Waiting for stutterers to finish

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • Author

Screech
    Participant
    I prefer to wait until they finish their god-awful sentence... It gives me more time to laugh at them! Or I continue with the conversation while they are still mid-sentence, addressing what they are trying to say...

User Detail :  

Name : Screech, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 21, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

K.Tait
    I was always told to let someone have their say, be polite and patient.No one likes being interupted.

User Detail :  

Name : K.Tait, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Epilepsy, Race : Canadian Native, Religion : Atheist, Age : 30, City : Cambridge, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Welder, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

David25860
    Participant
    Definately show patience and wait for the the individual to finish. A person who is in a wheelchair feels demeaned when their handicap is pointed out. It is unhelpful for a person who is overweight when others point out their obesity. Likewise, a person's stuttering is part of who they are. Finishing their sentences sends a clear message to the effect of 'Your attempt to communicate with me is bothering me. Who you are as a person makes me uncomfortable.'

User Detail :  

Name : David25860, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 40, City : Sacramento, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Customer Service, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Shelly
    Participant
    While your time may be valuable, I'd be willing to bet the person who stutters also puts value on his time. A friend of mine stutters even more under stress than if he is fairly relaxed, and he says that when he KNOWS someone is impatient with his stammer, it puts stress on him, and he stammers worse. I've also learned from him that I don't always know what he is going to say until he has finished saying it. So try a little patience, and try not to assume. The stutterer might just be able to relax a little and be able to speak a little better.

User Detail :  

Name : Shelly, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : mixed, Religion : witch, Age : 54, City : Vancouver, BC, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Derik
    Participant
    I work with a stutterer so I know how you feel. It does get frustrating somtimes. But you need to understand their side. Most likly they grew up with this problem And had to deal with People being rude or not understanding that they can't help it( especially as children ). So often they already have a complex about it. Also think about it. How would it make you feel if someone who could talk faster than you just came along and started finshing all your sentences.

User Detail :  

Name : Derik, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 30, City : Pepperell, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Electrician, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Frank25175
    Participant
    Be polite and wait until they are finished.

User Detail :  

Name : Frank25175, City : Akron, State : OH Country : United States, 

Aysha27370
    Participant
    To my mind, it all depends on your relationship with the person stuttering. If it were a relative or friend, I would definitely interrupt them. However, if it is a stranger, a co-worker or the like, I would wait. The first group you already have a bond created. With the latter group, you are in a social situation that would seem to call for a certain amount of patience and manners.

User Detail :  

Name : Aysha27370, Gender : F, City : Ammon, State : ID Country : United States, 
    What I have done is to simply look at them gently, while thinking out a shopping list, and wait til they finish--they haven't the foggiest that you were thinking about what to make for dinner that night,or how great your husband was in bed last night! Plus, they greatly appreciate your patience!

User Detail :  

Name : NorthernDisclosures, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 40, City : Out in the Hills, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Getting There, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

David Pickrum
    Participant
    As a person who went through two years of speech therapy, I can only speak for me and a few others I have known. Please be patient with them, as sometimes the stuttering is accentuated by being self-conscious or nervous.

User Detail :  

Name : David Pickrum, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : British, Polish, Spanish, Muscolero Apache, Religion : Christian, Age : 48, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Tom-O
    Participant
    I think waiting it out is the right thing to do. It seems sound bytes, instant everything has made the world full of impatient people. The stutterer is a person struggling to communicate, so cut a little slack, it's their time too...

User Detail :  

Name : Tom-O, Gender : M, City : Oklahoma City, State : OK Country : United States, 

Ericka
    Participant
    I have a friend who has a problem with this. I say let them finish. They have a difficult time as it is without a person rushing them through what they are trying to say. Think about this way: they were probably just about to spit it out and after all their trying, someone finished for them.

User Detail :  

Name : Ericka, Gender : F, City : Lafayette, State : LA Country : United States, 

Anne
    Participant
    Always wait for them to finish. I learned that in a disabilities awareness class.

User Detail :  

Name : Anne, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 22, City : Iowa City, State : IA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jenn-Z
    Participant
    I work with people who have disabilities including speech impairments, so I have a little bit of experience with this and will share what I have learned. I think it is normal, when speaking with someone with a speech impairment, to want to 'help them out' and finish their sentences and thoughts for them. Partly this is due to our own embarrassment, how WE would feel if we had the same impairment, and people coming from this view point are not meaning any harm, but actually trying to do good. Think of it this way, though: You go through your day, week, month, year with people never letting you finish what you are trying to say. They finish your sentence, assuming they know what you are trying to communicate (and are usually wrong). They appear impatient as you do your best to express yourself. You start trying to make your comments brief, but feel you are talking more like a robot or a toddler, than an adult. You start to feel unheard and misunderstood. Imagine feeling that way for years. What that would do to your self-respect. I have learned that it is only respectful to allow someone to speak and finish their thoughts. I am not the judge on what the proper speed of speech is, nor do I always say the right thing in the right way. I think it is worth my 'time' to listen to others, if for nothing more than to allow them to be heard and feel respected. This leads to empowerment and feelings of worth, which only increases the level communication.

User Detail :  

Name : Jenn-Z, Gender : F, City : Cedar Rapids, State : IA Country : United States, 

Kris
    I stutter. Mine is comparatively mild and usually only kicks in when I'm nervous, which is a real pain if I have to speak publicly because it makes me sound like an idiot. I can't vouch for all stutterers, but I prefer it if people finish a sentence for me if I can't do it. For whatever reason, if I get caught on a word, I can immediately say it right if someone else says it first. I have no idea why that happens, but whatever mental block I have is removed as soon as I hear the word spoken. I never consider it rude, I consider it a great help.

User Detail :  

Name : Kris, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : stutter, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 24, City : Williamsburg, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Law Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mike
    Participant
    Some people walk slower. Some think slower. Stutterers simply talk slower. As a stutterer, I resent when someone tries to finish my thoughts. They rarely are completely correct. If I'm wasting your time, sorry about that - I didn't know you had a bus to catch.

User Detail :  

Name : Mike, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : stutter, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 53, City : Danville, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.