East Coast vs. West Coast

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Susan
    Participant
    My husband and I have a contiunous argument over the differences between the people on the opposite coasts of America. He is from San Diego, I'm from Northern Virginia, and we met in Nashville. I moved from Virginia to New York City to Nashville and never felt out of place or that I couldn't easily make friends. But since I've moved to Southern California, I can't find a single person here who I truly enjoy and understand who isn't originally from back East. It's not that there are 'bad' people out here. It's just that I can't seem to find anything in common with them. Any similar experiences or ideas as to why I'm having this problem? Any solutions from other transplanted individuals?

User Detail :  

Name : Susan, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 23, City : San Diego, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : FT Student/Nanny, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Andrew
    Participant
    I've had the same experience. I grew up (and now live again) in the New York City area, but I've also lived in Australia, upstate New York and in Louisiana. Never had a problem connecting there with people. It was harder when I lived in San Francisco. I hate to generalize, but the sense I had was that Californians, particularly younger ones, were more about projecting an image of themselves than simply being themselves. I often felt like I had to get behind a mask to get to know people, and I haven't had that experience anywhere else I've lived.

User Detail :  

Name : Andrew, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Huntington, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Reporter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Anthony-J
    Participant
    Susan, I am from NY. and am currently living in SD. It is also my experience that the people here do not take kindly to strangers. I moved out here by myself and in 2 years have met 2 people that I think I can consider friends. It is funny because all the people I have ever met that are from somwhere else say the same thing.They talk about people being fake, and I have to agree. I also have experienced people yelling and cursing at me to go home.Being from NY it is easy to swallow but I want people to know that Cali. has a good reputation and I can't see how it got it.I am also tired of people trying to imitate my accent because they think its cool. Don't worry you are not alone. All the people from the east coast feel that way. We are here because we are faster then they are. Talk faster,walk faster, and work faster so it is easy for us to advance in a corporate setting. that is why I am here.

User Detail :  

Name : Anthony-J, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 23, City : San Diego, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

C-Jackson
    Participant
    You're right ... sort of. I found the same thing, only in the opposite direction. Coming from the West Coast, I can barely tolerate the hectic and competitive pace and stiff-collared ways of the East. And I, too, have a heckuva time finding friends I can relate to. Folks in the West are so much more laid-back and comfortable. (As for Nashville, now there's a city of false smiles and fake friendliness!) I suspect there are many subtle cultural differences, such as body language cues and manners of speech, that keep us from connecting. It is also isolating to be amid so many people who have not had similar exposure to the cultural settings you have. Regardless, it's certainly strange to see someone from 'the east' echoing my opinions in reverse! Wish I had some suggestions to offer. I'm just plodding along, hoping for a kindred soul to stumble eastward...

User Detail :  

Name : C-Jackson, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 40, City : Buffalo, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.