Fearful whites

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • Author

Sara28335
    Participant
    As a woman living in our society (& hearing the news every day), I feel that all men are capable of crime or violence. Men are men, so I'm equally cautious of any race.

User Detail :  

Name : Sara28335, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 24, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Social class : Middle class, 

Luann22610
    Participant
    I would have to respond to this by saying it's not the black man that makes them lock the doors or clutch the purse. It's the manner of dress. If someone is approaching, white or black and they are dressed like a gang member, pimp, poor person or redneck, then the doors begin to lock. On the other hand, a white or black approaches and the dress is of a professional nature, or clean cut then they appear harmless. The way one walks and looks around is also taken into account. It's not a black/white thing but dress and mannerisms.

User Detail :  

Name : Luann22610, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 45, City : Jasper, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : CPA, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

P.
    Participant
    Matthew, I just wanted to say you are a straight up hypocrite.I saw you post something else on another topic concerning gay people. You went off on someone who was obviously making homophobic comments.You basically said they had no right to judge gay people and they should be more tolerant of others that are different. WHY AREN'T YOU DOING THAT???As someone who is a gay, African-American male I find your comments about black men disturbing. I do not have bad hygiene, engage in aggressive talk and I CERTAINLY do not dress badly!!!!Have you ever thought that maybe the reason why you are treated badly by some black men is because of the way you are treating them?? It could be your stereotypical approach.Someone who is gay should know how it is to be judged by society and shouldn't be quick to judge someone else.I cannot believe you have this attitude. It just boggles my mind. What is it with you and why do we have this problem of racism in the gay community?

User Detail :  

Name : P., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Non-Denominational, Age : 29, City : St. Louis, State : MO Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

student27729
    Participant
    I don't care if it is a black male or anybody walking by me, I always lock my door and clutch my purse. I even do it sometimes when I am not in public. I have always been taught that it can happen to anyone, anytime, so I am always aware. Anybody can steal my purse or my car, it doesn't matter what race they are. I just think it's a good precaution to always take.

User Detail :  

Name : student27729, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 21, City : warrensburg, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : bank teller, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Chuck D
    I think white people do things like that to let you know they are uncomfortable with your presence and basically don't like you - even though they don't know you.

User Detail :  

Name : Chuck D, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 32, City : Baltimore, State : MD Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, 
    Matt said: 'Or they are poorly dressed, have bad hygiene or engage in aggressive talk.'

Lie #1: Black men are poorly dressed. Black men in New York are some of the best-dressed men. From the brothers on Wall Street who wear beautifully tailored suits to the hip hop generation who wears FUBU, Sean Jean, etc., black men are almost always well dressed.

Lie #2: Unless you're talking about a homeless person, black men do not smell bad. On the contrary, not only do they smell fresh and clean, they wear good-smelling cologne and scents for men.

Lie #3: Black men are walking up to you in droves, engaging in aggressive talk. What are they saying to you that you consider aggressive? Or is it just that if a black man isn't shuffling, grinning, bowing, scraping and scratching his head and saying 'Yassuh, Boss,' then you perceive him as scary or threatening?

User Detail :  

Name : RhondaOutlaw, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 41, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Account Representative, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

TF24725
    Participant
    It's probably because 80 percent of armed robbers and thugs are black males. It's probably because 80 percent of people in prisons are black males. It's probably because 80 percent of the police sketches drawn are of black males. It's probably because 80 percent of surveillance tapes showing crimes in progress show black males. But hey, let's not stereotype.

User Detail :  

Name : TF24725, City : Flowery Branch, State : GA Country : United States, 

Brittany23065
    Participant
    If I am scared of a man on the street, it is because of what he is wearing, not his skin color. If I see a white or black guy with baggy pants and walking like a thug, I'll be scared. If I see a black guy in normal clothes, I'm not scared at all.

User Detail :  

Name : Brittany23065, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 19, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
    White women aren't 'clutching their purses' when they're bedding down with black men, so honestly, how 'scared' can they be?

User Detail :  

Name : RhondaOutlaw, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 41, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Account Representative, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mandy
    Participant
    It's a conditioned response to the ideas their parents put in their heads at a young age, er, something like that. I've never been ripped off by a black person, but I have been stolen from by other ethnic groups. I do think there are some young black men out there (in my personal experience) who get a kick out of trying to intimidate white women; maybe just because they can. I don't fear black men any more than I fear other men, but I do have to say that I am mildly annoyed when said men hoot, whistle and shout their innermost sexual thoughts at me while I'm walking down the city street; and no, this does not happen with men of other ethnic groups - unless construction workers count.

User Detail :  

Name : Mandy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Irish, German, Norwegian!, Religion : Catholic, Age : 25, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : clerical, student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Maggie
    Participant
    I only clench my purse or lock my doors when I feel threatened. If I am walking down the street and a guy gives me a threatening look or looks to be threatening, I will protect myself. Another way to respond to the question would be: According to statictics, 60 percent of the males in jail or prison are black males. I guess most women feel threatened by black males, who also tend to be much bigger and stronger than white males. Maybe it is only size that matters and not race?

User Detail :  

Name : Maggie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 20, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Nicole
    Participant
    On a societal level, black men have been and will always be negatively portrayed as criminals, drug dealers, robbers, and the list goes on. Because of these socially constructed ideas, it is hard for white people not to lock their doors or clutch onto their purses. Basically this is what whites have been taught to do because of the racial ideologies about black men. It is not white people's fault if they do it and then realize that they don't have to do it. It is their fault when they realize that they don't have to do it and continue to do it.

User Detail :  

Name : Nicole, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 22, City : Long Beach, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

CJ-Mitchell
    Participant
    In my opinion, white people doing this are clinging to the idea that one day we (blacks) will be eradicated from the earth, and that this is some sort of ritual they do to bring it to pass - clinging to their purses, car doors, children or whatever.

User Detail :  

Name : CJ-Mitchell, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Bahai Faith, Age : 40ish, City : Columbus, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : medical, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Zedster
    Cute last comment about not stereotyping. I'd like to know where you're getting this information from: jailers and officers themselves, or what you see on tv? Chances are, if you're getting this *obviously accurate* percentage of 80% from the latter, then it's way off. Media coverage of Black robbers is so skewed to peak people's interest and not about what's really true. (I'd recommend watching Bowling for Columbine to give you some idea of this). Putting on the news scary black men peaks the interest of white and other non black people. With the way the media goes at it, you'd really think that all Black people are crack-dealing criminals because that's all the news decided to cover. About the comment of more Blacks in prisons: I'd probably guess that there are more Blacks in prisons than Whites because they are the ones who are easier to catch and put behind bars. I mean, when as the last time you've heard of a White CEO stealing millions of dollars from a company and get thrown in jail? It's harder to throw your boss or someone with more power in jail than it is to throw a poor Black male in jail, don't you think?

User Detail :  

Name : Zedster, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 19, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

JessTsab
    Participant
    I came from a small town where there were like three black kids in my school. I never locked anything up, ever, nor did my parents. But I moved to a bigger city and it was overwhelming, the rate of crime. Im a police officer myself, and honestly...you wanna know why I think more black males end up in jail...its bc they always get on the defensive and usually think someone in trying to 'oppress the black man' when in reality, everyone does the same amount of wrong things, its just that blacks deal with it in a completly different manner, which involves violent gestures, behavior and words. These things are usually what provoke my decision to book someone or not...If you are apologetic and polite, I usually let you off with a break. If you're rude and consistant in bickering, gesturing or ill-mannered behavior (acting like a punk, as my mom would say) then you can expect the silver bracelets. Its a matter of perception. If you fall into the mold everyone else sets for you then what have you really accomplished?

User Detail :  

Name : JessTsab, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 20, City : Norfolk, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Military Police, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.