Confused Catholic

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Lynne H.
    Participant
    I am 18 and my mother baptized me as a Catholic. I'm open-minded about others' religious beliefs, sexual orientation, race, etc., and have been best-friends with this guy for two years. We have been dating four months and are happily in love. There's only one problem: He's Jewish. I'm heading off to college, and he wants to marry me after I graduate. Can a Catholic marry a Jew? How can we have a family if we have different views? I love and respect him, but how will we work these things out? Also, do Jews still believe women were unclean during their menstrual cycle?

User Detail :  

Name : Lynne H., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, City : Olathe, State : KS Country : United States, Occupation : Library employee, Education level : High School Diploma, 

Andrew
    Participant
    Catholics and Jews can and do marry, with both spouses retaining their own religions. It's not always easy, obviously. Some things to consider if one of you doesn't convert: Judaism says religion passes through the mother's side of the family, so if you have children, they'll be considered Catholic (although it might be nice if they had an appreciation of their father's beliefs, too). The belief that women are 'unclean' during their menstrual cycle is still held by some Orthodox Jews; more mainstream Jews don't necessarily think that. How you work things out ultimately is up to the two of you. You both have to decide how important your own religions are to you and how each of you would feel living with someone who doesn't share the other's beliefs.

User Detail :  

Name : Andrew, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Huntington, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Reporter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Lucy H
    Participant
    The choice is really up to you. All of the questions you raised are very valid, and it all comes down to compatibility. Everyone must take stock of their own values and traits, then compare them with those of a prospective partner. The importance of religion in both of your lives is a big factor in determining compatibility in your case. I think that before you make any commitment to each other, you should have an honest discussion about your differences and how you would work them out. Regardless of your differences, I would recommend not making any commitment now. You are going off to college soon, and many things will change while you are there. I just graduated from college a few months ago, and a lot changed for me in those years. My view of the world is different, as well as how I want my life to be.

User Detail :  

Name : Lucy H, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 24, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Tim-M24576
    Participant
    Surely Catholicism and Judaism are different interpretations of the same religion? If you have enough in common to marry, there can't be that much difference between both of your ethical and spiritual beliefs.

User Detail :  

Name : Tim-M24576, Gender : M, Religion : Atheist, Age : 22, City : Bagshot, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Tim M.
    Participant
    A baptism is YOUR pledge to God of your dedication to a particular faith. If you were too young to consider the consequences of your actions when you were baptised, then your baptism cannot be considered valid. As such, you are free to choose your own religion.

User Detail :  

Name : Tim M., Religion : Atheist, Age : 22, City : Bagshot, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Anne23867
    Participant
    Such questions are painful and difficult. I'm Jewish and was engaged at 19 to a man I truly loved - a Catholic. We were counseled in l980 by a Rabbi and a priest, who both advised us not to marry because of religious differences. Our parents were quite unhappy, as was the rest of the society from either side around us. We took their advice and decided not to marry. We continued to date for 10 more years, then parted ways as friends. Today he is married to a wonderful Catholic woman and has two children. I also married a splendid Jewish man, and we have a child. It is true that life can be challenging and raising children requires committment. Why complicate things by settling for someone who doesn't share the same religious beliefs and values as you? Go away to school, find your own true faith and then search for a man in that same faith. Then you will start on even footing to build a life and family with your life partner.

User Detail :  

Name : Anne23867, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 39, City : North, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Cassandra32412
    Participant
    I too, was baptised and raised Catholic, but do not believe in many of the 'core' ideologies associated with the faith, and thus do not consider myself Catholic anymore. What makes a Catholic a Catholic, and a Jew a Jew? Today it seems like it is more a difference in culture, rather than a difference in what you really believe. You and your friend should talk about what you believe, what you value, what you hold to be true. If you find that you disagree on every subject because of your religious differences, then you should probably reconsider getting married. If you find that you both have the same opinions and values, then most likely the different religious backgrounds will not be an obstacle to a happy marriage.

User Detail :  

Name : Cassandra32412, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic-turned-Unitarian, Age : 30, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.