Waiting for stutterers to finish

Viewing 4 posts - 46 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Author

Kate26622
    Participant
    If you can't spare an extra 30 seconds to spare someone's feelings, then don't interact with anyone who is different from you.

User Detail :  

Name : Kate26622, Gender : F, City : Newport, State : RI Country : United States, 

Thomas
    Participant
    Dear Shana, Please be polite. When a stutterer is trying really hard to make a point he needs to finish what he started to say. After a long stuttering period to get a point accross there is actually a sense of satisfaction in the individual at the difficult accomplishment. Getting that sentence out means as much to them as finishing a race to you. You don't have to come in first place, but just finishing is important. You will increase their frustration and feeling of failure by cutting them off or making them feel like they are wasting your time. Please be patient.

User Detail :  

Name : Thomas, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 48, City : Lakewood, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Construction Project Manager, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Stephanie-B27771
    Participant
    I have stutttered my entire life, and I do appreciate your question. It is better to wait for the person to finish speaking and not speak for them. For many in the stuttering community it is considered rude and it indicates the person does not want to take the time to interact.

User Detail :  

Name : Stephanie-B27771, Gender : F, Disability : stutterer, Race : Black/African American, Age : 38, City : Columbia, State : MO Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kæreste
    I have a stutter, though it is not always very prominent. It is worst when I am tired or stressed or under some type of duress. It doesn't bother me when people finish my thoughts if they are nice about it. I do get offended by the 'you are wasting my time, you buffoon' attitude I sometimes receive. If you approach it the same way you would a person who was 'looking for the right word,' you should come across all right.

User Detail :  

Name : Kæreste, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Unitarian, Age : 22, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Construction, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 4 posts - 46 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.