Lice-less black people?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • Author

Barbara J
    Participant
    Black people do get head lice. I have black children and their nursery school was predominently white. Even though my kids had sleep overs with the white kids, my kids never got lice, which was rampant in the nursery school. The nursery school teacher had this explanation: Lice burrow into the hair follicle and hair follicles have different shapes (curly vs. straight). Once lice take on that shape, they don't tranfer to the other shape. Don't know if this is really true. But that's what I was told.

User Detail :  

Name : Barbara J, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, City : Phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Barbara-N
    Participant
    Is it true that black people do not get head lice? A teacher told me they do not. Lucky people!

User Detail :  

Name : Barbara-N, Gender : F, City : Fort Worth, State : TX Country : United States, 

James-M
    Participant
    Not true - black people exposed to lice(this has to be extemely close proximity) will get lice.

User Detail :  

Name : James-M, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, 

LJackson
    Participant
    That is NOT true....anyone can get lice, it has nothing to do with race...Your teacher might of said that b/c of the different hair textures, but it is simply not true

User Detail :  

Name : LJackson, City : New Orleans, State : LA Country : United States, 

mia20631
    Participant
    I am Black and I never had lice. I was even around someone who had lice and still didn't get it.Black hair is very unique.No one in my family has ever had lice neither. I think that lice can't dwell in African american hair. The hair grease theory is all wrong because I did the hair of a Mexican girl who had lice and she had tons of grease in her hair, but the lice never vanished. I don't mean to be offensive, but I think that lice only lives in naturally straight haired individuals.

User Detail :  

Name : mia20631, City : orlando, State : FL Country : United States, 

D.C.
    YES, IT IS TRUE THAT WE DO NOT AND CANNOT GET LICE. IT IS BECAUSE THE LITTLE VARMITS DONT LIKE THE OILS THAT WE PUT IN OUR HAIR.....LUCKY! LICE CAN'T LIVE IN OUR HEADS. I JUST LEARNED THIS MYSELF, BUT NO WONDER I WAS SO SHOCKED WHEN I HEARD THAT PEOPLE HAVE THEM IN THEIR HEADS.

User Detail :  

Name : D.C., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 38, City : CHARLOTTE, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : SOCIAL WORKER, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Adele
    Participant
    It is rare we develope head lice, our hair does not hold in oils and also due to our texture of hair which inhibits lice from attaching to the root.

User Detail :  

Name : Adele, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 42, City : PhiladelphiA, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Patrice-R
    Participant
    I'm twenty-nine years old and have gone to both mostly white schools and mostly black schools. I have yet to hear of a black person who had head lice. I don't know why this is. I heard someone say once that it may be what we put into hair (relaxers, straightening combs, and other styling agents) that doesn't make it an attractive environment for head lice. I don't know how true this is though.

User Detail :  

Name : Patrice-R, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 29, City : Birmingham, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : Accountant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

b23456
    Participant
    its not that we don't get head lice....it's that most black people use hair grease

User Detail :  

Name : b23456, City : hbg, State : PA Country : United States, 

Anonymous23736
    Participant
    Hello Barbara, Being a black person I can tell you that black people do indeed get head lice (it would be nice if we didn't though).

User Detail :  

Name : Anonymous23736, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, City : Anon, State : NA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Lynn-H22495
    Participant
    It's true, Barbara. Generally speaking, we tend to lubricate our hair and scalp with various hair lotions, creams and pomades because the vast majority of us have dry hair. Lice can't thrive in that environment. I hope this answers your question!

User Detail :  

Name : Lynn-H22495, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, City : Louisville, State : KY Country : United States, Occupation : Nurse, 

T Smith
    Participant
    Yes it is true that black people do not get head lice.. for the simple fact that black people put oils in there hair the lice-mite would not be able to live...

User Detail :  

Name : T Smith, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 40, City : MAYSLANDING, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : computers, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

dena25823
    Participant
    Since we have have very brittle, dry hair we use a lot of moisturizers that are thicker than ones other races may use. I've heard that lice don't like those thicker products.

User Detail :  

Name : dena25823, City : Fairfax, State : VA Country : United States, 

Dianna Wallace
    Participant
    the reason black people get less casses of head lice than others is becuase black people put more chemicals in there hair daily and dont wash the natural oils out every day. while most white people wash there hair daily and dont put much in there hair besides a lil moose. All the chemicals that black people have in there head make it harder for lice to survive while a nice chemical free head of hair is ideal for lice to feed and lay eggs. but some black people do get lice if they dont take care of ther hair properly or just dont put any oils or chemicals in there hair.

User Detail :  

Name : Dianna Wallace, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 19, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : college student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

TP27581
    Participant
    No black people do not get lice. Due to the products that they have in their hair, such as grease, and gel products. The lice would suffocate. This response was given to me by my science teacher which was white.

User Detail :  

Name : TP27581, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 28, City : RAEFORD, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : MILITARY, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.