Lucy H

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Advice about possible gay stepson #19846

    Lucy H
    Member

    The best thing you can do for your son is to talk to him. Be open to him, and let him know you accept him unconditionally. Then try to open the subject of sexual orientation by talking about something you read or saw on TV. He may feel less afraid to talk to you if he knows you will not reject him. And if his other parents probably won’t be open to his sexual orientation, he will really need your support.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Lucy H, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 24, City : San Jose, State : CA, Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Why “black”? #30080

    Lucy H
    Member

    Historically in the US, a person was considered black if that person had ene 1 drop of African blood. This was a legal distinction that allowed white slave owners to enslave their own children born to black slave mothers. By raping their female slaves, the slave owners could increase their slave population with little cost to themselves. I think that it is terrible that this distinction still exists, considering its origin. People should be recognized for their entire heritage, not just a portion.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Lucy H, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 24, City : San Jose, State : CA, Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Racial superiority #37739

    Lucy H
    Member

    I think the reason many “Third World” countries are technologically under-developed has a lot to do with the political histories of those countries. Much of Africa and South America were colonies of European countries for centuries. Colonization has stunted the growth of many of these countries, resulting in poor economic situations. When people are struggling for daily necessities, technological advancement is not a priority.

    One thing to remember, though: Before the Europeans got involved in Africa, the Americas and other places around the world, things were very different in these areas. Ancient, very technologically advanced societies flourished, while Europeans were still living in the stone age.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Lucy H, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 24, City : San Jose, State : CA, Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Rape Changes Mind? #27528

    Lucy H
    Member

    I think your experience is definitely affecting your qualty of life in general. You would probably be bisexual regardless of your experiences, but your fear around men tells me that you have not healed emotionally from your ordeal. I would recommend you see a professional to help you deal with what has happened.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Lucy H, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 24, City : San Jose, State : CA, Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Confused Catholic #16284

    Lucy H
    Member

    The choice is really up to you. All of the questions you raised are very valid, and it all comes down to compatibility. Everyone must take stock of their own values and traits, then compare them with those of a prospective partner. The importance of religion in both of your lives is a big factor in determining compatibility in your case. I think that before you make any commitment to each other, you should have an honest discussion about your differences and how you would work them out. Regardless of your differences, I would recommend not making any commitment now. You are going off to college soon, and many things will change while you are there. I just graduated from college a few months ago, and a lot changed for me in those years. My view of the world is different, as well as how I want my life to be.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Lucy H, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 24, City : San Jose, State : CA, Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Terms of Identity #27564

    Lucy H
    Member

    There are many people who are very sensitive about how their ethnic group is labeled, esspecially by someone not of the same ethnic group. And to make things more complicated, everyone seems to have his or her own opinion as to how their ethnic group should be labeled. I identify myself as Chicana because I am of Mexican descent, but my family has been in California for generations. But if someone refers to me as Mexican, Latina, Hispanic or Mexican-American, I don’t mind. Still, that said, here is the break-down of terms, as far as I know: 1) Chicano: Born in the United States, usually of Mexican descent, but other Latin American countries are also included.
    2) Mexican: Born in Mexico.
    3) Latino or Hispanic: Born anywhere, currently residing anywhere, but of Latin American descent.
    4) Mexican-American: Born in the United States, family originally from Mexico.
    Hopefully this helps. Thank you for being sensitive to the feelings and needs of other people. I wish more people were like that.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Lucy H, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 24, City : San Jose, State : CA, Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Hollywood vs. reality #46680

    Lucy H
    Member

    I agree with you 100 percent that both The Alamo and Pocahontas are prime examples of Hollywood sanitizing history so Americans can feel good about it. This is one of my biggest pet-peeves. How The West Was Won (or “stolen” as I like to refer to the movie) is another example of Hollywood vs. Reality. Just about anything with John Wayne in it, for that matter.

    Still, one thing to remember is that they are movies, not documentaries. So if we expect historical accuracy, we will be disappointed. What really makes me upset are the historical inaccuracies promoted in the schools and history books. The version of The Alamo I learned in school was almost the same as the movie. And according to my fourth-grade California history teacher, California history started in 1849, when Sutter found gold.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Lucy H, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 24, City : San Jose, State : CA, Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: U.S. Presidents and Christianity #33448

    Lucy H
    Member

    I am from a Catholic family, and went to Catholic school. I do not practice catholisism, and am considered to be a pagan by some people. I don’t subscribe to a specific religion, but my belief tend to be oriented toward the celtic beliefs. I do not discuss religion very often, because when I have experienced negative reactions from people when I tell them that i am not a christian. They tend to become suspicious of me, like I worship the devil or something. It’s really weird, since I am a very peaceful, main-stream person. But I have also found that there are more and more people who have rejected christianity in search of less narrow belief systems. As for a non-christian president, our current president may claim to be a christian, but he certainly doesn’t follow the value system perscribed by christianity.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Lucy H, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 24, City : San Jose, State : CA, Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)