Lice-less black people?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author

Lisa22741
    Participant
    Lice evolved to cling to a certain type of hair shaft. I've heard that head lice do exist that get on black people but have yet to encounter or read about such cases. To be honest, I'd never heard of people getting head lice until my child was in a multiethnic day care center. I'm so glad we don't get them, it seems pretty gross.

User Detail :  

Name : Lisa22741, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, 

mjt
    Participant
    Anyone who comes in close contact with someone who already has head lice , contaminated clothing, and other belongings is at risk for getting head lice. Preschool and elementary-age children, 3-10, and their families are infested most often. Girls get head lice more often than boys, women more than men. In the United States, African-Americans rarely get head lice. http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/headlice/factsht_head_lice.htm

User Detail :  

Name : mjt, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 42, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

ron
    one of the main reasons that black don't get lice is because of the products we put on our hair to keep it from drying out. things like oil-sheen ect...

User Detail :  

Name : ron, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 38, City : denison, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : technical, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Jess-V
    Participant
    I heard it's because black people have more natural oils in their hair than white people, and the lice prefer dryer hair found on white people.

User Detail :  

Name : Jess-V, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 16, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Eugene
    Participant
    They are susceptible to lice just like everyone else. Refer the late Bob Marley.

User Detail :  

Name : Eugene, City : Johannesburg, State : NA Country : South Africa, 

blossom
    Participant
    i dunno how tru t is, but i heard that lice dont infest balck people's hair nearly as much as they do white people's, because they wash their hair more than we do and so lice find it easier to move around in.

User Detail :  

Name : blossom, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 21, City : nassau, State : NA Country : bahamas, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jessica G.
    Participant
    I grew up babysitting a black girl, and when I had to warn her mom about my sisters head lice, she told me not to worry about it. I asked why and she said 'blacks don't get it, because our hair is nautally oily and it suffocates the lice.' I don't know if thats true or a myth, but it is what I have been told and I have never known a black person who got lice.

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica G., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 24, City : Greenville, State : SC Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Kit
    Yepyep. We don't. I think it has something to do with the oilyness of hair. Perhaps our hair is too oily for them to get a good grip and lay their eggs?

User Detail :  

Name : Kit, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : Evanston, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Soffia
    Participant
    But I can say black haircare products play a crucial role. We use petroleum based hair dressings- hair oils, pomades, bergamonts. We oil our scalp & hair because its very dry & prone to breakage. We in affect are immune to lice for that reason. There was actually a report in a magazine (white) a while back that stated, good old fashioned Vaseline was a more effective treatment for lice than all those costly Rid-type products I see on the shelves & on TV. It involved smothering the child's hair with it & covering with a shower cap overnight. Within 48 hrs, most of the lice was gone- it sufficated them. My mother was a teacher & she could confirm, there were black children with lice. But they tended to be ill groomed.

User Detail :  

Name : Soffia, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 30s, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

tyrone
    lice do not like the products we use on our hair.

User Detail :  

Name : tyrone, Gender : M, Age : 39, City : washington, dc, State : DC Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Will24454
    Participant
    A article in Time magazine stated that there are several species of lice. Each species is adapted to the specific region from which they are from, i.e. Africa, Europe etc. They have different pinchers to grab on to either coarse hair (black) or fine hair (white).

User Detail :  

Name : Will24454, Gender : M, City : Orange Park, State : FL Country : United States, 

Rachel
    Participant
    It's a myth. Black people can (and do) get lice. Thing is...lice cannot survive in oils. Blacks who use heavy oils or greases in their hair have an immunity because of this. One the eggs cannot stay attached to a well-oiled hair shaft. Two, the legs of lice cannot properly grasp well-oiled hair. Three, the lice will not be able to breathe in heavy oils. (One of the treatments to rid a person of lice is to saturate the hair in oil and cover it with a shower cap....the lice suffocate and the eggs will be released from the hair shaft.) Blacks who do not use moisturizers/grease/oils, etc., in their hair are MUCH more susceptible to getting lice. In black children who's hair is not well moisturized, you'll see lice. If their hair is not moisturized and left to be dry -- they can get lice, and they can get the same lice as the white kids get.

User Detail :  

Name : Rachel, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 36, City : Niagara-on-the-Lake, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Homemaker, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

VB19514
    Participant
    It is because black people have less oily hair and we have to add products to it. The oil in your hair attracts the lice. On the other hand, pubic lice are universal - black people as well as white get them.

User Detail :  

Name : VB19514, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 30, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : nurse, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Jt
    Participant
    Kinda true.. depends on the hair style I had it once while wearing braids. if you were a louse would you want to live in grease and get frequent burns due to pressing combs or blow driers? Or does relaxer.. that happenes to smell like nair hair remover.. sound better?

User Detail :  

Name : Jt, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 33, City : long beach, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Kim
    Participant
    I believe it's because of the oils that we put in our hair. Some Africans in Africa get lice.

User Detail :  

Name : Kim, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Presbyterian, Age : 37, City : Douglasville, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : stay at home mom, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.