“White people wet dogs” – that’s a racist slur!

Viewing 3 posts - 46 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author

Name
    Participant
    That's interesting that people who've never ever met one another automatically understand when one says, 'White people smell like wet dogs.' I actually saw a forum about this. It was actually entitled, 'Black men smell raw...' and it had to do with Black men in interracial relationships with White women are beginning to pick up that raw smell. I don't know if Black people smell like wet monkeys though.

User Detail :  

Name : Name, City : City, State : NY Country : United States, 

Dina
    Participant
    I find the title of the book extremley offensive,that fact that a white man wrote it does not however surprise me. Whites have recentley show nothing but hate for thier own race I worry about a world where my children will grow up hating the fact that they are white I think it is a disgrace. Do not get me wrong I do not have a problem with interracial dating or marrying for that matter. I have had serious relationships with people of other races,however I never forgot about my own race. I am proud to be of europian disent just as others are proud of where their ansesters came from. I do not think everyone can live happily in a society where some cultures are looked down upon be it because they are black, white ,green or rainbow colored.

User Detail :  

Name : Dina, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 29, City : cape may, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : stay at home mother of two, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Rachel
    Participant
    Although I can see why the title of the book could be mildly offensive to some, as a white person, I am not offended. Would I be if the title were comparing African-Americans to monkeys? Absolutely. Here's why: To refer to whites as wet dogs is devoid of the explicit racism in the phrase 'blacks smell like wet monkeys....' because while whites have NOT BEEN systematically oppressed throughout the world and collectively been compared to animals throughout time and history, blacks HAVE. Therefore, the sentences comparing whites to dogs and blacks to monkeys are NOT analogous and are, in fact, very different when taking into account the reality of the extreme racism and acute subjugation that Africans have experienced in this society. White people and black people have had polar-opposite experiences in this world: Blacks have been physically and psychologically tortured and oppressed; whereas white society, for the most part, has been the oppressor. Of course, this does not make all whites villains or blacks helpless victims, but it is a matter of historical fact, especially in the U.S. Having said this, however, I do find the title of the book problematic in some respects. For example, most white people are bound to find it annoying or mildly offensive, which can cause increased animosity toward this perceived 'double-standard' in race issues and maybe even cause some of them to be more racist themselves. However, as a white person, I really hope that we can get to the point where we see that because we have not had the same experiences as black people, we CANNOT parallel our experiences to theirs in situations dealing with race. In my opinion, to do so is presumptuous, insensitive and ignorant. As white people, let's stop being on the defensive all of the time and relax a bit.... We have no reason to worry about being the victim--we're most clearly not. Unlike African-Americans, we are considered the 'norm' in society and have the privilege of 'blending in' without having to feel the burden of systematic racial bias and prejudice in this society.... To say that comparing whites to dogs and blacks to monkeys is the same thing shows a complete disregard of the very different collective experiences of blacks and whites in this country. While the latter analogy carries centuries of brutal racism within it, the former is something someone came up with on a whim to sell a book.

User Detail :  

Name : Rachel, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 27, City : Mackenzie, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : high school teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 46 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.