Andrew

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Bisexual’s boyfriend is nervous #31238

    Andrew
    Member

    It sounds to me like he’s got more of a trust problem than a sexuality problem. All I can suggest is that you give him no reason to distrust you. And if he still acts that way, I’d consider that a warning sign of possible possessiveness, which can be a real problem.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Andrew, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Huntington, State : NY, Country : United States, Occupation : Reporter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Littleton shootings: Why the big reaction? #34924

    Andrew
    Member

    I can’t speak for others. More than other school shootings, this one hit close to home for me because I recognized the surroundings. I grew up pretty much as an outcast in an affluent, clique-ridden, unfeeling high school. I totally identified with the shooters, and usually I find killers abhorrent, no matter what their motives are. And while this episode was just as appalling as the others before and since, I know what it feels like to be belittled for not being part of The Crowd. Evil is banal, but sometimes it’s easy to relate to banality. This time, that was the case for me.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Andrew, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Huntington, State : NY, Country : United States, Occupation : Reporter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: The “ignorant” American #34257

    Andrew
    Member

    The first is that Americans are self-involved, and that shows in our education. I learned hardly anything about foreign cultures through school, and I doubt things have changed much. The other reasons is that Americans travel less outside our own country. Europeans move throughout their own continent and overseas much more than Americans do. Travel is the best way to learn, and most Americans just don’t.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Andrew, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Huntington, State : NY, Country : United States, Occupation : Reporter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Police brutality #17314

    Andrew
    Member

    If you think a police officer acted improperly, you have a few options. You can contact the department’s internal affairs bureau. You can file a complaint with your county’s district attorney’s office or your state’s attorney general’s office. Or you can sue. Be aware, however, that brutality is a tough thing to prove.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Andrew, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Huntington, State : NY, Country : United States, Occupation : Reporter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Is there something wrong in American and Australia #33075

    Andrew
    Member

    I’ve lived in Australia and have family there, and I’m American. Obviously, there are racist elements in both of these countries, as there are in every country, and some small-minded people have a problem with Asians. But in general, I think the majority of Americans and Australians don’t have a problem with Asians. Indeed, in both countries Asians are among the most succesful immigrants.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Andrew, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Huntington, State : NY, Country : United States, Occupation : Reporter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: East Coast vs. West Coast #41832

    Andrew
    Member

    I’ve had the same experience. I grew up (and now live again) in the New York City area, but I’ve also lived in Australia, upstate New York and in Louisiana. Never had a problem connecting there with people. It was harder when I lived in San Francisco. I hate to generalize, but the sense I had was that Californians, particularly younger ones, were more about projecting an image of themselves than simply being themselves. I often felt like I had to get behind a mask to get to know people, and I haven’t had that experience anywhere else I’ve lived.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Andrew, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Huntington, State : NY, Country : United States, Occupation : Reporter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Bigger, faker and … better? #37687

    Andrew
    Member

    For me, just the opposite. Implants are fake – usually, they’re obviously fake – and what’s attractive about fake? That kind of self-mutilation turns me off in so many ways.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Andrew, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Huntington, State : NY, Country : United States, Occupation : Reporter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Separate but equal #30314

    Andrew
    Member

    A white-dominated Congress, city government, state legislature, if given the opportunity to have separate facilities for whites and others will never give equal resources to the non-white institutions. The evidence is easy to find if you look around. In cases where de facto separate institutions exist, compare whether black neighborhoods get their trash picked up as often, whether their roads are paved as often, whether their schools are funded as generously, etc. Minority neighborhoods and institutions get the short end of the stick even now, when ‘separate but equal’ is supposedly not the law. So imagine how much worse it would be if this type of pseudo-benign apartheid existed. And as for the idea that ‘most’ people of one race dislike another, I’d question the validity of that, as well.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Andrew, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Huntington, State : NY, Country : United States, Occupation : Reporter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Women: You Better Work! #19261

    Andrew
    Member

    First, staying at home with the children has never been recognized or valued as the all-consuming, frequently mind-numbing, non-stop job that it is – by either the conservative women-belong-at-home types or the more progressive types. My wife works two days a week – she sees it as her weekend – and we are constantly amazed by people who assume she will some day want to work (for pay) full-time and seem threatened by her choice not to do that. I think progressives are spooked by women who choose to abandon or slow their careers, and perhaps resent it on some level. As for conservatives, you’d think they’d be happy with your choice, but your views (or even the fact that you have any views) bug them. I wouldn’t worry about it.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Andrew, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Huntington, State : NY, Country : United States, Occupation : Reporter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Racism via education #20075

    Andrew
    Member

    Racism exists everywhere, no matter what the educational philosophy. And as bad as things are in this country, I don’t see any other country that’s doing any better. How many members of the German parliament are of Turkish ancestry? How many British MPs are of Indian, Pakistani or Jamaican ancestry? Are European attitudes toward Jews any more enlightened now than 60 years ago? For all America’s faults, American minorities are more likely to share power and wealth than minorities anywhere else in the world. As for the idea that the U.S. government is interested in keeping groups separate, that flies in the face of 30 years of active – and not totally successful – efforts to integrate schools.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Andrew, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Huntington, State : NY, Country : United States, Occupation : Reporter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Race vs. class #24813

    Andrew
    Member

    I think I identify more with people in similar circumstances than with people who look like me. I don’t feel anything in common with rich people. I find it easier to relate to people in a similar profession to mine, or to people with a similar level of education, or to those who have similar views or experiences. Generally, rich people aren’t like me.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Andrew, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Huntington, State : NY, Country : United States, Occupation : Reporter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Mormon customs … and food supply #46399

    Andrew
    Member

    Is there any particular reason the person who asked the question about Mormons is getting these smart-ass replies? All she wanted was some information and not, I’m presuming, these riffs that basically invite her to mind her own business.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Andrew, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Huntington, State : NY, Country : United States, Occupation : Reporter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Been to Detroit and back… #15994

    Andrew
    Member

    Reputations always lag several years behind reality, and Detroit’s current reputation is that of a bombed-out, Rust Belt hulk of a city. I think Cleveland’s reputation is turning around only now, but changes have been apparent there for years. Some people are still afraid to come to New York, even though on a per capita basis it’s safer than some suburbs. So don’t sweat it. If Detroit’s changed, people will figure it out sooner or later – but probably later.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Andrew, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Huntington, State : NY, Country : United States, Occupation : Reporter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Who does the cooking and cleaning? #44505

    Andrew
    Member

    I’d suggest that insisting that each person do half the cooking, half the cleaning, half of this and half of that is a recipe for disaster. Some people are better at – or less troubled by – different tasks. It’s OK if one of you cooks and one of you does all the laundry. In our house, we’ve sort of muddled to that conclusion. I work full time while my wife works part time, so she inevitably ends up doing more than I do around the house, especially during the week. She cleans more than I do. She gets things fixed that need fixing. She is with our kids more during the week. But I take care of all the bills. I do all the laundry. I do more kid stuff on the weekend. It wouldn’t work if we each had to do half of each individual task – better to split the tasks up. But do split them – if you end up doing most of everything while your partner does almost nothing, that’s no good.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Andrew, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Huntington, State : NY, Country : United States, Occupation : Reporter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Lesbian displays of affection #23068

    Andrew
    Member

    Every wedding ring, picture of one’s spouse or children at work, holding hands in public, dancing with someone of the opposite sex, etc. is an affirmation of straightness. Sorry if the lesbians dancing suggestively made you uncomfortable. If a man and a woman danced suggestively, which happens all the time (and even on TV!), I doubt you’d have even noticed.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Andrew, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Huntington, State : NY, Country : United States, Occupation : Reporter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 89 total)