What if: your unborn child were gay?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author

David
    Participant
    If a there was a genetic test that showed that your unborn child would grow up to be homosexual, which would be the bigger sin - bringing a homosexual into the world, or having an abortion?

User Detail :  

Name : David, City : Tacoma, State : WA Country : United States, 

Allison31437
    Participant
    We are all born with 'flaws'. No one is perfect - genetically or otherwise. So which is worse - to give someone a chance to experience life that may not agree with society's specifications, or to kill an innocent being without giving it a chance at all? I say the latter. Simply being born is a miracle. How we live our adult lives is our own choice.

User Detail :  

Name : Allison31437, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 34, City : Solon, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Whitney
    Thou shalt not kill, David. First, I don't believe homosexuality has anything to do with genetics. I know straight people with one or more homosexual parents. Next, I just don't believe in abortions, so even if homosexuality was genetic, I believe that child has a right to life. It has the right to choice. And who in the world loves their child less just because they're gay? Love is unconditional.

User Detail :  

Name : Whitney, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 25, City : Tunica, State : MS Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Julya
    Participant
    The bigger sin is that there are people out there - and you are a classic example - who feel entitled to ask such a question.

User Detail :  

Name : Julya, Gender : F, City : Van, State : NA Country : Canada, 

Matt
    Participant
    I am a Christian who believes that both abortion and homosexual sex are wrong. I don't pretend to know what causes people to be homosexual or whether there is a gene that influences sexual orientation. But there is one thing I believe as a certainty here: No matter what your unborn child's sexual orientation, that child will grow up to commit plenty of sins. Bringing any sort of future sinner into the world isn't in and of itself a sin. I do not think a test for future behaviors would justify abortion.

User Detail :  

Name : Matt, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 25, City : Oxford, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ron29663
    Participant
    Which is a bigger sin? I don't think that either is a sin, individually. I am pro-choice (although I'm a male, so that doesn't really matter), and I'm a very open-minded straight guy. I think having an abortion based only on the sexual orientation of the child would be a sin.

User Detail :  

Name : Ron29663, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 29, City : Milpitas, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Ken-L
    Participant
    May I suggest that the idea that someone who's born homosexual is seen as sinful is as harmful an idea for the world as the Romans saying that left-handed people were born evil (we still use their word for left - sinister - to talk about evil). I'd say that the child is not going to be any more 'sinful' than another child, regardless of sexuality. I personally think it's none of our business talking about how 'unclean' or 'clean' someone is, because I believe God will deal with all of that. And the termination of a pregnancy is murder, in my book. So my answer is completely weighted that there's nothing wrong with giving birth to a child who is free to live whatever life comes his or her way. And to terminate that life before it's even begun really isn't right. (I like the way this question challenges presuppositions about this issue: the situation says that the child will grow up with same-sex feelings and somehow that's a sin, unless the parents decide to terminate the pregnancy - killing the child, also a sin.)

User Detail :  

Name : Ken-L, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 23, City : Southampton, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : research student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Steven
    Participant
    For Whitney: You should look up 'recessive trait' in a good genetics book. Of course a straight person can be born to a homosexual person, and vice versa. Have you never heard of a blue-eyed child of two brown-eyed parents? Any first-year biology student of genetics can tell you about that. Yes, homosexuality is genetic. And it is not limited to our species, either.

User Detail :  

Name : Steven, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 50, City : Alamo, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Erin25261
    Participant
    To the original poster: I hope you were joking when you asked your question (if you were, you've got some twisted sense of humor, mister!) I do not believe homosexuality is a sin. These people are just living their lives, without hurting anyone, and contributing to society just like you and I. They work and pay taxes, but our society is using every opportunity to point out that they are not accepted here (including the President, who should be EVERYONE's President, but whose actions clearly say it's not the case) - and I believe this is the real sin and injustice. In my opinion, what's happening in this country in regard to gays is a violation of their basic constitutional rights. One day, perhaps 10 years from now (I hope much sooner) we will look back and be embarrassed of how things were (the same way it's hard to believe now how blacks and Jews were treated throughout history). I applaud the mayor of San Francisco, and consider him a true hero - I hope he has started a revolution, a great movement that will spread throughout the country and will lead to some major changes in the area of gay rights. David: based on your post, I gather you are a religious person - how come most judgmental people I've encountered in my life are Christians (who theoretically are supposed to be loving and accepting (based on Jesus' preachings)? I am, frankly, shocked that people like you exist.

User Detail :  

Name : Erin25261, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 29, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Monica
    Participant
    That will never happen because Homosexuality is a CHOICE not a genetic disease or such.

User Detail :  

Name : Monica, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 25, City : Fort Worth, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Homemaker, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Georgia
    Homosexuality is not a sin!

User Detail :  

Name : Georgia, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : Human, Religion : Pagan, Age : 50, City : Springtown, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : nurse, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower middle class, 

NP20232
    Participant
    Let me Ask you this, If you knew that your child would die someday, be it anyday, would you have an abortion knowing that one fatal day it would die? See how irrelevant such thoughts are..

User Detail :  

Name : NP20232, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 17, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Brittany
    Participant
    Homosexuality is not genetic. Homosexuality is a choice. No one is born gay and if you picked up the Bible you would know these things. People who are lesbians and homosexuals made that decision to be that way. You cannot read a homogram and say aw yes this baby will be gay ma'am. No theres no way you can determine that. Genetics are usually affiliated with appearances and characteristics not sexual orientation. What is this world coming to?

User Detail :  

Name : Brittany, Gender : Female, Race : Black/African American, Age : 20, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Brittany19284
    Participant
    Homosexuality is not genetic. Homosexuality is a choice. No one is born gay and if you picked up the Bible you would know these things. People who are lesbians and homosexuals made that decision to be that way. You cannot read a homogram and say "Aw yes, this baby will be gay, ma'am." Genetics are usually affiliated with appearances and characteristics, not sexual orientation. What is this world coming to?

User Detail :  

Name : Brittany19284, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 15, City : Mitchellville, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : High School Student, Social class : Middle class, 

James D.
    Brittany is 15 years old, and young people like to see life as black or white. Teens tend to think they know everything. They don't. Religion in combination with youth can lead to a harsh and destructive attitude, and Brittany has tons of that. To answer her question, the world is slowly coming to the realization that people are entitled to live their lives as they choose, and every human being has the same human rights as every other, regardless of whether one religion or another disapproves. By the way, I agree with her in that I don't think homosexuality is genetic; I believe it is a function of the prenatal environment. To think it is a concious choice, however, is simply childish.

User Detail :  

Name : James D., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 47, City : Summit, State : NJ Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.