Fearful whites

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
  • Author

L26174
    Participant
    Why do white people lock their car doors and clutch their bags or purses when a black male passes by them?

User Detail :  

Name : L26174, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, City : New Castle, State : DE Country : United States, 

Katie
    Interesting question. Perhaps I'm naive, but I didn't think a lot of people did that any more. I'm white but don't lock my doors or clutch my purse, or anything else, when a black man goes by. Granted, I grew up in the Midwest, but I've traveled to other parts of the world, where everyone is different, but we are all essentialy the same.Color plays no part. I certainly don't live in a Utopian society, but do you really experience that on a consistent basis?

User Detail :  

Name : Katie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Mormon, Age : 35, City : Tooele, State : UT Country : United States, Occupation : Homemaker, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Gillian D.
    I lock my door and/or tighten my grip on my children/purse when a man of any color approaches me, and a lot of my friends feel the same. I knew a black man who was 6'4", 250 lbs. who was running through the parking lot of a shopping mall in the rain with the hood of his jacket pulled over his head. He almost ran right into a woman walking into the mall. When she recoiled in fear, he naturally assumed it was because he was black. When I pointed out that 1). he had his head covered, 2). he's enormous; and 3). this was a woman alone, he had to agree it was gender over color - in that instance, anyway. Many women are leary or outright afraid of strange men, regardless of their color.

User Detail :  

Name : Gillian D., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 39, City : Fallon, State : NV Country : United States, Occupation : administrative, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

monique20343
    Participant
    The question itself is so self-explanatory. It is based on stereotypes that white America believe about blacks, that we're all violent or and street thugs. Despite people saying they're not prejudiced they still believe in stereotypes and judge those based on them which is just as bad. Black males are seen as aggressive and as predators so it makes sense that whites would fear black males especially the ones who are vulnearable like women with children. This world is prejudice I don't care what anyone says.

User Detail :  

Name : monique20343, City : ft.myers, State : FL Country : United States, 

Carter32381
    Participant
    As you aren't even a black male, I really have to wonder how on earth you can justify such a ridiculous assumption. Why do people feel so comfortable revealing their tendencies to stereotype 'white people' as a group would be a much better question.

User Detail :  

Name : Carter32381, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, 

Matthew
    Participant
    I live in New York, and only black men get my instincts up. A lot of the time, it is their manners (or lack of) that scares me. Or they are poorly dressed, have bad hygiene or engage in aggressive talk. To be honest, I have only received crap on the streets from black guys, be it aggressive begging or just anger. So it is a self-preservation thing, i..e. just be ready, because you just never know what to expect.

User Detail :  

Name : Matthew, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 45, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, 
    Most white women do this because they have had it impressed into their minds from an early age that they are to fear black men, and that black men are out to get them. I find that annoying and insulting, but remember, it is not all white people, just the ignorant ones.

User Detail :  

Name : Savannah C., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 18, City : Beckley, State : WV Country : United States, Occupation : cashier, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Seamus28210
    Participant
    It's a combination of bad encounters with black males on the street and increased fear of crime because of social factors.

User Detail :  

Name : Seamus28210, Gender : M, Age : 23, City : Charlestown, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : construction, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 

Anne23842
    Participant
    I'm all for equality: I do the same when a white male passes by, as well.

User Detail :  

Name : Anne23842, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 19, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jay31283
    Participant
    Firstly, I don't fear anyone. Secondly, when I travel on the subway I hold my bag close for two reason 1) Its rude to have your bag sticking in someone elses ribcage, and 2) I don't want anything stolen. I think that AAs ALWAYS assume the worse of white folks - like we just go through life looking out for black people to rob/rape/mug us. Just the other day I was in a chinese takeout and put my money on the counter and sat down, but I realized that the counter person didn't see it just as the door opened (it was a very windy day) so i got up to catch it before it blew away. The person walking in was black and she made some comment under her breath about 'white folks thinking us black folks are all thieves'. Maybe the problem is AA stereotying white folks than vice versa.

User Detail :  

Name : Jay31283, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

K26919
    Participant
    Here's another possibility, at least regarding the car doors: Many newer cars automatically lock the doors, either when you put the car in gear or when you reach a certain speed. If you see someone driving and hear the doors lock, it could be that the car has done it all by itself. As a side note, this drives me nuts - I'M driving, I'll decide if I want the door locked!

User Detail :  

Name : K26919, Gender : F, City : Lansing, State : MI Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 
    I believe that the reason that white women or whoever would do that has a reason not to trust that person. I have never had any reason to not to trust a 'black' person, so therefore if a 'blackman' was to pass me on the street, i wouldnt be afraid and clutch my purse. Sure I have heard of stories when this has happend but I am the type of person that doesnt 'judge a book by it's cover' I know many 'black' people and they are all very kind and very funny.

User Detail :  

Name : Veronica johnson, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 15, City : vassalboro, State : ME Country : United States, Occupation : Dunkin Donuts, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Rachael
    Since I'm not from Canada, rather than the U.S., I cannot speak directly from experience, since Canada, while just as if not more diverse than the U.S., generally lacks 'black communites'. Because of this, I think that stereotypes of black people within our country are less severe than in the States. However, while it is unfortunate that white people in the U.S. feel threatened by black people, its not fair to blame them. I don't in any way agree with the stereotype that all black people are badasses, but it really does come across this way in the media, especially in the entertainment business. Pretty much all rappers today are black, and, likewise, most rappers today in fact do incessantly brag about 'hustlin' or doing drugs, or having sex with all their 'bitches'. The way black people in the hip-hop community project themselves to society is definitely negative. For the most part, they do nothing to try to come across as respectable people. Thats not to say they're bad people. In fact, I'm sure that many of them are good people, but when you go on TV promoting crime within rap, hip-hop videos etc, how can you expect white people to think of young black men as anything different? It is a fact that many white women do not grow up with black people, therefore don't realize the black man they see walking towards them is probably not a danger. But, can you blame young white women for being protective of themselves when all they hear from today's black youth is that they're from the streets and they stay ghetto? I can't.

User Detail :  

Name : Rachael, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 18, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Social class : Middle class, 

Cheryl32322
    Participant
    I did that the other day and on many other occasions also. This time it was because I couldn't fully see the man due to the garments he was wearing. He was black (I saw one hand) but it didn't really have anything to do with it. He looked large and menacing and I was scarred because of that. I always try to hide the fact that I'm checking my lock because if there are no ill intentions I don't want to offend anyone but it's always better safe then sorry.

User Detail :  

Name : Cheryl32322, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : I'm really not sure, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 25, City : Cincinnati, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

David25867
    Participant
    Well, this is clearly pre judging the threat from a stranger, and as a white person I judge the potential threat from young black males to be much higher than from any other category. I've looked this up to make sure I'm not using an inaccurate stereotype, but from what I've found young black males commit about nine times more violent crime than young white males, and men in general about 10 times more than women, so of course that woman is scared. Its only rational.

User Detail :  

Name : David25867, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 35, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : Architect, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.