“White people wet dogs” – that’s a racist slur!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • Author

Sue27738
    Participant
    Chill, Dan, it's just a bit of irreverence. In the scheme of things, we all smell a little funny at times. Keep the big picture in mind - underneath our smell, ethnicity and skin color, we all get hurt feelings. We feel blue, we have periods of happiness and the same sun rises over all of us. Let's just be good neighbors to each other, OK?

User Detail :  

Name : Sue27738, Gender : F, City : Waterloo, State : IA Country : United States, 

CY
    I agree that the title is a racist slur, but it does grab your attention and bring into light the fact that racism is not a thing of the past but a current problem. This site is to promote understanding, and if people don't realize that some things are incorrect stereotypes (such as the fact that white people smell like wet dogs when the come out of the rain) how can they come to understand the truth? We can't be afraid of racial slurs if we hope to disable them.

User Detail :  

Name : CY, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 18, City : St. Louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Michelle
    Participant
    I am a mature woman of color. I don't think the reason for the book's title was to make a racial slur. It clearly states a fact. I have been around a lot of different types of people, and some white people really do smell like wet dogs when coming out of the rain. If you were to title a book about black people smelling like monkeys, that would just not be true.

User Detail :  

Name : Michelle, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Methodist, Age : 40, City : Albany, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Administrative Assistant, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jamara
    Asking why white folks smell like wet dogs is a legitimate question. I, for one, saw the author on a talk show and went searching for the book the very next day. And here I am on the forum. So, obviously, this author has accomplished what would have to be one of his goals: Getting the public interested and talking. In my family, I learned that white folks have a bad smell when it rains at a very early age, say around 8 or 9. Also, we know white women have a bad and peculiar smell while menstruating. I've been in locker rooms, and boy, is this true. Also my husband, who use to be a sellout, confirms this. Now, my mother always said white folks don't get cold, but I don't believe this one. But you do see white folks with shorts and tank tops and nothing on their babies heads in the winter. Go figure.

User Detail :  

Name : Jamara, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 26, City : Anchorage, State : AK Country : United States, Occupation : Office manager, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Godz21522
    Participant
    FYI... A WHITE MAN WROTE THAT BOOK. AND THANK YOU FOR EXPRESSING HOW YOU REALLY FEEL ABOUT BLACK PEOPLE. HOW UNCOVERED YOU MUST FEEL! THE AUTHOR WAS ON THE ANANDA LEWIS SHOW.

User Detail :  

Name : Godz21522, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 28, City : Kidd, State : GA Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Kelsey
    A white person wrote 'Why do white people smell like wet dogs when they come out of the rain?' Perhaps you should do a little more research before you shoot off your mouth.

User Detail :  

Name : Kelsey, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 19, City : Regina, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Indigo21391
    Participant
    Calm down! It's not meant as a racist slur. People are always talking about what's different about black people, or Asian people, or Chinese people, but this just kind of turns it around and says, well, people are just as entitled to ask the same sorts of questions of white people. And why not? If this web site (and the book) is going to discuss the differences among the human race, there have got to be questions put to white people, too, as they have a different ethnic background as well.

User Detail :  

Name : Indigo21391, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 17, City : Aberdeen, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, 

Kelly R.
    The author of 'Wet Dogs' is a white man. I saw him on a talk show a few days ago and he had a lot of good things to say. The title of his book is an example of the kinds of questions that he would like to get out in the open. On that talk show, some 'experts,' including the author, offered some very good answers to the wet dog question, ranging from biological differences to people simply not being exposed to how other races react to certain environmental situations. I don't think the author's intention was to slight his own people. Instead, just as he is doing with this site, his intention is to get people talking about these stereotypes.

User Detail :  

Name : Kelly R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 25, City : St. Louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : university instructor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mary
    Participant
    To Mike: The last time I heard 'kraut,' they were referring to a German, and 'kike' to a Jewish person. Also, the last time I checked, people of both German and Jewish heritage are white, so white people DO encounter racism, no matter if you believe it or not. 'Why Do White People Smell Like Wet Dogs When They Come Out of the Rain' can be interpreted as a racist question because it is not the color of the person's skin that gives them a 'wet dog' smell. It has to do with so many outside factors, such as the fabric one is wearing, the products they use on their hair, whether or not they smoke, etc.

User Detail :  

Name : Mary, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 28, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : social work, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Carolyn
    You might be shocked to hear this, but the man who wrote the book is white!

User Detail :  

Name : Carolyn, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 21, City : O'Fallon, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ramonna30218
    Participant
    I assume the book is titled that way to get across the idea that it deals with a lot of questions and statements that people usually do not discuss in public or are afraid to discuss. I believe the question about white people smelling like wet dogs was from a real question, so that's an example of 'truth in advertising,' and also I guess the authors hoped the catchy title would sell books. Personally, I would be embarassed to walk into a bookstore and ask for it by name.

User Detail :  

Name : Ramonna30218, Gender : F, City : Minneapolis, State : CT Country : United States, 

Cindy31949
    Participant
    Dan, why must you jump to conclusions in such a manner? Your automatic assumption that a black wrote the book, and your haste to hurl an insult at blacks, just shows the ignorance and level of your racism. For your information, the author of the book is a white man! Please do not lurch out at other races before getting your facts straight.

User Detail :  

Name : Cindy31949, Gender : F, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, 

Emily-W25362
    Participant
    The author of this book is white. I saw him on 'The Ananda Lewis Show.'

User Detail :  

Name : Emily-W25362, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 20, City : Fairfax, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Kim
    what do you mean its true? i dont notice anyone smelling like wet dog when they come out of the rain.. white or any other color.. we just smell.. like rain.. lol.. EVERYONE smells like rain when they come in from the rain.. hell.. even dogs smell like rain if they're clean before they go out.. ive never even heard of this before i saw the author on 'The Ananda Lewis Show'.. and he happened to mention that he didnt know of any white people that had heard it before.. but he couldnt find one black person who hadn't heard it..

User Detail :  

Name : Kim, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 17, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Secretary, Social class : Middle class, 

Tara27425
    Participant
    The author of the book is a white man!

User Detail :  

Name : Tara27425, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 17, City : Astoria, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.