Children using profanity toward parents

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 65 total)
  • Author

Melissa
    Participant
    I think white children are much more disciplined than black children. The majority of black kids I see are rude to adults, loud, obnoxious, curse and recite rap lyrics, which I think no one should listen to. And every time I see a black mother talking to her child, she's cursing at them, i.e. 'Get yo' a** over here' and 'What the fu** is wrong wi' chew?'

User Detail :  

Name : Melissa, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : Antioch, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Jay31312
    Participant
    My parents are pretty liberal and didn't mind me using profanity in front of them - they didn't think it was such a big deal. They were more concerned about teaching me to read, write, have manners and be a productive, law-abiding citizen.

User Detail :  

Name : Jay31312, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Emily
    Participant
    I think it's terribly disrespectful to use profanity in front of any authority figures, much less one's parents. I think the problem is that children don't know enough at that age (5 years old) to be able to really tell what's right from wrong. I once babysat for a family and heard a 10-year-old say the word 'crap.' When I reacted, the parents told me he was going to say it anyway, and there was nothing they could do about it - which I didn't agree with. My parents taught me well enough that I rarely use swear words, even in front of people my own age. If a parent thought there was something they could do to stop a child from cursing, they would do it. I think most of these parents believe it's a lost cause.

User Detail :  

Name : Emily, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Unitarian, Age : 16, City : Rockland, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : High School Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Julie
    Participant
    I have a child and several nieces and nephews, and I do not allow profanity toward me or others. It is very disrespectful and inappropriate for any child to use such language. Most children use it because they pick it up from TV or hear it on the street. My child is 16 months old and has used the s-word several times. She doesn't know what it means, but heard it from my mother. I correct both of them each time - my child when she says it and my mom when she says it in front of children.

My sister allows her daughters to use all kinds of profanity because they think it is cute or funny, being so young. My niece Amanda gets called a bitch and 'ho' by her oldest son. He picked it up from music and other people. She laughs at him and calls him a bitch, and he is only 23 months. Then again, she is 19.

I hear children from all races talk this way toward their parents. You can't direct your question directly to white people, because parents from other races allow it, too.

User Detail :  

Name : Julie, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 21, City : Antioch, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : student/management, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 

Becky23304
    Participant
    I don't have children, but growing up as a white child, I was never allowed to use profanity toward my mother or father. I have seen white mothers sworn at, and I am unsure why they let their children do this. I would think it happens in any family, depending on how the parents treat the children.

User Detail :  

Name : Becky23304, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, City : Madison, State : WI Country : United States, 

Fatima
    Participant
    I don't understand it, either. They need to slap their tongues down their throats. It is disrespectful. My kids are 3 and 1, and they know mama and daddy don't play that.

User Detail :  

Name : Fatima, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 24, City : Twinsburg, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Trina24893
    Participant
    I have noticed some white children disrespecting their parents especially in public places. I also have friends of many different races who have direspected their parents at one time or another. Whether they chose to do it again is a different story. Some parents rule the house with respect. Their children don't disrespect them because they teach them respect. Some parents rule the house with fear. Which brings me to my question: Why do African Americans 'beat' their children? I have heard some of my friends say 'If I would of did that, I wouldn't of lived another day.' I have also watched comedy shows where they joke about this. I think if you do beat your children, they will respect you out of fear. Maybe white parents are afraid to discipline their children. My parents never hit me. I never used profanity toward my parents because they didn't use profanity.

User Detail :  

Name : Trina24893, Gender : F, Age : 21, City : Cleveland, State : OH Country : United States, 

John
    Participant
    I use profanity toward my mom because I just think it's a better way to communicate when I'm mad or upset. But trust me: we get our butt whooped.

User Detail :  

Name : John, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 15, City : Lexington, State : KY Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Stephanie
    Participant
    My 17-year-old son has cursed one time in his life. He was 3 and said 'farted' to announce what his father had done. After all those years, he has never said the first cross word, curse word or otherwise, to my husband or me. You can't judge an entire race by what is seen by some, or done by a few. We know God and try to live as though we do.

User Detail :  

Name : Stephanie, Gender : F, Religion : Methodist, Age : 43, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : RN, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Marie
    Participant
    I'm more than open to let my child say what they feel. However, I refuse to let my children talk to me in a manner that would disrespect me or my husband. I respect them and let them know it should be given in return. My 8-year-old has Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), and without her medicine I can tell a huge difference in her attitude. Without it she's more open to saying things without thinking. She's never cursed at me, and if she does, she knows I wouldn't take it.

User Detail :  

Name : Marie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 26, City : Westlake, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : Self Employeed, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Robert29733
    Participant
    My kids do not speak to me or anybody like that. I hope they don't behind my back. When I was a kid and my parents heard me talking to anyone like that, all you heard was 'whapppp' across the mouth or the head. If anyone is to blame, it is the parents for not disciplining their kids. It is not just white people, it is everyone. So let's put this kid-cussing to a stop. My children better not do it. They'll learn real quick.

User Detail :  

Name : Robert29733, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 30, City : Sarasota, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Grocery warehouse employee, Education level : High School Diploma, 

JE
    Participant
    I am not white, but I think they use profanity against their parents because they are spoiled and have gotten everything in life. When they can't get something, they curse.

User Detail :  

Name : JE, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, 

Muffin
    Participant
    I don't think it's just white children, it's pretty much all, because parents allow their children to disrespect them.

User Detail :  

Name : Muffin, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Jehovahs Witness, Age : 17, City : Savannah, State : GA Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Anna
    Participant
    When I was growing up, there was an unspoken understanding in my family that we children did not swear at our parents. And now, in early adulthood, I would still never dream of it, nor would my friends (most of whom are white). I regard it as more of an uneducated or lower-class thing. I also cannot believe that no black people let their children use profanity toward them.

User Detail :  

Name : Anna, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 19, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Erin
    Participant
    My parents would never have let me use inappropriate language or behavior around them or others, but especially around them. I have never had white friends or friends of any race who were disrespectful to their parents. I only know of one case with a child I used to babysit, and he treats his parents awful, and it is not because they are white. Some parents just let their children do this, regardless of their race. It just so happens that you may see it only coming from white individuals. I am positive it happens all over the world, by people of every ethnicity.

User Detail :  

Name : Erin, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 20, City : Anaheim, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : College Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.