Gay elementary teachers

Viewing 3 posts - 46 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author

Ray28690
    Participant
    I'm gay and am in my 16th year of my career. I've taught in both conservative and liberal areas and, with the exception of a couple awkward 'assumptions' by homophobes (I've had disparaging comments made to me about gays, with the parent not knowing that I am), I've not had any issues. I try and be myself--discreet but not closeted. I don't talk about my private life too much with my students. I have my own children (adopted) with my partner and I do refer to 'my family' when talking about the weekend, but that's it. If my 'wife' is referenced, I smile and either change the subject or simply say, 'my partner' and let them figure it out if they want. I think my parents appreciate a level of honesty and professionalism and having the chance to either talk with their kids about it or not. I think it would be inappropriate for any teacher to spend an inordinate amount of time talking about their husband/wife/girlfriend, so sexuality really has no bearing. Teaching mutual respect, honesty, critical thinking is what's best. Besides, if you're in place for a while, your reputation as a good teacher will supercede any gossip that will inevitably swirl around and if you have a good principal, he/she will stand behind you if a wingnut takes issue with your private life.

User Detail :  

Name : Ray28690, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, 
    Your orientation shouldn't be up for discussion in the classroom just as a heterosexual's orientation shouldn't be up for discussion in the classroom either. Orientation is an issue that has no business in the classroom except from an educational point of view: ie, there are various orientations, here's what they are. But a teacher's personal life should remain outside the classroom. With that said, however, there is a growing trend by some of the more fundamentalist Christians to ban gay teachers from elementary schools. This is due to their belief that being gay is a choice and that exposing young children to those who are openly gay may "convert" them to what they consider a sinful "lifestyle". (I've yet to have someone be able to define a gay or heterosexual lifestyle...) There is a

User Detail :  

Name : ShellyStrauss Rollison, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, Age : 49, City : New Alexandria, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Minister, writer, activist, CNA, draftsman, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

AmyM
    Participant
    I don't care. Be a good teacher, and a good person, and you will surpass many of the teachers out there. And you may get that toaster oven yet ;-) Be Kind, for everyone is fighting a great battle." -Plato

User Detail :  

Name : AmyM, Gender : Female, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 42, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 46 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.