Long white t-shirts on black males

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 89 total)
  • Author

Huey21335
    Participant
    I think it has something to do with rappers and atheletes who will wear a plain white t-shirt once and throw it away. I know guys who buys these in tons and wear each one once. It's kind of like a statement of 'I'm clean' or 'I can afford to wear a t-shirt that's brand new' or 'I've got enough money to throw t-shirts away rather than wash them if they get dirty'.

User Detail :  

Name : Huey21335, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, 

Fernando21794
    Participant
    I will testify and say that it is a bad fashion statement. It will probably pass like all fashion fads do, and won't be around for too long. I laugh when I see youngsters wearing the super-long tees that look like nightgowns. What's even funnier is when there are airbrushed names, pictures, or cartoon characters to match their hat, doo-rag, sneakers, arm bands, wrist bands, etc., so they're a walking kaleidescope. I just wanna laugh so hard when I see these youngsters who roam around at the theaters and malls. I have yet to build up the courage to roll on the floor in public.

User Detail :  

Name : Fernando21794, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, 

Robert
    In some areas of Atlanta, it has become 'hip' to copy the drug dealers who stand on the corner dealing drugs. The drug dealers, mostly black, wear white t-shirts and blue jeans (or shorts). That way when somebody calls the police to give a description of who is dealing, the dealer is dressed like everyone else.

User Detail :  

Name : Robert, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 43, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Monica20317
    Participant
    To answer your question, the whole white t shirt thing is a fashion trend. There is a popular rap song out and the song simply states he does everything in his 'white T'. It goes into a whole chorus of what he does in his white T, its very innocent. Its sad that people would assume or question it was gang related just because there are black males wearing them.

User Detail :  

Name : Monica20317, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 32, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : stay at home mom, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Sarah
    I recommend you get a hold of the song 'White Tee' By Crime Mob. Its about, you guessed it, white tees, hopefully it will shine some light on your inquiry.

User Detail :  

Name : Sarah, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 17, City : Wilmette, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Lydia
    Participant
    I am not sure why they like especially white T-Shirts, but I see these oversized T-Shirts in all colors, maybe white ones stand more out. Anyway, a good friend of mine, she is African-American and very much educated about black culture and it's origins, told me about where all this oversized cloth come from. She said that in the past, when blacks were inprisoned they gave them cloth that were too big, to make it more difficult for them to flee (Try running with a pair of pants that fall off your body and are too long etc.). When the whole ganster scene and hiphop/rap culture became more popular, young blacks startet wearing the 'prison look'. Imitating, like many young people, something whose origin they don't really know.

User Detail :  

Name : Lydia, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jehovahs Witness, Age : 26, City : Brooklyn, State : NY Country : United States, 

Pansy
    Participant
    They wear them because they are cheap and they don't have send them to cleaners and also they don't have wash them. You can buy ten for 20 dollars.

User Detail :  

Name : Pansy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 58, City : Phila., State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Retired, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Rock
    Cheri, Don't waste a lot of time trying to figure this out. As a Black man I've come to realize that most Black men, and especially the younger ones are the most gullible creatures on the planet. From my understanding, what has turned into a fad is the reflection of prison wear, {eg. sagging pants, large shirts, shoes untied). Since many prisoners are issued clothing which is ususally a few sizes too large for them. Though other colors are worn, white does appear to be the color of preference. Go figure! What amazes me is how a culture can be overwhelingly influenced by institutionlization. I mean, at its root, incarceration was derived from a perspective on penalizing one for wrong doing and these fools glamourize it as the thing to do/be. Someone contact the EPA and place Black people on the endangered species list.

User Detail :  

Name : Rock, City : Baltimore, State : MD Country : United States, 

Diamond25727
    Participant
    Music videos influence the way that many young people dress regardless of what color they are. Many hip hop videos now have the rappers sporting long white t-shirts and jeans/pants. Fans love to look like their idols.

User Detail :  

Name : Diamond25727, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, City : West Palm Beach, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

John29319
    Participant
    The wearing of White T shirts is a product of drug dealers. Drug dealers wear long white t shirts as a way to make themselves look similiar, so it becomes difficult for authorities to identify them. Since aspectes of the black, white, asain, ect.. community glamorizes the drug dealers or street life and life style, it has become a popular fashion. This is similir to the popularzation of baggy pants, which originated from jail.

User Detail :  

Name : John29319, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 28, City : Swedesboro, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : Marketing, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Angie24978
    Participant
    I believe it's because there is a rap song out now called something like 'In my white T-shirt' and it goes on talking about all the things the rapper does in his white t-shirt. So it's probably just a fad for now and that fact that you can get a white t-shirt for cheap.

User Detail :  

Name : Angie24978, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : African Methodist Episcopalian, Age : 29, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Arthur
    Participant
    I live in an area which is between two big cities Memphis and Nashville. The cities are dangerous. I know gang members. Nobody is wearing white T-shirts as a gang sign. It is just fashion. An 'icey white' T-shirt is easy to match with different shoes, jeans, and jewelry. Just fashion.

User Detail :  

Name : Arthur, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 23, City : Jackson, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : military clerk, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Earl P.
    Participant
    There is also a current fad of wearing one's pants as low on the body as possible, pushing the limits of the law and decency. Most young people push limits to find their boundaries. The white t-shirts may allow pants to go even lower, yet still be just within the bounds of decency and the law. The only shirts available in such lengths are white ones, or it may be simply that some shirt maker decided to cash in on the low-pants trend and the shirts caught on as fashion.

User Detail :  

Name : Earl P., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 68, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : retired, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Michelle
    Participant
    It's not racially motivated. It something fun and simple that has been glorified in the african american hip-hop or 'neighborhood' culture. T shirts are inexpensive and most people can afford. Its almost like making a mockery of expensive name brand clothing. You would have to listen to this rap song called 'In my white-tee.'

User Detail :  

Name : Michelle, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 28, City : Memphis, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : Mechanical Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Echoe Simms
    Participant
    Wearing white tees are just the style. Just like jerseys. But now it's a more affordable style. You can go and buy a bunch of plain white shirts. the go with anything. Now the thing with the long white tees that the guys wear..... it's just trend. I personally think they look like night shirts. :) but it's a trend. there's even a song called... 'my white tee'.

User Detail :  

Name : Echoe Simms, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Muslim, Age : 18, City : Heidelberg, State : NA Country : Germany, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.