Littleton shootings: Why the big reaction?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

TR27586
    Participant
    The senseless loss of human life is a terrible thing. The world would be in a truly sad state of affairs if something like the shootings in Colorado didn't affect the general population. The strong reaction of people shows that they care about others, and that they realise that a terrible tragedy has occurred.

User Detail :  

Name : TR27586, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Mormon, Age : 17, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, 

Emily
    Participant
    I was out of the country when the Littleton, Co., shootings occurred, and when I came back (beginning of May), it was still in the news every day, and a lot of people said it affected them personally. Why have people been affected so strongly by it?

User Detail :  

Name : Emily, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 18, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jacqueline-C20987
    Participant
    I have been thinking about the country's reaction to the Littleton shootings also. It got the attention of the entire country, including the president, who made a special speech about it. Immediately, legislators and senators where talking increased gun control laws. Schools across the country were talking about how to prevent violence in schools. Some schools began installing metal detectors. The thing that amazed me about this was that this is not the first school violence in this country. Some schools in the US have been plagued with violence for years. The difference between the Littleton shooting and the violence in other schools is that Littleton is a middle-class, predominantly white school. People are shocked when violence occurs in predominantly white areas, but they aren't phased by all off the violence going on in schools where the student body is predominantly not white.

User Detail :  

Name : Jacqueline-C20987, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 25, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Andrew
    Participant
    I can't speak for others. More than other school shootings, this one hit close to home for me because I recognized the surroundings. I grew up pretty much as an outcast in an affluent, clique-ridden, unfeeling high school. I totally identified with the shooters, and usually I find killers abhorrent, no matter what their motives are. And while this episode was just as appalling as the others before and since, I know what it feels like to be belittled for not being part of The Crowd. Evil is banal, but sometimes it's easy to relate to banality. This time, that was the case for me.

User Detail :  

Name : Andrew, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Huntington, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Reporter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Stacey C.
    Participant
    Dear Emily,I can tell you why I was so affected by the Littleton shootings. I am a mother of two teenaged sons. Both of my boys are good kids. The idea that they can't go to school without having to be afraid of getting shot is repulsive. My oldest son graduated last year (the year of the shootings) and I removed my youngest son from public school before the end of last year. If you don't have school aged kids (and I'm guessing that you don't) you cannot even imagine what it is like to send them away from the house every day and being left to wonder if they will get off the bus in the afternoon or if today is the day you get 'that' call from the school. I hope by the time you have school aged children that this is just a dreadful memory in our history.

User Detail :  

Name : Stacey C., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 42, City : Vernon, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : artist, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Patrick-Wood19912
    Participant
    The reason people react to this incident with such emotion is because they are sheep and victims of the hype created by mass media. People love blowing events such as this out of porportion. Events such as the Littleton shootings allows them to break away from the tedium of everyday existance.

User Detail :  

Name : Patrick-Wood19912, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 19, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Research Assistant, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.