Dating an amputee

Viewing 31 post (of 31 total)
  • Author

BardHubby
    Participant
    First - I am not an amputee. However, I hope my story will help any new and/or uncomfortable amputees looking for love. I met a wonderful woman some 24 years ago. I don't know how - but we merely had a "near miss" of a relationship - great friends, but nothing else. Fast forward over 2 decades later: in a twist of fate, we found ourselves in the same place, and not expecting this reunion - to be sure, we were both completely unprepared to make the first reintroduction in twenty some years. I walked in, and in a matter of seconds, saw her - and time vanished. We embraced and cried a little - as this was a truly long overdue reunion of a couple that should have been together all along. The important thing to mention here is that in that 20+ year gap - she lost her left leg well above the knee, and is on crutches or in a chair all the time. I want to tell you something, and you need to hear this clearly from a non-amputee who is now so incredibly happy beyond his wildest dreams - IT DOES NOT MATTER. Sure, there are some adjustments, grab handles in the shower, by the commode - help on stairs... big deal - guys, wouldn't you open the door for anyone you dated? Wouldn't you make sure anyone you love didn't slip on the stairs? There is no difference in this wonderful woman, with the exception of her even brighter light that shines out from her heart. I guess what I am trying to say is don't see yourself as "impaired" - I don't see her that way, because she doesn't see herself that way. She has these traction footie extra crutch grips for snow/ice, and regardless, I am always by her side, keeping her safe. She constantly tells me that she has been braving the winter for about 7 years before I came along - and I am constantly telling her (truthfully), "if you were Squidward (Sponge Bob)and had 4 legs, I would still make sure you didn't slip and fall - I am holding you because I love and care for you - not because of anything else. In short - we have an absolutely wonderful relationship - and yes, I mean physically as well as spiritually/mentally. You will find the right person - and I dare say they will be required to be more intelligent and compassionate then you may have required in the past - this will be quite to your advantage in the long run, trust me. And just a note to finish - don't rush this - we are both divorced, with children, and I am over 50 and feel like 20 again because of her. Love may come later - but if you want it, it WILL come. Our bodies are just the vessel we are riding through life - the heart and soul are not burdened by such limitations. Do yourself a favor - watch Ram Dass: Fierce Grace - you can see it on Netflix, and it will put a lot in perspective - it did for the both of us. I wish you love and happiness in you life - life is good, and worth living to the fullest. I am sure you will find whatever you seek - just don't worry about the crutch/chair thing - it really means nothing to the right one. God bless - be well.

User Detail :  

Name : BardHubby, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : With Amputee, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, City : NY, State : NY Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 31 post (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.