Fearful whites

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    I am a young, white female and having lived in LA and currently Houston - 2 cities with a high population, ethnic diversity, and crime rate - I can say that this happens out of where one lives and its society and/or personal experience. I have bi-racial cousins that I love more than life and am completely against any kind of racism - acts, hate crimes or negative words. But also I was robbed at work recently by 3 large black men that held a gun pressed to my forehead for 15 minutes and then beat me over the head with it until I went unconcsious for $200. So from my EXPERIENCE I am more careful and apt to holding my purse closer to me when a large black man approaches me at work or is following me in a parking lot. About locking doors - they get locked for fear of something getting stolen - not because there are black people that live in the neighborhood or are in the parking lot. To stereotype a bit - maybe it is the older white women that are doing this more obviously because they were raised 'back then.' But black women clutch their bags as well when a large white man walks into a conveinient store also. Perhapse I am contradicting myself but I believe that every situation and action is circumstantial.

User Detail :  

Name : Cyndy Miller, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 18, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Middle class, 

Heather
    I don't just grab my purse every time a black guy walks by. If I am alone and there aren't a lot of people around I grab my purse any time a guy walks by.. especially if they look suspicious (just hanging around watching things) It doesn't matter what color they are... but I admit that usually I don't do the same around women. As far as locking my car.... it only depends on where I am parked and if there is anything visible that might be stolen.

User Detail :  

Name : Heather, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : believe in a few different things, Age : 26, City : Turner, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Shannon
    Participant
    I lock my car door because it is a habit. Everyone pretty much locks their car doors. Not just white people. I don't clutch my purse either. I think that people who do are just naive and afraid. Little old women tend to do it.

User Detail :  

Name : Shannon, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Irish, Japanese, Age : 18, City : Lex. Park, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : College-Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Melissa
    Participant
    Its because of they way black people potray themselves, on t.v and movies..they show themselves to be ' hard core, ghetto, gangbangers,robbers, drug dealers'...and when we see that and go out in the streets and see that they act the same way, it scares us.

User Detail :  

Name : Melissa, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Deaf, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : Antioch, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Jordan
    Participant
    let me break it down for you 12 percent of all americans are black 60 percent of all violent crime is committed by black males answer you question

User Detail :  

Name : Jordan, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : dutch/american native, Religion : Christian, Age : 17, City : memphis, State : TN Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Corrin
    Participant
    I dont trust men of any color when Im alone in my car or walking by myself. Women should take these precautions every time; because when they dont they leave themselfs open for something bad to happen. It makes me very angry when men gets upset or looks at me weird when I lock my car door when they walk by. I dont dont know you and you could be a 'bad person'!! So please dont think its because your black. That is not it!!! And go tell your mom,wife and daughters when a strange man walks by and there alone LOCK THE DOOR

User Detail :  

Name : Corrin, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 24, City : Portland, State : OR Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

J.
    A LOT OF IT DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU LIVE. PERSONALLY WHERE I LIVE THERE IS STILL A LOT OF TENSION BETWEEN WHITES HISPANICS AND BLACKS. BLACKS HERE THINK THAT THE WORLD OWES THEM SOMETHING AND THAT THEY ARE SOOOOO OPPRESSED, THE SAME WITH HISPANICS. BUT IN MY OPINION WHITES ARE THE MINORITY AND WE ARE BEING OPPRESSED, AND DISCRIMINATED AGAINST MORE SO THAN ANY OTHER RACE HERE. AND BECAUSE OF THAT OTHER RACES HARBOR BAD FEELINGS TOWARDS US AND WE DO PICK UP ON THEIR ATTITUDE OR VIBE IF YOU WILL.

User Detail :  

Name : J., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 26, City : SAN ANGELO, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Miki20453
    Participant
    Us women do it out of security. We have to keep our children safe and make sure they don't get lost in the crowd. I don't think many women do it cause they are scared of a man walking by of any color, just to make sure their purses and children stay close to them. As for cars, everywhere around the world has thieves. Whether it's a man or a female. You lock your door no matter what. Not just of one race of people. Every race has bad people among them. You know? You don't want to go back to your car and notice your stuff missing, do you? I sure don't, so I lock my door.

User Detail :  

Name : Miki20453, City : St. Michael, State : MN Country : United States, 

Mango
    Participant
    Actually, I clutch items/lock doors when *anyone* aproches, be it a man or a woman. I think it also applies to any woman, not just white..but I wouldnt know that for sure :)

User Detail :  

Name : Mango, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Greek, Religion : Atheist, Age : 14, City : Portland, State : OR Country : United States, 

Amy
    Participant
    As a white female who lives alone,often runs errands and is out and about alone, I clutch my bag when any male walks near me. I do it more so when the male is younger looking but I don't single out a specific race. I know I can not out run a man, beat him up etc so it's really a protection/instinctual thing. Re: car doors everyone should really keep their doors locked at all times so no one can hop in.

User Detail :  

Name : Amy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 23, City : Buffalo, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Insurance, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Z. Michael
    A lot of these folks sound absolutely ridiculous. To the guy from New York, the guys who happen to give you crap are not what the majority of us are like. To Seamus from MA, why is it just 'bad encounters' with black men?

User Detail :  

Name : Z. Michael, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 19, City : Springfield, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Producer, 

sara
    I don't think that its just whit people, I think that if you are a young woman bye yourself and someone like a man passes you bye then you are deffentally gonna not just stand there and let them see you dangle your purse and not lock your doors because then your just askin to have something taken from you

User Detail :  

Name : sara, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 13, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
    I feel maybe just maybe it is the way black males have always been protraited in our society. We have always regarded them as criminals it goes back to slavery. we as Americans watch tv and see black males as gangsters, robbers,drug dealers and rapist, when studys show more married white males with 2.5 kids are rapist and kidnappers. I feel we put too much trust in our media and tv and dont look at the facts. We always respond to what we see in the movies and media and take it as facts.

User Detail :  

Name : Kimmy Smithes, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : St.Paul, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Olivia
    Participant
    The way you put your statement is as if all black men do this. To me, a person of any race could come up and steal from you. It has nothing to do with a person's race, smell or status. I honestly have to say that I have been mugged far too many times by white men than by black men. I have however noticed that people seem to point their fingers at an african american when they're robbed even if it was midnight and the attacker was covered from head to toe in black clothing.

User Detail :  

Name : Olivia, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 15, City : Wichita, State : KS Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, 

alex
    Participant
    You said it yourself: your white. so i seriously doubt the white people locking their doors will do it to a fellow white person. We can only try to understand how others feel, but we have to remember, we arent them.

User Detail :  

Name : alex, Gender : F, Race : *poweRpuFF greeN*, Age : 19, City : houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : *maDsCienTist*, 
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.