Lice-less black people?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)
  • Author

ashley23523
    Participant
    Yes i think that is true I heard the same thing. I heard because of what we used in our hair, it hard to contract lice

User Detail :  

Name : ashley23523, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 18, City : upper darby, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, 

Kyle-Moore
    Participant
    You hit the bull's eye. What you wrote is exactly correct. Lice in the United States adapted to gringos cannot grab onto the black American's hair. And the case in Africa is indeed contrary. Gringo missionaries over there don't have to worry about getting the pest because their hairs are just too round.

User Detail :  

Name : Kyle-Moore, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 15, City : Spring, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Restauarant, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Mister O
    Participant
    It would be nice if all people could be free of parasites. But, like all people, Black people are susceptible to all parasites that will feed from the human body. Most things that are generally true for the human race are equally true for all of its peoples.

User Detail :  

Name : Mister O, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 32, City : Albuquerque, State : NM Country : United States, Occupation : Accountant, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

R Hunt
    Think that was a very intelligent and adult response.

User Detail :  

Name : R Hunt, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 59, City : Lake Placid, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Sales, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

LaTriece
    When I was growing up I heard that black people could not get head lice. I was told that the hair products (i.e., oils) that we use in our hair prevent lice from living and being able to lay eggs. I don't know if this is true.

User Detail :  

Name : LaTriece, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 31, City : Pittsburgh, State : PA Country : United States, 

Kathleen
    Its true that black people don't get head lice. It has something to do with the nature of our hair. I dont know what exactly though.

User Detail :  

Name : Kathleen, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 21, City : New Orleans, State : LA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Sheila
    Participant
    Black people can get head lice just like white people. The reason why a lot do not is because of the hair products they use. I was once a jailer, and the inmates would grease their hair in order not to get lice. Lice can't attach themselves to greased hair.

User Detail :  

Name : Sheila, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, 

Lyonside
    Participant
    Just wanted to add that it is true - hair lice is specifically adapted to cling to straighter hair, typically found on people of European descent (among others). The kinkiness of typical African hair is what keeps lice from clinging.

User Detail :  

Name : Lyonside, Gender : F, Race : biracial: African-American, European-American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 27, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Environmental Scientist, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

James W.
    I've definitely seen head lice on black people.

User Detail :  

Name : James W., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 66, City : Raleigh, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Retired Computer Consultant, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Yvette
    Participant
    I too have heard that it is the products that black people use in our hair that keeps us from getting lice.

User Detail :  

Name : Yvette, Gender : F, City : Asheville, State : NC Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Andre-B
    Participant
    I'm not entirely sure why, but i grew up in a school that performed Lice-Checks on the students in grades K-5 and never have any black people been checked on the basis that blacks can't get lice.

User Detail :  

Name : Andre-B, City : Monterey, State : CA Country : United States, 

marty22172
    Participant
    There are 2 main reasons that black people tend not to get lice - we can get them. most black people have very course, thick hair. It is next to impossible for lice to move around in, and completely impossible for them to lay eggs in. the other reason is the difference in the oils that our hair produce. Many Black people don't wash thier hair daily, instead many was from every other day to every few months. Daily washing causes damage to our hair, so their tends to be an oil build-up that makes matters worse for lice. there are some exceptions - some black people have very fine hair, and yes they can get lice. also some people who have pressed hair can get lice as well.

User Detail :  

Name : marty22172, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 26, City : raleigh, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : computer geek, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Larisa
    Nope! We don't get lice. I think it is something only people whith naturally straight hair get. I remember as a kid, my mom telling me not to put my head on white people's pillows if I slept over because I could get lice, and her carefully inspecting my head when I would come home. Like the first respondent, I too have read that it has to do with our hair being very curly. So Black hair is a good thing to have! No Lice!!!

User Detail :  

Name : Larisa, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 34, City : Glendale, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Executive, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Rachel
    I'm not sure if it is impossible for black people to get lice, but lice is generally attracted to light colored hair.

User Detail :  

Name : Rachel, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 23, City : Smyrna, State : GA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Janette
    Participant
    The reason black's don't get lice is due to the fact that we have to have grease in our hair, lice can't live in grease.

User Detail :  

Name : Janette, City : Niles, State : MI Country : United States, 
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.