U.S. Presidents and Christianity

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Zac24351
    Participant
    I recently left Christianity and have found an increased biased against anyone who isn't Christian in the United States. I suppose that isn't too surprising if you read history, but still, I was wondering about public opinion: Do you think a President will ever be elected who is not Christian?

User Detail :  

Name : Zac24351, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, City : Pensacola, State : FL Country : United States, 

Crystal
    As a Pagan, I regretfully have to say "No, not in this lifetime." Where I live (San Francisco Bay Area), Pagans are very common. In most of the rest of the country, Christianity is the dominant religion (about 80 percent of the population) and many are very conservative. Sadly, it seems remote that a Jew could be elected President (and Judaism is a mainstream religion). There is still too much narrow-mindedness for that. I think this country could use a Pagan president.

User Detail :  

Name : Crystal, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 30's, City : Oakland, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Office manager, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Steve27664
    Participant
    I have news for you - there have already been U.S. Presidents who were not Christians. Chief among them was Abraham Lincoln, who openly said he believed in God but not in Jesus as his son (the critical part of being Christian!) and was referred to by contemporaries and associates as a deist. Other presidents who were not members of any church were William Henry Harrison, U.S. Grant and Andrew Johnson. Presidents whose religious beliefs were either unknown, doubtful or at least not obvious were James Madison, James Monroe and Zachary Taylor.

Actually, there is some doubt that even George Washington and Thomas Jefferson held Christian beliefs, with both expressing admiration for Thomas Paine's philosophy, which was definitely not Christian. Even Teddy Roosevelt, publicly expressed doubts about whether God existed. Kind of interesting that all four "heads" on Mount Rushmore may have all been non-Christian Presidents.

User Detail :  

Name : Steve27664, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 42, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

RC
    Participant
    To be brutally honest, I think we already have one. You are right that the vast majority of citizens "claim" to be Christian, but very few try to be Christ-like. That is why Clinton tends to be so successful. I think it would be more likely to have a Pagan elected than someone from another religion. It is easier to tolerate someone who doesn't believe in any higher power than someone whose beliefs run against yours.

User Detail :  

Name : RC, City : Westerville, State : OH Country : United States, 

Jesse-N30805
    Participant
    As an American Jew, I've known all my life what you are now discovering; that in the United States anyone who is not a Christian is a barely tolerated heathen. I'm not bitter about it; it's just the facts of life about living in a country where 90 percent of the population is of a faith whose principle tenet is that all persons of any other faith are heretics who will burn in eternal hellfire.

But to answer the question: I have no doubt that the United States will never, ever, elect a non-Christian president. After all, JFK was Catholic, and he faced an awful lot of criticism as a heathen.

User Detail :  

Name : Jesse-N30805, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 40, City : Herzliya, State : NA Country : Israel, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

T.R.
    Participant
    The bias you are experiencing is not typical of society in my opinion. The people that I associate with come from various religious groups, and the only bias I observe is that of atheists toward Christians and Jews. In response to the question, I do feel that it is entirely possible that a non-Christian could be elected president.

User Detail :  

Name : T.R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Mormon, Age : 17, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Matt-Miller
    Participant
    I'm an atheist. And while I don't expect to see an atheist elected president in my life-time I really doubt much of an issue would be made of a Jew running for president. Most people have moved beyond that I think.

User Detail :  

Name : Matt-Miller, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 22, City : Sacramento, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Redeemed-One30116
    Participant
    To Zac. I'm just curious, why did you leave Christianity?

User Detail :  

Name : Redeemed-One30116, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 50, City : Newport News, State : VA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Anonymous23725
    Participant
    You found an increased bias? No kidding! As a matter of conscience, I refused to join my parents' (Protestant) church when I was 15. For the next few years, I was persecuted horribly by Christians (once even threatened at knifepoint). I learned to hide my growing personal beliefs and to let Christians assume I was one of them. There are a lot of us, I think. (OK, now watch them pile on the hypocrisy about "The people who treated you so badly weren't real Christians!.")

User Detail :  

Name : Anonymous23725, City : Pueblo, State : CO Country : United States, 

Lucy H
    Participant
    I am from a Catholic family, and went to Catholic school. I do not practice catholisism, and am considered to be a pagan by some people. I don't subscribe to a specific religion, but my belief tend to be oriented toward the celtic beliefs. I do not discuss religion very often, because when I have experienced negative reactions from people when I tell them that i am not a christian. They tend to become suspicious of me, like I worship the devil or something. It's really weird, since I am a very peaceful, main-stream person. But I have also found that there are more and more people who have rejected christianity in search of less narrow belief systems. As for a non-christian president, our current president may claim to be a christian, but he certainly doesn't follow the value system perscribed by christianity.

User Detail :  

Name : Lucy H, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 24, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Stacee27909
    Participant
    What is so hypocritical about distancing yourself from people who misuse and abuse the faith you hold more dear than anything else in the world? I've heard pagans distance themselves from people who claim to be pagans, but are really satanists or just kids who want an excuse to committ violence against other people or other living things. Honest Muslims distance themselves from terrorists who kill in the name of Islam. Why shouldn't Christians do the same thing? I share my faith with others, but try to respect their right (in fact, their responsibility) to care for their own souls. I also respect the individuality and dignity of each soul, as they are a precious creation of God. It's too bad so many other people aren't willing to extend the same courtesy.

User Detail :  

Name : Stacee27909, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 30, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

John K.
    Participant
    Despite the claims of religious freedom in this country, there is a definite bias toward Christianity. My tendency to avoid organized religion has caused me some problems now and then. My wife and I were almost denied the right to be married in a church because I was not 'Catholic enough.' Some Christians will even say Catholics are not Christian, but when push comes to shove, Christians will accept Catholics long before they will accept members of other faiths. I tend toward the agnostic view while studying religion to seek my own answers, but I constantly find myself having to 'play Christian' in order to avoid difficulty. So while I would have no problem voting for a Jewish presidential candidate (assuming he or she had similar political views), I doubt such a candidate would win without great struggle.

User Detail :  

Name : John K., Gender : M, Age : 26, City : Cranford, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : Chemical Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Scott
    Participant
    Thomas Jefferson, on April 21, 1803, wrote to Dr. Benjamin Rush: 'My views ... are the result of a life of inquiry and reflection, and very different from the anti-Christian system imputed to me by those who know nothing of my opinions. To the corruption of Christianity I am, indeed, opposed; but not to the genuine precepts of Jesus himself. I am a Christian in the only sense in which he wished any one to be; sincerely attached to his doctrines in preference to all others...' Theodore Roosevelt said: '... I believe that the next half century will determine if we will advance the cause of Christian civilization or revert to the horrors of brutal paganism. The thought of modern industry in the hands of Christian charity is a dream worth dreaming. The thought of industry in the hands of paganism is a nightmare beyond imagining.' 'Every thinking man, when he thinks, realizes that the teachings of the Bible are so interwoven and entwined with our whole civic and social life that it would be literally impossible for us to figure ourselves what that life would be if these standards were removed. We would lose almost all the standards by which we now judge both public and private morals.' I think it is obvious from these quotes that these men had faith in God and the Bible. While some of the quotes don't mention Christ by name, I think it would be a greater 'leap' to believe these men did not have faith in Christ. All the quotes above I have references for if anyone is interested

User Detail :  

Name : Scott, Gender : M, Age : 39, City : Boca Raton, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

H.
    People's religious beliefs tend to inevitably influence their views on politics and public policy. Most Americans are Christian and tend to elect those who at least espouse some Christian faith. However, I think most Americans revere religious freedom and the separation of church and state. Religious affiliation should not and will not remain a precursor for any public office. Keep in mind, Zac, that the most vocal groups currently claiming to be Christian are groups that actually go against the essential Christian tenets of love for and generosity toward all people and the requirement to refrain from judging others. These groups, the so-called religious right, use the holy name of Christ to justify their extremely un-Christian agendas and prejudices (e.g. sexism, racism, homophobia). As a native of the Florida Panhandle, I can definitely empathize if you are discouraged by the lack of open political diversity in our overwhelmingly conservative, Christian region.

User Detail :  

Name : H., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : white Southerner, Religion : Methodist, Age : 25, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : statistician, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Jack21206
    Participant
    You are not a Christian by default, i.e. not being a Jew or Muslim. Who knows how many Presidents have been born-again Christians? "Born again" are the words Christ used, not man. Some people do not know that. The worst bias that exists in this country right now is against conservative people of faith - any faith. The news media and Hollywood hold conservative people of faith in the lowest regard of any group in America. We are at the bottom of the bucket in our PC world. Add being white and Southern and I guess we should send letters of appreciation to the media that we are allowed to live in America.

User Detail :  

Name : Jack21206, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 54, City : Suwanee, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : professional, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.