What do white people do

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author

ashley23515
    Participant
    Not all white people are the same we have diffrent religions,familys,cultures,goals,friends and back rounds. Its not like were robots.Why are you trying to be white! Just be yourself!

User Detail :  

Name : ashley23515, Gender : F, City : miami, State : MI Country : United States, 

Mandy
    Participant
    The thing, is, there is no such thing as 'white' culture. So-called 'white' people are from many different geographical, historical, and religious backgrounds. If you just want an overview that covers several type of white people and their customs, I would suggest picking from the cultures of Great Britain, Ireland, Germany, France, or any other place where light-skinned skinny-butt people came from. If you're just going for American white culture, that's easy; watch TV, play video games, and eat a lot of unhealthy food! I'm just being a little facetious, I'm not really that jaded. Maybe you could find out what the most common country of ancestral origin is, for white people in your part of the country. Love, peace!

User Detail :  

Name : Mandy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Irish, German, Norwegian!, Religion : Catholic, Age : 25, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : clerical, student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jeff
    Participant
    That's a stereotype! White people have many different cultures, not just one big one! You shouldn't stereotype people! Racism is wrong! Okay, now that we got those typical kneejerk reactions out of the way, let's look at what you asked. Yes, there is a 'white' culture, just like there is a 'black' culture. There are a lot of black people who aren't a big part of black culture (Colin Powell is the most famous example), and there are a lot of white people that are WASPs in skin color only. But since you asked about the WASP culture, I'll try and break it down. It's almost just like 'normal life', as portrayed on TV. We don't wear white chinos and polo shirts with sweaters tied around our necks, and we don't call each other 'Bunnykins' and hang out at the Yacht club all day. We're just typical, neurotic, stressed-out people like everybody else. 'Friends' is more accurate than 'Frasier', and 'Seinfeld' is more accurate than both. 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' and 'The West Wing' are also extraordinarily white shows. I can't give you a point-by-point breakdown of white culture, but that's a good place to start. Honestly, the most effective way for minorities to fit in with whites doesn't involve listening to country music or talking about boats. It's speech patterns... Chris Rock did a routine talking about white reactions to the most popular black man ever, Colin Powell. White people (this is true) always describe him as 'well-spoken and articulate'. Rock wonders why, saying 'He's an educated man! What's he SUPPOSED to sound like?' Well, we tend to expect that black people will slur their speech and use tons of slang. I'm not trying to be racist... I'm trying to be truthful. We also expect Latinos to speak in 'spanglish', Asians in 'chinglish', etc. If you don't, you get instant bonus points from the Man. I'm assuming that you're a minority trying to improve your standing in the workplace or social arena. If I'm wrong, my apologies. Anyway, if you can speak proper English (more or less... nobody's perfect), if you have a positive attitude, and if you're competent at your job (assuming it's a career situation), you'll be well-liked and well-respected no matter who you are or what you look like (even if you like Ice Cube better than Garth Brooks). Hope that helps.

User Detail :  

Name : Jeff, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Southern Baptist, Age : 18, City : Surf City, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

valerie
    I think the answer is alot more complicated than the question and can't be answered in this forum. But foremost it is education, surroundings and expectations of the people who are closest to you. Hope that helps

User Detail :  

Name : valerie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Mormon, Age : 45, City : Ft. Lauderdale, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : sales, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
    I cannot comment on all white people. But I could tell you about the things that interest me and my wife, and if you practiced interest in these things then you might, I guess, be considered practicing white culture. Although this is a very weighted question, becuase I feel of course that the things that I do are not only white things, that black people could just as easily be found to enjoy them and even just as likely. Other than my job my day is filled with fixing up my house. My home is my investment so I work on it often. I improve it and paint it, and try and fix things in it without calling a repairman. The TV I watch reflects this hobby: HGTV, TLC...you know.. all the DIY shows. So consequently I like to talk to other homeowners about their houses. My wife and I enjoy evenings on the weekend spent with family or friends. We like to drink wine and have good conversation about current events. We particulary enjoy to hear other people's views. Sometimes we enjoy playing board games with our guests. My wife and I enjoy travel and other people's culture so we like to talk about this sort of thing with other people. I can't really think of anything that is specifically white. You would be just as likely to do these things as well. But if you are currently practicing 'black' traditions and they do not match these types of activities, then I guess you could make a change... My wife and I would probably hang out with you and your wife no matter if you were customarily black or white. I really do hope this helped but if you need more dialogue, feel free to email me. oh...I also excercise by going to the gym every morning and walking on.

User Detail :  

Name : Chris Baker, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 26, City : Summerville, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : Graphic Artist, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mike B.
    Participant
    You can't really teach a person to be white. It is something that they just have to learn on their own, but you can help them. One thing that is really important (if the person is someone who goes to school) is that at school, a white person knows their place in the crowd. As much as we hate to admit it, we do have cliques. Advice that you could give someone is that they really need to find their place, because it is really hard to fit in once groups of friends have been decided. Another thing that is a big culture thing is the celebration of the major holidays even if you aren't very religous. I am a strict Catholic but I have very many non-religous friends who still celebrate Christmas and Easter even if they don't believe in it for the most part. And remember, making a name for yourself is also very important (whether you be famous or infamous). It really defines your character and where you stand in life. Traditions aren't going to be very different from other races, as they differ from family to family. Over all white people tend to be very judgemental, but once you get let into their complex society of rules and obligations it becomes a very natural state of being.

User Detail :  

Name : Mike B., Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, City : St. Charles, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Mike B.
    Participant
    In response to your question, one can't really teach someone to be white. You just have to be immsersed into the culture and figure it out for yourself. However, you can give them some advice to help them. A big part in white people's culture is what group you fit into. As much as we hate to admit it, we do have cliques. Early on in school (or the work place depending on hold old the person immersed is) you find who you are and get a group of friends. The group's friends may change but on the whole that person will still fit into a particular category. Finding where you fit in is essential for 'white survival' because after a while people start to close off their groups and don't let to many foreigners in (I use that term loosely). Another big thing is who you are in the entire group of people. You really need to make a name for yourself, whether it be good or bad. Popularity goes both ways. As for traditions, they won't really be different in the aspect that they are different for each individual family. Holidays, such as Christmas, are still celebrated by most even if the family isn't very reiligous and the celebrations usually include a smaller group of more immediate family members. The best thing to do if someone from another background was immersed into white culture is to be yourself and hope for the best.

User Detail :  

Name : Mike B., Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, City : St. Charles, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.