Fat, how do you view me?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)
  • Author

Natalie20265
    Participant
    I think people who make fun of fat people are really just scared of becoming fat themselves. People like to eat, and it's very easy to eat too much. I was pretty heavy for most of my life. I know how hard it is to keep the weight off. Nobody wants to be fat because it's just not 'desirable.' If people comment, I believe it's sort of a defense mechanism because they're afraid of someday being fat. As far as men commenting on the streets: men can be idiots. Sorry guys, but it's the truth. Men can be very obnoxious. And, yes, I know it's not all men, but I get comments all the time from men who, ahem, 'like what they see.' They think it shows their masculinity to comment. Notice it's usually men who are with other men. It can be very embarrassing, even though the comments are positive.

User Detail :  

Name : Natalie20265, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 19, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : actor, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Kristina26259
    Participant
    I understand what you are going through, although even at my highest weight I was never considered 'obese.' Still, weight has always been an issue, and unless I'm between a size 3 to 6, I don't feel good about myself at a higher weight. I could not stand the thought of being fat, because I was raised to always be pretty and alluring. Although I had the hour-glass figure, I seemed to always get compliments on it by both whites and blacks. It wasn't until I was severely teased in high school about my big hips and thighs that I started worrying so much about it. And unless I get down to 100 pounds (which may be next to impossible), I may always feel subconscious. As far as my perception of others who are overweight, I do not care. I think it's very rude if someone so blatantly points out another person's downfalls, especially if it's a man making fun of a woman. However, I will admit that I may think a bit negatively about an obese person if they dress inappropriately. Sometimes the way one dresses can cause unwanted attention.

And as far as the men, what are the ages of these people who are calling you a 'fat bitch'? They would almost have to be young teens or adults, as I would think older men would be so much more mature than to act in such a primitive fashion. If my hypothesis is correct, you should realize that young people are immature in general. They will make fun of you regardless of what size you are. It is best to ignore these fools and just move on. Believe me, even if you were a size zero, they would still find something to tease you about.

By the way, just because men (especially young ones) say or do whatever, it doesn't mean a thing about whether you are sexually attractive to males in general. Sometimes you will find the men with the biggest mouth are the main ones coming home to voluptuous women. But it doesn't matter. I wouldn't want a man who could only love me for what size I am.

User Detail :  

Name : Kristina26259, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : Transcriber, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

C.S.
    Participant
    When I see someone who is overweight, I feel a bit sad for them, but I don't feel disgusted or the need to be rude. I think *everyone* on the planet has some type of flaw or problem. But if someone is a gambler or an alcoholic, the casual observer would never know it by looking at them. When someone is heavy, everyone knows they either eat too much or have a metabolism problem. I try to be very sensitive to this. I get SO upset when I hear strangers making rude and mean comments about someone they don't know, especially to their faces!

User Detail :  

Name : C.S., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 27, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jay31329
    Participant
    As the daughter of an obese mother, I can relate to the tauntings you received - I got them also from classmates for having a 'fat mother.' However, i also know that my mother didn't eat particularly healthy, and never exercised - preferring instead to drive everywhere. I, on the other hand, am not obese, but spend hours every week exercising (even though I really hate it) just to keep in shape. So, I really think obese people either A) don't want to be in shape or B) want to be in shape but don't want to do the work involved. I think it's a choice.

User Detail :  

Name : Jay31329, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Charles-L
    Participant
    I think of a lack of self-discipline, self-respect and self-control. I think of a drug addict, where the drug is food.

User Detail :  

Name : Charles-L, Gender : M, Race : Asian, Age : 41, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : programmer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dennis
    Participant
    I think it's disgusting. I'm glad I'm not fat. Some people supposedly don't have control over it, but I think that is a lame excuse for lack of will power. Unless you have a massive thyroid problem, which is still treatable by medicine, there is no excuse.

User Detail :  

Name : Dennis, Gender : M, City : Torrance, State : CA Country : United States, 

Mark-Jones22049
    Participant
    I am overweight. I am six foot tall and 275 pounds but I do not consider myself obese. When I am playing basketball or football, I move just as well as anyone on the court. I was once referred to an undercover fat man by a female friend. My point is that it is not your size, it is the way you present yourself. Shapeless bloops disgust me. As long as I can visibly tell that a fat person is trying to take care of themselves, I do not have a problem with them.

User Detail :  

Name : Mark-Jones22049, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 22, City : Joliet, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

kellyn
    It's a combination of sympathy and disgust. I don't mean that I'm disgusted by the way the person looks, I mean, that the sight of a fat person brings my own fear of being fat to light. I have had problems with my own weight in the past as well and worked very hard to trim down, and the thought of going back to what I was is terrifying. In short, my reactions to fat people have nothing to do with them and everything to do with me.

User Detail :  

Name : kellyn, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 30, City : clute, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : tech writer, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Surreal
    Participant
    I don't have a problem with overweight people. I worry about their health, as i would asume many people, like your coleuges, do, which is why i think they show distaste at the things you eat- they don't want you to make yourself sick. i think an overweight person can be just as attractive as a person who is at an ideal weight- i see plent of pretty overweight women, and their are some cute overweight guys. i am not particularrly attracted physically to overweight guys, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and attractiveness is more than just skin deep. so, basically, i don't have problem with overweight people, and i think anyone who does is ignorant. i just think people, including myself, worry about the health of an overweight person, which may be why we may be judgemental when an overweight person does something unhealthy.

User Detail :  

Name : Surreal, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 16, City : baltimore, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : highschool student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Ladybug
    I'm not overweight, but my mom is obese and I know a lot of overweight people. I get upset when people seem to think they know why a certain person is obese. I have read a lot of different things on obesity and it seems that there are many reasons for it. There is research supporting a hormone lacking that tells the body when it is full. Treatments to replace this hormone have been successful in some early research. Sometimes people are obese simply because of an unhealthy lifestyle (eating unhealthy, no exercise, etc.) and need help with that. Others overeat because of underlying psychological problems that need to be addressed. There are probably many more reasons for obesity and people need to recognize this and not just assume they know it is because that person is weak.

User Detail :  

Name : Ladybug, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 24, City : Madison, State : WI Country : United States, Occupation : biological research, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Keith
    Coming from a family that is on the large side I feel it is mostly up to the person to make his/her mind up to lose the weight and keep it off. I am the youngest of 5 kids, until the last couple of years I was the second lightest (approximately 235lbs) of the 3 brothers and the 2 sisters are large also. The middle brother was diagnosed with High Blood Pressure when he was in his mid 20's and went on a strict diet to control it. I was diagnosed with High Blood Pressure when I was 24, lost 40 pounds and am basically keeping the weight off. The oldest brother used to weigh 350+lbs, and had to lose a tremendous amount of weight for medical reasons and now weighs less than I do. The two sisters are like night and day, one watches what she eats, tries to exercise and is generally healthy, but is just a large woman. The other pretty much eats what she wants and rarely exercises so is really overweight.

User Detail :  

Name : Keith, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 31, City : Fargo, State : ND Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kaye
    Being fat shows weakness, lack of selflove and respect. Fat people are fat because they want to be. If you don't want to be fat, cut down on eating and exercise. If you want to be fat, then except and be proud of who you are.

User Detail :  

Name : Kaye, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : New Thought Movement, Age : 39, City : Milwaukee, State : WI Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

J
    When you diet, you have to exercise.. YOU are the only one that can improve your health. If you sit and home and cry that you're fat, GO DO something about it. Get into a gym, get a eating plan! its not what you eat but how much you eat.

User Detail :  

Name : J, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 20, City : kings mnt, State : NC Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jeffrey Sherrard
    Participant
    I am a naturally thin and healthy looking adult. My sister is overweight and has struggled with her weight her whole life. We have had the same upbringing, same parents, same diet. She is not a weak person or someone who struggles with discipline; on the contrary, she is a hardworking, creative, disciplined young woman. Yet she is still quite large. Her size is a reflection of her personal genetics, not a lack of discipline. She eats a healthier diet than I do and exercises regularly, yet she remains quite large. Why should she be teased or treated poorly because of her size? Why should anyone? It is the people who tease, call names and behave so shamefully who have the real problem. I am an Actor and I live in Hollywood where I am surrounded by beautiful people. Many of these same people suffer from deadly eating disorders and spend all their time obsessing about the smallest details of their appearance. Thats not a life, it isn't worth it. Don't worry about what others think, its only your own self perception that matters.

User Detail :  

Name : Jeffrey Sherrard, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 34, City : Hollywood, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Actor, Social class : Middle class, 
    I don't have a problem with fat people because we that aren't fat don't know the medical reasoning behind some peoples weight problems. Some people can't help it because they have some sort of disorder or gland problem or something so we can't go around assuming that ALL people are fat because they eat too much and are lazy, because that is what i used to think. Everytime I saw an overweight person eating or lying down I'd think, 'why do they always complain about being fat and wanting to loosed weight but here he or she is lying down stuffing whopper value meals down their tube?' I sometimes do that still but only when I know the persons situation. Like my cousin, he's fat because he likes to eat fatty foods and do nothing. he doesn't work out and he likes to sleep right after he eats, which is not healthy, so when he asks 'why am i fat' I have no remorse for him because he knows damn well why he's overweight. I think that overweight people are equal with skiny people, and not so skinny people, its society views on fat people that hinder peoples views. If society didn't throw skinny, frail, no curves, no flub, people in our faces everyday we wouldn't frown upon the overweight.

User Detail :  

Name : 1EducatedBlackQueen, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : half italian half black, Age : 19, City : St.Louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : full time college student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.