for a description, the person would reply black male in a white tee shirt and blue jeans. When the cop arrives to the area, the cop cannot arrest anyone because not only is the group wearing white tees and blue jeans but kids, teenagers, or adults living in the area, walking on the street, have on the same outfit. (Remember the majority of the drug dealers live and deal in 'da hood' where many people can only afford white, black, pink, or whatever color tees.) I hope my long response answers your question.

User Detail :  

Name : Joe Oden, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 23, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Salesman, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

D.M.F.
    In Dayton, OH it is a gang. Not everyone who wears long white t-shirts is in the gang, but there is a gang in the Dayton area that only wears those t-shirts. Some schools have even outlawed the wearing of any blank white t-shirt, weather it be long or not.

User Detail :  

Name : D.M.F., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 20, City : Dayton, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Sasha28166
    Participant
    Nope, nothing racial to it. Just guys being lazy and not wanting to have to worry about alot of options when choosing their clothes for the day. Also they are cheap (the shirts), you could buy a couple packs of white t-shirts for the cost of one designer shirt.... because as I'm sure you know, and others do to.. black folks aren't brought up with bucket fulls of money. Also I think its a camaraderie between guys of the same struggle. And notice I said guys, not black guys, because different people wear white t-shirts. For instance Eminem, the rapper, who we all know is of white descent but he's apart of the struggle and understands the significance, if any, behind the white t-shirt. He wears them too and he's a public figure.

User Detail :  

Name : Sasha28166, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 25, City : Tampa, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Al
    Participant
    The fashion trend among young men is 'swagging' or wearing their pants with the waist below their buttocks. I would imagine the long t-shirts of any color is to keep their behinds covered.

User Detail :  

Name : Al, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 62, City : Nashville, State : TN Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Shani G.
    Participant
    The reason that many people wear white tees is because of the fact that they are cheap and go with almost anything. Those shirts come in 5 for $20. Parents are always telling children to use money wisely and to stop worrying about label, i believe we have accomplished this. As for them being long that is just part of the fashion trend.

User Detail :  

Name : Shani G., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 19, City : Stone Mountain, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Josh
    Participant
    Well there are a few reasons you may hear as to why you may find young males wearing white tees. The first reason is because it is hard for the police to find the wrong do-ers since most of the guys on the corner will have on a white tee and perhaps blue jeans. I never noticed that until it was brought to my attention. The next theory is that it's just a fashion trend. There was a hit song here in Atlanta this summer entitled 'My white tee', and this would lend credence to this theory. You may have some people who would say the first reason may be far fetched, but it really isn't. How many times have you seen youth with cornrows (braids) and khaki pants? Well this is another fashion trend that derived from an unintended source; The prison system.

User Detail :  

Name : Josh, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 32, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.