What do white people do

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author

Ben
    Participant
    Well, I don't think that we, as white people, have a culture different from what is considered Mainstream America. Also, many white people, myself included, do not know much of their ancestor's culture from Europe, nor do I really care. I'm an American. What my ancestors did is history, and unimportant in my daily life.

User Detail :  

Name : Ben, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 25, City : Morgantown, State : WV Country : United States, Occupation : salesperson, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Ken
    If you were to immerse someone in white culture, customs and traditions, what would you do? How do you teach a person to be white?

User Detail :  

Name : Ken, City : Hermosa Beach, State : CA Country : United States, 

Seymour
    Participant
    I have yet to read this book, but I think it might be what you are looking for: Learning to Be White: Money, Race, and God in America by Thandeka

User Detail :  

Name : Seymour, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 21, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

mick
    Participant
    What is white culture anyway? You can come from dozens of different cultures and still be considered 'white'. Perhaps you mean American culture.. but this is a very ambiguous term. American pop culture is a mix of many influences. It's a very generalized question.

User Detail :  

Name : mick, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 22, City : toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kesha26493
    Participant
    I don't think you can teach a Black person, or any other minority to be White. What are White folks customs and traditions? I could be a smart ass, and say start by teaching them how to dance off-beat, but I won't go there. If someone grew up in a prodominantly White area, they tend to hang out with more White folks, dress differently (however that may be) or whatever. And vice versa. Not knowing your race Ken (assuming you're a minority from the question), why on earth would someone want to be someone they are not? Think about it.

User Detail :  

Name : Kesha26493, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 26, City : Pittsburgh, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Computers, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jeff W.
    Participant
    I don't think you can teach someone to be 'white.' You can integrate them into the culture, and you can tell them how we act, and even get them to emulate the same actions/thought patterns. But they are their own person, especially if they weren't raise in the same 'white' culture. I personally would simply educate them about what are accepted things in the culture. And, assuming I know some about their culture, what is less accepted as a norm. Letting them learn as they go. 'The only way to learn is to try it for yourself.' Can't remember who said that.

User Detail :  

Name : Jeff W., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 19, City : Duncan, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Katie26703
    Participant
    What do you mean by 'white culture'? German culture? English culture? French culture? Do you want a specific region? Europe is quite big and very diverse.

User Detail :  

Name : Katie26703, Gender : F, Race : Asian, Age : 23, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Graduate Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Jordan
    Participant
    Put it this way, the white culture is the most dominant culture. Minority ones only stick out because they are minority. Things like accumilating money (capitalist way of living), hunting and fishing, entertainment, basically anything pertaining to the Euro-American culture stems from basically Whites creating culture throughout the modern western world.

User Detail :  

Name : Jordan, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 20, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Security/Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

ChgoSista32352
    Participant
    Ken, you get a million 'thumbs up' for this question!!! I will sit back and await the responses--they should be interesting! Aaahahahahahahaha!!!

User Detail :  

Name : ChgoSista32352, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 32, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, 

Jonathan-S
    Participant
    I really do not think that you can teach someone to be white. There are so many different types of people in each race. I know ghetto, alternative, gothic, preppy, gundge, raver, prep ghetto, and about anything else you can think of in every race. In todays american culture, you really cannot act like another race anymore. If you think talking proper, having everything including a nice car rich parents, ect., and crying if you cant have your own way is how white people act, come to my white 'ghetto' in Chicago. I bet you do not find two white people like that. There are only sterotypes now, no more norms.

User Detail :  

Name : Jonathan-S, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, 

Melissa
    Participant
    What do you mean how do you learn to act White? So beacuse we speak properly, wear clothes that fit, have goals to be successful, dont causs everytime we talk, arnt in gangs...Thats 'ACTING WHITE' NO ITS ACTING PROPER...

User Detail :  

Name : Melissa, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Deaf, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : Antioch, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

teeewalk
    Participant
    My mother-in-law (we are both white) asked me this question the other night: 'What does it mean to you to be white?' At first I was puzzled because I didn't have an instant answer. Then after thinking for a while I realized that I do not define my self solely as a white person. My self definition is not centered around my race. It is not centered around my sexuality. It is not centered around the fact that I am a smoker. The phrase 'white culture' is a misnomer - I am Irish in decent but I am an American. I respect freedom and I respect my fellow american's freedom no matter what they look like. As far as customs and traditions - those are passed down by families, not necessarily cultures. Even families within a culture have different customs and traditions. I personally just strive to abide by the law, work hard, continually educate myself, and be a good neighbor. I simply define my self as just a person in this world.

User Detail :  

Name : teeewalk, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Unitarian, Age : 33, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Web Designer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    nobody is 'white'-that is a lable on a sheet of paper you fill out or a way of a group of people to identify with others who look like them. within the 'white' race there are people from all over the world--so to answer your question you would have to go up to a 'white' person and emerse yourself in their culture not their color

User Detail :  

Name : Samantha Grabkowitz, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 19, City : queens, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Shannon
    Participant
    I personally don't believe you can teach someone to be color. You teach people to be nice and respectful to others and this doesn't depend on what color someone is.

User Detail :  

Name : Shannon, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 36, City : Birmingham, State : AL Country : United States, 

Samantha29423
    Participant
    I'm not trying to be offensive or rude but what exactly is 'white culture' are you talking about irish white people... italian white people?... germans? there is no 'white culture' and there is no way to teach a person to act 'white' because there isn't a certain way that 'white' people or any race in general acts. you act how you're family background acts... which is a nationality.... not a color.... please get this straight.

User Detail :  

Name : Samantha29423, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 16, City : Waterbury, State : CT Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.