Waiting for stutterers to finish

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author

Kazuo
    Participant
    I would think that it is not only courteous, but of mutual support to, in the situation you have described, allow that person to finish.

User Detail :  

Name : Kazuo, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 13, City : Santa Rosa, State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

GH21743
    Participant
    You should allow the person to finish speaking. It would be bad manners to to assume what someone was asking or wanted to say, and you may be incorrect in your assumption.

User Detail :  

Name : GH21743, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 29, City : Utica, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Shana-B
    Participant
    How do others feel about someone who stutters badly and is trying to make a statement or ask a question while taking up your time? If you already know what they are trying to say, should you interrupt and answer, or just wait until they are finished?

User Detail :  

Name : Shana-B, Gender : F, City : Miami, State : FL Country : United States, 

Shaina
    Participant
    Try this. Imagine that you are in a country where English is not spoken by many people. You have some special need, such as directions, order a meal, find a doctor, etc. Your halting (French, Spanish, Urdu...) when you try to communicate with other people results in your 'taking up their time' while they wait for you to get the words out. How would you feel if you were impatiently interrupted by somebody who guessed at your message? Would you feel frustrated? Offended? Hurt?

User Detail :  

Name : Shaina, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Secular Humanist, Age : 27, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

steve27702
    Participant
    I have a friend who stutters. I always wait for him to finish his statement. It's a common courtesy that should be offered to everyone.Just imagine the effort it takes a person who stutters to convey a thought. Besides, I can be polishing up my response while I patiently wait for his reply. Don't you find it rude when others finish your thoughts or interupt before you close your statements or questions?

User Detail :  

Name : steve27702, City : brooksville, State : FL Country : United States, 

Vail24456
    Participant
    I do my best to let them finish. Although I wonder if they'd feel relieved if I interrupted, at least when it's a basic question or statement. Also, I'm the furthest thing from 'poker face.'

User Detail :  

Name : Vail24456, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : mutt, Religion : Atheist, Age : 40, City : Philly, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Bill-T
    Participant
    I have a friend who stutters badly so I know exactly what you're talking about. I think the polite thing to do is to wait the extra second or two and let them finish. That's what I do and it works just fine. My friend has never said to me, 'Why don't you just finish my sentence?' or anything like that.

User Detail :  

Name : Bill-T, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 43, City : Naples, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Anne23875
    Participant
    I would definitely wait until they are finished, while concentrating on keeping a patient body language.

User Detail :  

Name : Anne23875, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 21, City : Cedar Falls, State : IA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

glenda sh
    look at it like this, if you was in their shoes how would you want someone to react to you with your question? my opinion is that it is rude to interrupt, it could affect their self esteem more, and belittle them. wait for them to finish their statement is my answer. good luck!!

User Detail :  

Name : glenda sh, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 39, City : toledo, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Ronk
    I have a manager who works for me who stutters and I have the same inclination to finish his sentences often. But as I have worked with him longer, I come to realize that many times if he begins to reply to my question with a stutter, his answer will not be positive or worst, he's being untruthful. I know that it is extremely difficult to have the patience to simply allow him to complete his thought, but it seems to be the proper thing to do. Also, he's much more fluid via email. You might try that!

User Detail :  

Name : Ronk, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, 

Meg
    Participant
    Interrupting is not only rude, it will cause them to stutter more.

User Detail :  

Name : Meg, City : Gainesville, State : FL Country : United States, 

Leanne
    I think the compassionate and respectful thing to do is the let them finish. I would think if someone senses your frustration, they could become nervous about your annoyance and it could make their stuttering worse. Do you really think you'll be late some where or is it more of an anoyance? I dont want this to sound mean but I'd say weigh your lateness against their self-esteem. Unless you would finish someone's thought, no matter their speach patterns, because you're late it would show a lot of character strength to let them finish. This could be an opportunity for you to be very loving and compassionate, TAKE IT!!

User Detail :  

Name : Leanne, Gender : F, Race : I'm a mutt!!, Religion : Christian, Age : 22, City : pleasant hill, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : artist, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Dave M.
    Participant
    Most stutterers are VERY aware of 'making you wait' and that only adds to the stress they're feeling. Even so, its considered very impolite to jump in and finish their sentence! (Also, any signs of impatience on your part will only make it worse!) Just slow down and metaphorically sit back. Once they figure out that you think what they have to say is worth waiting for... Thanks for asking.

User Detail :  

Name : Dave M., Sexual Orientation : tg lesbian, Race : mixture, Religion : Pagan, Age : 49, City : mc cleary, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : philosopher, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower class, 

Luticha D.
    Participant
    my old orthopedic surgeon used to stutter terribly. sometimes you could tell if he needed help with a word as the stuttering got worse, then it seemed fine to interject. also try not to think of it as 'wasting your time' just think of how you might feel if someone thought of that when talking with you.

User Detail :  

Name : Luticha D., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : asexual, Disability : Paralyzed, Race : creole, Religion : existentialist, Age : 21, City : Fairport, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Kas
    Participant
    Although it can be frustrating for the person listening, it is worse for the stutterer. Try to be patient and let them finish, if it is someone you know very well you can supply a word or two for them to help out. Otherwise it would be considered rude.

User Detail :  

Name : Kas, Gender : F, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 30, City : Oshkosh, State : WI Country : United States, Occupation : Disabilities Assistant, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.