Gay elementary teachers

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • Author

Nita
    Participant
    I agree with the other responses that if you are a good teacher it does not matter what your sexual orientation is. However, I do not feel that it would be appropriate to openly flaunt homosexuality in front of impressionable young children. I certainly wouldn't want my son to believe that it is an acceptable lifestyle.

User Detail :  

Name : Nita, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 29, City : Jonesboro, State : AR Country : United States, Occupation : legal, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ember25351
    Participant
    I see no difference between a gay man teaching an elementary class with young boys and a straight man teaching an elementary class with young girls. As a young girl, I myself was not comfortable with male teachers, and as a result my parents tended to try to get me into classes taught by females. But I know other girls who felt differently. I'm not quite sure how that would translate into your position, I just thought this information might be relevant, so I put it down.

User Detail :  

Name : Ember25351, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, City : Phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, 

Dennis
    Participant
    I think the demographic composition of the people who visit the site skew the responses. While I agree with the comments, I suspect that the average American is somewhat less tolerant, on the one hand wrongly equating a different sexual orientation with pedophilia, or on the other, viewing it as somehow either 'contagious' or a learned behavior. Either of those perceptions or beliefs -- and I suspect that either or both are very common -- would lead to a much less reasoned response to the question.

User Detail :  

Name : Dennis, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 61, City : New Lenox, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Melody
    Participant
    Isn't Mary Kay Letourneau straight?

User Detail :  

Name : Melody, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 40, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Danny Harbison
    Participant
    I'm a gay elementary school teacher. It teach in Atlanta Georgia. I'm out of the closet to the faculty and to some parents, but not to my students. It's just not a subject I discuss with a ten year old. Kids however are not stupid. One of my classes once figured it out and told me it was okay. They told me that for a while they thought I was dating our coach but then figured I had better taste than that. Danny

User Detail :  

Name : Danny Harbison, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Asatru, Age : 40, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mary21982
    Participant
    I think in a lot of areas, a gay elementary teacher would have to live a careful life, and maybe have to prove him or herself more, but I think a good teacher with the interests of his/her pupils at heart would be accepted. Once we know someone personnally who is 'different', and have had a positive experience, we find it easier to accept other 'different' people. Good luck to you and your future pupils.

User Detail :  

Name : Mary21982, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Age : 58, City : rural, State : IA Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Patrick
    Participant
    I'm gay and taught high school and frankly I think a teachers sexual orientation should be left out of the classroom - especially elementary students. You are dealing with kids here and they need a chance to be kids and not worry about any kind of sex. I know a lot of teachers talk about 'teachable moments' etc but I think its a bunch of crap - they are just making excuses so they can bring it up. Having said that I know gay teachers all over the place. I student taught in a large city and there were a lot of gay teachers it just depends. Parents? As far as parents - I have never had a really bad experience with a parent...most are really good. If you do have a problem with a parent I seriously doubt it will be about your sexual orientation but about how their child is being treated, learning, the childs relationship with peers etc.

User Detail :  

Name : Patrick, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 26, City : Ames, State : IA Country : United States, Occupation : Grad Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

dean c.
    Participant
    i wrestled with the same feelings when i was an undergrad, bill. i discovered i was gay when i was in college in the middle of taking my elementary education coursework and had a hard time with it. here's a resource that may be of some guidance for you. it's a book by Kevin Jennings called *One Teacher in 10: Gay and lesbian educators tell their stories.* it looks at this topic through a variety of situations. some are negative, most are positive. you may find more perspective & encouragement there. i decided to complete my major, but to enter a different employment field. you may decide something completly different. good luck.

User Detail :  

Name : dean c., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : Black/African American, Age : 27, City : troy, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : desktop publishing, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Diamond25728
    Participant
    Your sexual orientation is no one's business when you are doing your job. However, I would caution you that some parents, especially of sons, would probably be hesistant or concerned because they would not want their son to 'act gay' if you are particularly feminine. I think as long as you teach your children and don't make it an issue (just as a straight teacher should not make it an issue of who they sleep with) you'll be just fine.

User Detail :  

Name : Diamond25728, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, City : West Palm Beach, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jen
    Participant
    My partner has taught in an elementary, middle and high school. On one side, she has had no problems from parents, students, colleagues or administration. On the other side, her sexual orientation is neither apparent nor brought up... period. The question of sexual orientation only comes up when inquisitive students ask about whether she's married and personal questions of that nature, which she deftly dodges with a quick 'I'm not going to be one of the questions asked on the SAT' kind of response. We are located in Atlanta, so I'm not sure of any difference between a large or small population.

User Detail :  

Name : Jen, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 31, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Rasheid
    Participant
    It only ever really be a problem if you had some sort of horrendous lisp or other mannerism that got in the way of your teaching.

User Detail :  

Name : Rasheid, City : Boothwyn, State : PA Country : United States, 

Tressa
    I am a happily married mother of a 4 year old girl. My husband and I have wrestled with the idea of sending our child to a private school for this very reason. We want her exposed to our beliefs and convictions. Althought we do not encourage discrimination, homosexuality is not something we as a Christian family promote. Our beliefs encourage us to accept all people. But by the same token, we choose to surround ourselves with people who share our values, not only for our sakes, but also for the sake of our child. None of this is said out of prejudice. Please do not misunderstand me. My concern, however, is not for your feelings; it is for the soul of my child. My Christian Bible teaches us forgiveness and acceptance of all, but it also teaches us that God struck down entire cities because of homosexuality and other ungodly behaviors.

User Detail :  

Name : Tressa, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 30, City : Ragley, State : LA Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

James21089
    Participant
    I wouldn't have a problem with it, but it wouldn't do to have a super-gay male teacher for young children. I think most parents, in most suburban and rural areas of the country, would outright revolt if the teacher was sashaying around with a boa and a lisp. In all seriousness, there are different levels of maculinity, femininity, etc. And while the ranges of those may include superjock P.E. teacher as opposed to superwimp algebra teacher, the underlying sexuality is not present, which is the true source of the above referenced uncomfortable feelings. Proceed with caution.

User Detail :  

Name : James21089, Gender : M, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, 

Shani-G
    Participant
    I do not care what your sexual preference is as long as you wouldn't try to push it on my kids. As long as you are a good teacher I couldn't care less what you do outside the class. Teaching in a city it might be more acceptable than in a smaller town because the people would be more open-minded.

User Detail :  

Name : Shani-G, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 19, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Sydney Stein
    Participant
    Sadly, a lot of people prefer to stick with what they want to believe, ignoring the facts. FBI Crime statistics show that over 95% of people who sexually abuse children are heterosexual, most are married and with children of their own. Based on those statistics, maybe it's not gay teachers we should be worried about being around our kids.

User Detail :  

Name : Sydney Stein, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Disability : Chronic headaches, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Unity School of Christianity, Age : 47, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Canine Masseuse, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.