What if: your unborn child were gay?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • Author

Alma31455
    Participant
    Ok, Brittiany, when did you 'choose' to be hetrosexual??? And if you are going to quote the bible, why did you not make reference to those versus in Leviticus that say slavery is ok??? What is this world coming to??

User Detail :  

Name : Alma31455, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 50, City : Kempner, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

tor24188
    Participant
    To Brittany: I do not mean to attack your religion. But I do think that assuming details about genetics due to ones holy book is dangerous. Almost all scientists agree that we, as humans, are born with a sexual desire towards our own species. Something in the way our brains work arouses sexual attraction when we see an attractive member of the opposite sex. We do not learn this way of thinking, I'm sure that you yourself have experienced appreciating the apperance or manners of a handsome male even before someone told you about the finer details of human reproduction. 'Teaching' a person to feel the instinctive urge to make love to another person would require some lengthy and truly bizarre training. If our minds wasn't born with this programming, we would have no real incentive, apart from basic reproduction, to make love. If heterosexuality was purely a clinical, intellectual institution created by society or religion in order to ensure reproduction, the different cultures on earth would vary immensely. But in reality, in every culture throughout history, human sexuality has been largely the same. I think we agree on these basic facts. The interesting scientific bit is this: if a human female or male can be born with an instinctive desire towards the opposite sex, it would also be possible for her to be born with desire towards the same gender. It would also be possible for a female fetus to develop a male brain by accident. Genetics is immensely complicated. You would be amazed to see what hormones and genetic mutations can do to a child in the womb (children being born with certain personality traits, african american couple giving birth to a child that looks white, hermafrodites (persons who are both male or female, or no gender), and of course tragic cases of additional or missing limbs, mental illness and other disabilities.) Of course, all this is scientific, based on research and experiments. If you choose only to base your knowledge and views on sexuality on religious texts, it is another matter. In that case it's a question of spirituality which I think is very personal and cannot really be discussed like mundane matthers.

User Detail :  

Name : tor24188, Gender : M, Age : 25, City : næstved, State : NA Country : Denmark, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Leigh22847
    Participant
    I can't believe someone would even ask that question. Since when is being a homosexual a sin? I think having an abortion based on one's sexuality is the wrong thing.

User Detail :  

Name : Leigh22847, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Blind, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Margo
    Participant
    What makes you think homosexuality is a choice? Given the appalling prejudice and discrimination that homosexuals have suffered and continue to experience, why do you imagine anyone would make that choice? Many homosexuals have been brainwashed into thinking that there is something wrong with them, and suffer greatly before coming to terms with the fact that that is just the way they are, and no amount of wishing is going to change that. And (in light of what you say about the bible) do you seriously think that people 2000 to 4000 years ago, without the benefit of modern scientific or medical knowledge were in a position to say what is or is not a genetic trait? I was speaking to a neurosurgeon recently who was telling me about recent research which suggest that there may be a link between the level of stress experienced by a pregnant woman (whihc affects the hormones relesed into the womb) which can affect the unborn child. In early pregnancy this can affect he gender the child is born, leter in the baby's development it can cause the brain chemistry of a male to resemble that of a female (there are slight differences, apparently) It is far to early to make any comnnection with sexuality but if the mother's hormonal balance and brain chemistry can affect the gender of her child it is surely likely that gentic and environmental factors can also affect the much more fluid issue of a persons sexuality. In the final analysis, what on earth business is it of yours how anyone else expresses their sexuality?

User Detail :  

Name : Margo, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 27, City : Manchester, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : lawyer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Rick29894
    Participant
    Yes, what is this world coming to when 15-year-old girls lecture us on genetics and the predetermination of sexual attributes.

User Detail :  

Name : Rick29894, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 35, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Software Developement, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Lisa C.
    Participant
    We all live in a homophobic society. Having an abortion to prevent someone from growing up gay stems from many people's desire to eradicate, condemn or make invisible les/bi/gay/trans people. Some people take this sentiment to a more proactive level. A few of them killed Matthew Shepard, another assassinated Harvey Milk. While being gay is a hard life, so is being other kinds of minorities. I think gay people have a smaller chance of growing up to be bigots, so I'd have to say I would definitely have that baby and hope the genetic prediction is right!

User Detail :  

Name : Lisa C., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 18, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Alma31464
    Participant
    Please think about this; when did you make a CHOICE to be hetrosexual??? And if you made a CHOICE to be hetrosexual, that means you at least considered the option of being gay, how did it feel? Get real! Do you think I would CHOOSE a lifestyle that would ensure I would be beat half to death and left to die in a ditch? Because that is what happened to me. Come on now, I know you're smarter than this, THINK!!!

User Detail :  

Name : Alma31464, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 50, City : Kempner, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : governtment employee, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

L26185
    Participant
    I have to disagree with you about homosexuality being a choice. Since you're straight, you wouldn't really know how it feels. If you're gay, you're gay... one doesn't make a choice that way. Why would a person make such a choice when it'll only make it harder to 'fit in' with society? Also, genetics play a very important role in how a person acts. Please look into sources OTHER than only the bible. Scientific studies/reports on genetics and behaviors would be nice.

User Detail :  

Name : L26185, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : Asian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 17, City : San Francisco, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Tess24723
    Participant
    If its a choice, why can't I choose not to be?

User Detail :  

Name : Tess24723, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 20, City : Newark, State : DE Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Kyle26152
    Participant
    Brittany dear, on what date did you wake up and decide to be heterosexual?

User Detail :  

Name : Kyle26152, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 33, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Josh
    Participant
    After 35 years of living in this Oh so inclusive world I can honestly tell you from the depths of my heart I did not choose this as a way of 'being'. I did however choose many years ago to stop letting bible thumpers like you tell me how to feel about myself and I don't mind telling you I feel pretty damned good. That being said someone in this thread made a reference to something about ...'what's striking is someone like 'you' having the gaul to ask such a question'... I say to that, we really do kinda have to let them ask. I'd rather someone asked something here than go tie up some poor guy or girl to oh say a fence maybe and beat the answers out of them. Not trying to jump on you but if the questions shows at least some respect I don't usually mine people asking stuff.

User Detail :  

Name : Josh, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 35, City : Alexandria, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Internet, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Pieter
    dont ya think?

User Detail :  

Name : Pieter, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : I like houselhold objects including two mattresses, Disability : Not enough sex in cars, Race : Swedish/African American\Asain\ Illegal alien, Religion : Jelsafarian, Age : 86, City : Albequreque, State : CA Country : Chile, Occupation : we've been 86'ed, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Josh29128
    Participant
    I don't agree that it isn't genetic. That being said if you could tell that a child would 'turn out gay' and you aborted it you would SO be in the wrong. Why? Well I was raised Catholic and the Catholic church says Hate the sin love the sinner. You can be gay in the church you just can't DO anything gay (think Military!) Meaning how would you know that your gay child would not grow up and stay a virgin? No sin there. Just 'being' gay. I don't subscribe to that faith anymore but them's the rules as I understand them.

User Detail :  

Name : Josh29128, City : Alexandria, State : VA Country : United States, 

Andy
    Participant
    A choice? I think not. I made no more choice to be gay than you did to be straight. I'm male and have always been attracted only to males, from the beginning of my long-term memory. Besides, what kind of person would make a choice to live a lifestyle that is so frowned upon? Not very logical. It's not a political statement, I just want to live and love the only way that feels right to me.

User Detail :  

Name : Andy, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 23, City : Royal Oak, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

My Name
    Participant
    With the way our sociey condems gays/lesbians do you honestly believe that one would subject him/her self to such unjust treatment by choosing to be gay. People are born gay they don't choose to be gay. You can choose a career not sexual orientation. If it were a choice, gays/lesbians would surely take the easy way out.

User Detail :  

Name : My Name, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 28, City : NYC, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Network Admin., Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.