Gay elementary teachers

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • Author

Anne T.
    Participant
    I have three children. I do not care about the sexual orientation of their teachers. My only concern is that their teachers can effectively teach them what they need to be taught academically.

User Detail :  

Name : Anne T., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Southern Baptist, Age : 34, City : St. Louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : IT, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Nikki
    Participant
    I have two little boys, ages 1 and 4. I would absolutely have no problem with a teacher being gay. Sexual orientation has no place in the classroom, either way, so I wouldn't care a whit. As long as the person is an effective teacher and is instilling a love of learning to my boys, I'm behind them no matter what.

User Detail :  

Name : Nikki, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Wiccan, Age : 31, City : Pittsburgh, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : SAHM, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 
    I would say that it depends on what part of the country you live in. Southern mentality says 'Hell No' Northern mentality says 'Hell yes'

User Detail :  

Name : Leslie Doolittle, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : American Indian, Religion : Native American, Age : 32, City : Durant, State : OK Country : United States, Occupation : political scientist, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Joan
    Participant
    Having been a middle school teacher for 32 years, I have taught with many gay teachers. One of my very good friends is a lesbian, and at one time she counted ten gay teachers in our building alone. I can tell you that sexual orientation was never an issue for the students or the parents. In fact, angry parents would sometimes accuse teachers of racism, even incompetence, but no one ever attacked a teacher over his/her sexual orientation.

User Detail :  

Name : Joan, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 56, City : Tucson, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : Teacher, retired, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Bryant
    Participant
    I don't have children, but I might someday. If I did have children, I would prefer them not to be taught by a homosexual because of my Christian beliefs. What you do on your own time is between you and God, but if you make it an issue in a school setting then maybe you should choose a different career. Yes, I live in a rural area. You might find more conventional attitudes in a large city. Good luck.

User Detail :  

Name : Bryant, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 32, City : eastern, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : Power Plant Operator, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Becky23301
    Participant
    Bill, I have a dear friend who is an amazing kindergarten teacher who also happens to be gay. He teaches in a suburb of Omaha. He's been in the district for three years and has no problems of yet, just as long as you are a good teacher and don't bring your sexual life into the classroom or school, I see no problem with it. Best of Luck!

User Detail :  

Name : Becky23301, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 22, City : Lincoln, State : NE Country : United States, Occupation : Elementary Education, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

jen
    Participant
    It depends on how 'out' you want to be. Do you want to be out to the kids? To their parents? I choose to be out to most of my co-workers, but not my students or their parents. I would like to be out to all of my co-workers (and I'm slowly working on that!) but I don't think I need to broadcast it to the parents. A big thank you to the open and supportive parents who have posted so far. But, even if you teach in the city, these parents will probably be a minority in your classroom. I work in the city, but kids get bussed in from more rural, conservative areas. It's not really a battle that I feel is necessary to pick right now. But,I find it's better to teach in a large city, because it's easier for me to exist comfortably here. Satisfaction in one's social/personal life greatly affects one's teaching. Good luck!

User Detail :  

Name : jen, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 26, City : seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

liz-m
    Participant
    I think that middle-school kids will be more judgemental about someone's sexual orientation. When in elementary school, my daughter had a gay male teacher and I never heard a word from her about it. Now, in 7th grade, she and her schoolmates 'know' a male teacher is gay. I have told her it doesn't matter, and she accepts that (her great-aunt is a lesbian and my daughter knows this). I think it might depend on the kids' ages, rather than parental acceptance.

User Detail :  

Name : liz-m, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Deaf, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 43, City : clinton, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : technologist in a hospital, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Darby27266
    Participant
    Bill - I am the parent of two daughters currently attending preschool, and I absolutely do not care about the sexual orientation of any of their teachers (nor do I know what it is, in most cases). I only care about what kind of teacher they are and how my children are benefiting from their teaching style and ability. I will say, however, that in my relatively small town community, it probably would be a problem with some parents, based on the closed-mindedness I encounter in all aspects of life. It's a shame, but something I wish you great luck in overcoming during your teaching career.

User Detail :  

Name : Darby27266, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 33, City : upstate, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Higher Education, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Laura W.
    In middle school, in New York City, I had an English teacher by the name of Mr. Moskowitz. I vaguely remember somebody mentioning 'gay' and his name in the same sentence - probably at a parent-teacher meeting. I did not know what gay meant then. I do remember having a difficult time with some English matter and him taking the time to help me out after school. He was a good teacher and his sexuality wasn't an issue (although in retrospect, I think he might have been a bit of a 'nellie'). I think the most important thing is that you're a good teacher...Sexual orientation of a teacher, in the school setting, specifically in the classroom, should not be a subject open to discussion. My straight teachers never talked about their sexuality.

User Detail :  

Name : Laura W., Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : San Francisco, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Jennifer19433
    Participant
    If I had Children I wouldn't have a problem if their teacher was gay as long as the teacher didn't publically kiss or 'makeout' with their boyfriends or girlfriends on school grounds, I feel the same way about the straight teachers as well. And I've had a few gay teachers and loved most of them. (for some unexplained reason) I believe they enjoy teaching more or they were better teachers. Also the gay teachers who teached in middle school were 'attacked' by the students so I don't think it is safe for gay teachers to teach middle school. but for the younger grades and the more mature grades its fine.

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer19433, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 20, City : Columbus, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

b26928
    Participant
    Dear Bill, I am indifferent as to whether a heterosexual or gay/lesbian teacher would be my children's teacher. What matters is who you are and how much you enjoy teaching. I hope that you will find the best possible opportunity to express your personality and joy! Good luck and best wishes, B

User Detail :  

Name : b26928, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 25, City : london, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : student, 

william25879
    Participant
    My question to you is, why must your elementary school students know you are gay? This is part of the problem I believe alot of heterosexuals have with homosexuals. There are laws about sexual harrasment, hostile work environment, etc. to regulate the behavior of people with regards to sexual content in the workplace. I don't make my sexual preferences known to my coworkers because it really has no bearing on my professional relationships. I would suggest to you that you not make your sexual lifestyle evident in an elementary school.

User Detail :  

Name : william25879, Gender : M, Age : 38, City : Camarillo, State : CA Country : Venezuela, Social class : Upper middle class, 
    It shouldn't make any difference at all. In my experience those parents who object are mostly concerned that their children will come to view glbt teachers as just acceptable, ordinary people, when the parents want the children to view homosexuality as a perverse, chosen 'lifestyle.' Yes, a few may confuse pedophilia with homosexuality, but for most it is simply the desire to mold their children's views to agree with their own. Teachers are often role models, so they fear a positive role model being gay. You would probably encounter more resistance than a lesbian would simply because men are more rare at the elementary school level.

User Detail :  

Name : Cindy Clardy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 55, City : Southfield, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Cost Estimator, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Danny Harbison
    Participant
    Actually I am a gay elementary school teacher. While in Atlanta, I never had a problem. However, now that I've moved to a small town in Alabama, we'll see.

User Detail :  

Name : Danny Harbison, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Asatru, Age : 41, City : Carbon Hill, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.