Children using profanity toward parents

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 65 total)
  • Author

Marianne22237
    Participant
    I don't know which white people you know, but I grew up in a home where 'shut up' was considered profanity. We would never have dreamed to use profanity in front of our parents, let alone towards them. This is also the case with all of my nephews, nieces, and all of my friends. I do not know of anyone who considers this acceptable--white, black or otherwise.

User Detail :  

Name : Marianne22237, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 40, City : Cleveland, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Glenn
    The question 'Why do white people let their children use profanity toward them?', is confusing to me. I'm white, and 25 years old, and to this day, have NEVER spoken a single swear word to them, either out of anger or casual talking. I did it once as a very young child, just copying my father when he once got upset over his favorite team losing. After I repeated the word, I was rightly diciplined. I was NOT beat senseless, but spanked, and explained why that language (and the following words) were not acceptable. I never knew any of my white friends ever doing the same to their parents, even though we did create 'The Cursing Alphabet' on the school yard when the teachers weren't around.

User Detail :  

Name : Glenn, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 25, City : San Bernardino, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 

Peyton
    Participant
    Not all white people use profanity towards there parents. Its all types of people. For instance, my friend is Columbian and uses really horrible language around her mother. Its kind of sad.

User Detail :  

Name : Peyton, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 27, City : honolulu, State : HI Country : United States, Occupation : bar tender, 

Matt
    Participant
    Believe me, not every white family is this way. Not only did my parents consider profanity disrespectful, they had an absolutely zero tolerance policy towards it while I was growing up. I would consider parents allowing a 5 year old to use profanity to be an extreme lack of discipline.

User Detail :  

Name : Matt, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 25, City : Oxford, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Tina
    Participant
    The don't. I have never used profanity in front of my parents and some of my friends are the same way, although there are some as with any race.

User Detail :  

Name : Tina, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 21, City : Roseville, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Mommy, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Jason31262
    Participant
    Most of the white people I know wouldn't their children use profanity toward them. Some let them use profanity around them, but I don't know many parents who wouldn't get very upset if their children cussed at them

User Detail :  

Name : Jason31262, City : Dayton, State : OH Country : United States, 

Angel23951
    Participant
    Not all white people let their children swear at them. I've seen SOOOOOO many black famalies (in public) calling their children names, and vice-versa. What about all the blacks who live in the ghetto? They swear AND they dont use proper english.

User Detail :  

Name : Angel23951, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Cleveland, State : OH Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Kathy26656
    Participant
    Of course it is disrespectful and as a parent I would never tolerate such language being used toward me by my child. However, I don't think it is unique to white parents, as I have been at the mall and grocery stores etc. and heard plenty of black children using profane language toward their parents and the parents using it right back toward their children. I think it is how the parent speaks that sets the example for the child. If that's what you hear, that's what you say. As for is it just a way of expression...I think that people of all races who are uneducated and unable to express themselves with a large vocabulary are probably those who use profanity the most.

User Detail :  

Name : Kathy26656, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 50, City : Springfield, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Medical, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Lucy22387
    Participant
    While I have seen children using profanity to their parents, I have not noticed more white children using profanity to their parents than non-white children.

User Detail :  

Name : Lucy22387, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 28, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Susan27479
    Participant
    Based on my personal experience, I'm not surprised kids have foul mouths! Usually, I'm standing in line at a bank or store, and the parent is talking to a friend or spouse, regular conversation, not angry, and has to use the 'F' word in every sentence where you might use an adjective. No wonder parents don't care, their language is probably worse! by the way, I've seen all races of parents doing this.

User Detail :  

Name : Susan27479, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 37, City : Canoga Park, State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Sirene
    Participant
    I may not exactly be qualified to answer this question, but I highly doubt it is only Euro-Americans that let children use profanity toward them. People of all races let their children use profanity in their presence, and I don't think this question should be limited to only this ethnic group. Yes, I think it is extremely disrespectful when overused, but using profanity once in a while is often just a way of expression.

User Detail :  

Name : Sirene, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Agnostic, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Writer, Social class : Upper middle class, 

B.H.
    Participant
    I have seen black, Asian and Indian children do the same thing to their parents. It is disrespectful for a child to disobey their parents, but some parents choose to turn the other cheek.

User Detail :  

Name : B.H., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 31, City : Bowie, State : MD Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

ivana21243
    Participant
    I go to a very diverse school, and I know some white kids who swear at their parents, and some of their paretns don't care. I also know some white kids who would get thrashed half to death for doing it. The majority of my black friends act like their parents don't care, and they swear alot. Everyone said a swear word once...oh well. It is so dumb that people keep on thinking that white parents(and people in general) are total pushovers. They are not. I doubt any black people have seen an average middle class white family living together 24/7. They would be surprised.

User Detail :  

Name : ivana21243, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 13-18, City : lancaster, State : PA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Dave
    Participant
    It is disrespectful if there is no attempt to refrain. For some people, cursing is just part of their vernacular. That doesn't make it right, but it just makes it 'the way it is'. If I am speaking with someone who I know uses profanity extensively, and I see that they are trying not to curse but are falling short once in a while, I'm often not offended. They are trying to show respect, and perhaps their intentions are what should be judged. On the other hand, if it were my child talking this way to me, I'm not going to be as understanding. If it were my young child, we're going to have problems. If it is an older child, say over 21, certainly I'll let them know it's not OK.

Generally speaking, I have slipped a curse here or there in conversation with my folks. They were the types of slips that as the words leave your mouth, you are trying to take them back. But, of course, you can't. And my folks pointed out that it was unacceptable. As I get older, I try not to curse, and the problem has all but diminished. All in all, I have never cursed AT my folks. The proof is that I'm still here to talk about it.

User Detail :  

Name : Dave, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 34, City : Long Island, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Technical, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

M. Scanlon
    Participant
    Profanity usually occurs when parents don't instruct and demonstrate the difference between right and wrong. All too often the language is encouraged out of thoughts of 'cuteness.' This does seem to be a white problem, but it does occur in other races. Sometimes profanity in one's eyes isn't profanity in another's.

User Detail :  

Name : M. Scanlon, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 26, City : Burlison, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : Small Business Owner, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.