White people’s feet on the dashboard

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
  • Author

Brian22990
    Participant
    I've done this a few times on long trips. I feel a little cheated because I just did it for fun and to cool my feet. I didn't realize I should have studied the political ramifications of slavery and my superiority by putting my feet on the dash. (Truth is, the windshield is better . . . or out the window is awesome.) After reading this discussion, my dog will never hang his head out the window while my cat is in the car because he may not know it has racial (or species) implications.

User Detail :  

Name : Brian22990, Gender : M, City : Orlando, State : FL Country : United States, 

AP
    Participant
    White privilege? Hah! Do you really think I have this insatiable urge to put my feet on the dash because of a genetic predisposition!? Please. It's comfortable. I go on long rides a lot, and I get tired of sitting in the same position. My seatbelt is on, the driver (who, incidentally, is my black girlfriend) does not mind and sometimes does it herelf, so I don't see the safety hazard. By the way, she and I have an older model Toyota and a new Expedition, so I guess that discounts the theory that only people with old cars put their feet on the dash. In all fairness, though, my ex, who was also black, just couldn't figure it out and hated that I did it. In her family, expensive material possessions such as cars were to be treated with care; they didn't put their feet on the coffee table, either. My family puts their feet up in the home and in the car, just to be comfortable. When I told my mom that my then-girlfriend thought that was dirty, she looked very confused and replied, 'Why? I took my shoes off!'

User Detail :  

Name : AP, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 24, City : Prince Georges County Public Schools, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : Teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Matt22024
    Participant
    I'm pretty sure that comfortable postures are more universal than racial differences. Putting one's feet up is typically considered comfortable. Check La-Z-Boy chairs or go into a lecture hall and count the number of students (skin color notwithstanding) who have their feet up on the chairs in front of them. I'm white, I'm usually more comfortable with my feet up (including in the car), and I've never set foot on a plantation.

User Detail :  

Name : Matt22024, Gender : M, City : New York City, State : NY Country : United States, 

Ruth G.
    It is not a 'white thing.' I am black and put my feet on the dashboard. It feels good to stretch and not have to lose time by stopping the car.

User Detail :  

Name : Ruth G., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 31, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Carly19264
    Participant
    I am a teenager and fairly flexible, so it is just a comfortable position in the front passenger seat.

User Detail :  

Name : Carly19264, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 13, City : Vinton, State : IA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 
    I'm black and I love putting my feet on the dash, or on the windshield when their hot, or the vent when they are cold. Its comfortable and relaxing and i have been doing it since i was allowed to sit in the front seat, 15 years. It never occured to me that this was a race thing, no less a white thing. I don't think so at all, its all about comfort for me.

User Detail :  

Name : Blayne Martin-watson, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 19, City : Guelph, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Me
    Participant
    Well if you don't mind.......I am white,German to be exactly and here for 4 years,therefore I do not decent from ANY slave keeper or whatever.AND I DO too like my feet on the dashboard,sometimes on long rides. You just made a racist remark against whites which not all have anything nor the slightest thing to do with your american slave history! btw........I hope you know that only 5% of all 'whites' decent from slave keepers? Like i said....I am CERTAINLY not one of'm and put my feet there because I LIKE IT!

User Detail :  

Name : Me, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Lawrenceville, State : GA Country : United States, 

bob23107
    Participant
    B/C NIGGERS WERE BORN SLAVES THEY DIE SLAVES

User Detail :  

Name : bob23107, City : baltimore, State : MD Country : United States, 

Junin420
    Participant
    I would have to agree with you but i'm not white. It might have to do with the fact that we might be wearing flip flops. It's relaxing and shows a carefree attitude. (mex.american)

User Detail :  

Name : Junin420, Gender : M, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 26, City : La Quinta, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jessica
    Participant
    I am white, and I grew up poor. As a poor college student, I often wonder where my next meal is coming from, though I am privileged to have health insurance through my school so I list myself as middle class. Not only have I never ridden in my car with the feet out of the window, I've never sipped lemonade with my feet up while blacks worked in the hot sun. Neither did my ancestors. My ancestors were Irish immigrants, and a large percentage died as children in Long Island, NY because of the lack of child labor laws. It's a miracle anyone survived the slum working conditions. So it's awfully ignorant to classify all white people as being descended from slave-owners or having been handed this mythical 'white privilege'. Not only that, since you speak of history, I am a history major, and I have noticed in my studies that at one time or another every ehtnicity or culture has enslaved every other ethnicity or culture. I truly resent the implication that what some white people did to some black people in this country a century and a half ago explains any behavior I might have that you dislike, and I even more resent you categorizing me into a category that I don't belong in. Education rather than blame is the name of progressing as a culture. If we continue to blame the past for current conditions we will never get anywhere.

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 23, City : Huntsville, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Cassie
    I am a black woman, and on long road trips, I put my feet on the dashboard, so it is not just white people that do it. It is an issue of comfort.

User Detail :  

Name : Cassie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 29, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Customer Service, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

John29394
    Participant
    that's true tracey,i have only seen whites with their feet on the dashboard. but this is my question: how come you see so many blacks with their seats all the way back in the reclining position? some, i understand, are tall, but you could have a 5'2' person driving like he's/she's in the dentist chair. why?

User Detail :  

Name : John29394, City : Chestnut Ridge, State : NY Country : United States, 

George21656
    Participant
    This response must be a joke, right? You can't be serious with this reponse. The vast majority of white America claim roots in countries other than the USA, but because we are white we automatically share a common 'lazy and unkempt' trait that has been bred into us. And of course that trait stems from the overwhelming comfort we enjoyed in colonial times (a period known for its extreme comfort and laziness), while subjugating blacks. And this sound historical/scientific hypothesis is based on the fact that the white people seem to put their feet on the dash more than any other race. Uhh...yeah. First of all, I would like to remind you Seamus, that half of the population you are so quick to disparage fought and died, in part, to abolish slaverey. Yup, half the white population of the Civil War period managed to put down their lemonades just long enough to pay the ultimate sacrifice to liberate slaves. Secondly, correct me if I am wrong but isn't the common, albeit incorrect, stereotype that black people are lazy? How did that one come about? Of course, I am making a mountain out of a molehill because you MUST have been joking in the first place. That being the case...good one!

User Detail :  

Name : George21656, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 31, City : Manchester, State : NH Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Dennis
    Participant
    That is about the most ignorant statement I have heard in awhile your lack of education is evident in your statement.

User Detail :  

Name : Dennis, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 42, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Police officer, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

valerie
    What are you nuts? What a bitter uneducated person you must be. Lazy and privledged. Guess what? There is a higher expectation on whites by whites to achieve on every level. I assume no one expects you to do anything.

User Detail :  

Name : valerie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Mormon, Age : 45, City : Ft. Lauderdale, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : sales, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.