Atheist views on Christians

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author

Ali
    Participant
    From my previous experiences with people from my high school, I have gotten the impression that some atheists dislike Christians. When I was a senior in high school, I used to have a small 'Jesus Fish' on the back of my car. One day after school, two atheist juniors who were in band with me were ripping the fish off my car when I went out to the parking lot. I have no problem with atheists, and I would like to know if they have a problem with Christians. When I started dating my boyfriend nine months ago, he was an agnostic-turned-atheist, so I obviously didn't think less of him because of his beliefs, and the same goes for his views on me and my religion. He even told me that he admired my unquestioning faith in a God I cannot scientifically prove.

User Detail :  

Name : Ali, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 18, City : Iowa City, State : IA Country : United States, Occupation : College Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

T27538
    Participant
    I have an aversion to the 'faithful and devout' because I have been harassed by them due to my atheism. I have been consigned to hellfire and brimstone and divine retribution repeatedly for daring to mention my 'blindness' within a religious family situation, for instance. I was exorcised repeatedly by my parents in my youth and am even now constantly reminded that prayers are made for my 'conversion to the truth.' From what I know of other atheist friends, many find themselves going through similar experiences with religious family members or even former religious friends who are intolerant, zealous and missionary. In my experience, Christians are prone to go to extremes, and though I try very hard to keep a tolerant lookout on the basis of "you let me be and I let you be," I still cringe when faced with Christian bumper stickers, table prayers and similar signs of religious involvement. To date, I have had no similar experiences with Muslim, Buddhist or Hindu friends, who seem as a rule to have been content to just let me be myself. So I guess the result is that I am averse to Christianity. I only wish Christianity were a little less averse to me.

User Detail :  

Name : T27538, Gender : F, Religion : Atheist, Age : 33, City : Munich, State : NA Country : Germany, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Claudia
    Participant
    I am agnostic and came from a relatively religious Catholic family, but have rejected my faith in the past years. I don't think that atheists and agnostics have a problem with Christians in general, just the ones who try to influence us to believe what they believe. If we wanted to go to church, we would; we don't need anyone our own age lecturing us about the word of the Lord. Other than that, I don't see any reason to reject someone of another faith simply because they believe something differnt.

User Detail :  

Name : Claudia, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 18, City : Iowa City, State : IA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper class, 

James D.
    Part of Christianity is converting others, and many Christians take that duty seriously. Often I am approached by well-meaning Christians who somehow believe I've never heard their arguments before and if they can only get through to me they will be able to convince me to join their religion. While I'm up for a good discussion any time, it gets very tiring to have the same conversation over and over with different people. Plus, I know I'll never convince them that I'm right (I wouldn't want to; I have no wish to interfere with or change their beliefs) and I come off as a bully if I try to prove that their religion doesn't make sense. Another thing about Christians that bothers me is that often they will use logic and reason to try to convert me, but abandon it when it goes against them. I find that very dishonest. Finally, because many Christians are hostile to homosexuality, they have created an inherent animosity with me and other gay people.

User Detail :  

Name : James D., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 47, City : Summit, State : NJ Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Emily
    Participant
    I think the answer basically boils down to this: no matter what race, age, religion, gender, sexuality or whatever, there are always stupid people. I am agnostic but grew up in a fervently Protestant household. I have problems with institutionalized religion, but that does not mean I will go around bad-mouthing other people's beliefs or messing up their cars. What you experienced was discrimination from ignorant boys who had nothing better to do with their time.

User Detail :  

Name : Emily, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 23, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Marian
    Participant
    I am shocked to hear that people would vandalize your car just because they didn't like what you had on it. I am not an atheist, but I do not follow any kind of organized religion. I am happy with myself, and I believe I have a very good set of morals. Lucky for me, I have not had bad experiences with those who are Christian. The worst ones just try to say that I should convert because of some reason or other, or they will mumble some kind of judgment about my morality under their breath. I have attended Catholic school for seven years. I know what they teach, and it's not all bad. There are a few things that I've been taught that I find repulsive and/or illogical.

No, I do not hate Christians or those of any other religion. What I do hate is when a select few believe it is their right to impose their ideas on me. I do not mind attending church or learning the religion. I've done it, purely to educate myself so that I may find whether I agree with it or not. But do not force a belief on anyone. No one likes to be forced; I believe that is why there are so many atheists out there. A lot of them had bad experiences in school or at home.

User Detail :  

Name : Marian, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Age : 20, City : westchester, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dan27352
    Participant
    I believe it is also a matter of politics. Many atheists, and most secular humanists, believe that religion is one of the main, if not THE main, causes of human suffering. Marx called it the 'opium of the people,' and atheism was established as the 'State Religion' of Communism. Those who are not exactly Leftists still tend to share similar sentiments. They also believe that they have a monopoly on reality, and that faith is irrational. I have many friends and associates of such persuasion. They hate my beliefs, but they don't hate me, and I try to live as an example for them the best that I can. I find that it's more effective this way than constant outbursts directed at them - although I will not hesitate to speak about it if challenged, or if it is brought up in conversation.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan27352, Gender : M, Race : Chicano, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 24, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Matt22006
    Participant
    I have no trouble with Christians or members of any other religion. I would suspect that the kids you've had this problem with are just acting up a bit. Sometimes people, even those who are basically friendly and law-abiding, will look for an excuse to break things. In general I've found that hostility by atheists against believers has a lot to with how intensely religious their upbringing was. I was raised without religion. I didn't even know people seriously believed in God until I was 12. So I think some of the hostility you see has a lot to do with the resentment that person feels toward their parents. And one could forgive those who grew up surrounded by fire-breathing Christians for suspecting all Christians of being fire-breathers as well.

User Detail :  

Name : Matt22006, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 25, City : Sacramento, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Software Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Nate20107
    Participant
    I've been an athiest for quite a long time now, and it wasn't because my parents 'forced' me to be christian. In fact, neither of my parents attend any church or truely identified with any specific faith. The belief in God just never made any sense to me, but I've always respected other people's beliefs. I just wish that some people would show the same respect that i give them. Growing up athiest in the bible belt is not easy. I had to deal with people judging me all of the time, and it is a neverending argument. And i didn't like being told that i'm a horrible person or told that i don't have any morals. It's kind of funny because a lot of the christians with such 'high moral integrity' were the same people who bragged about how many girls they've had sex with or make racist comments or even threaten me with physical violence because i'm a 'heathen'. However, i also had many friends who very religous, moravians, catholics, baptists, methodists, etc., and they never judged me. They were all caring and generally nice people. So whether someone is religious or not doesn't have any influence on what kind of person they are. The ones that constantly judged me were just jerks, and the kids that ripped your jesus fish off of your car were also jerks. It's sad that some athiests would stoop so low. It only gives the bible thumpers more ammunition to throw at us.

User Detail :  

Name : Nate20107, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 21, City : Reidsville, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Heather
    I don't consider myself any religion because I believe a bit of everything. I don't view Christians any different than any other religion. I just don't like people to try to push me to believe something that I don't. Now, if I enter a religious house, sure I'll clasp my hands together and bow my head at the table. I'll be quiet and smile politely - just don't ask me to say the prayer. I really don't like the 'door-to-door' preachers, though. For instance, an old grade school acquaintance of my brother's saw me out one day and stopped and gave me his card (church). He was a preacher down the street from where we lived. After about 6 months I saw him again and he gave me his card again. I had told him both times that I wasn't really interested. Then about 4 months later he showed up at my door and told me how Jesus must be trying to tell me something. I didn't say anything bad but I was thinking 'Dude, this isn't an out of the ordinary thing that just happened. You weren't led to me by God. You have knocked on every door on this street - that's not coincidence' But that's the kind of thing that I don't like. Still I smiled and said 'No thanks'

User Detail :  

Name : Heather, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : believe in a few different things, Age : 26, City : Turner, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Ariana
    Participant
    I don't agree with anyone vandalizing or doing any harm period and I'm sorry to hear that those guys were doing something so petty simply because it was a Christian symbol. When it comes to religion, Christians do try to convert quite a bit, but that doesn't give others a right to get physical over it in any way. Now, the one other thing I'd like to point out is that no matter what religion/background/belief system, etc. there are good people and not so good people. I have encountered extremely hypocritical Christians, but I don't place all Christians in that catagory automatically. And I have encountered very responsible, high moraled Atheists, but I know that people are all individuals, some with good intentions, some without. I find it hard to judge an entire belief system based on the actions of a few malintentioned people. With the politics of religion set aside, we are all responsible for our own behavior.

User Detail :  

Name : Ariana, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 29, City : Birmingham, State : AL Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Rebecca30084
    Participant
    As a Christian (Lutheran ELCA) I am told to go out an preach the word, and tell the 'good news' and perhaps I should. But I don't like to force my beliefs on anyone. While I would never personally date an athiest probably, if they want to believe that there is no God, the go ahead. Do I believe they are going to hell? Basically yes. Could I be wrong? Yes. Could I be wrong about God, and maybe there really isn't a God? Yes. I don't know, but I do have some faith that there is a God. I certainly am not going to say to an athiest that they are going to hell, unless they ask me point blank what my views on athiesm is. I don't go around telling people once I find that they aren't believers in God that they are going to hell, I usually inquire about where their lack of faith in God comes from, and they usually ask me where my faith comes from. We discusss, and I don't tell them they are going to hell, because it is not my place to judge. It is God's, (in my belief)

User Detail :  

Name : Rebecca30084, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 19, City : Long Island, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Stephanie
    Participant
    This is only my opinion,however I have known people who aren't Christians and the reason was because they didn't understand how so-called 'professed Christians' still engage in 'worldly pleasures'. They feel that Christians are hypocrites because some may go clubbing on Saturday and be in church on Sunday. And there is sometimes there is as much back-stabbing, judging, and hypocricy going on inside the walls of the church as there are in high school halls. It can be confusing and ridiculous sometimes. It's a shame that some Christians can be the most judgmental people. 'Judge not lest ye be judged.' Christians need to remember that you are setting an example for not only other Christians, but also non-Christians.

User Detail :  

Name : Stephanie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Non-Denominational Christian, Age : 21, City : Huntsville, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : Student of Psychology, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

NAZARIGHT
    Participant
    ATHEIST MEANS 'WITHOUT BELIEF IN A HIGHER POWER' BUT THESE DICKHEAD DO BELIEVE IN SOMETHING, THEIR 'NON-BELIEF'. AND THEIR SICK HATRED FOR CHRISTIANS BECAUSE OF THE POLITICS OF THE CHURCH IS THEIR DOGMA. THEY ARE JUST AS CONFORMIST AS PEOPLE OF ANY PERSUATION CAN GET, & JUST AS PUSHY AS WITNESSES WITH THEIR INSISTANCE THAT YOUR GOD OR CHRIST IS WRONG & A FIGMENT. BASICALLY IT'S BECAUSE THEY ARE SCARED OF THE TRUTH WITHIN, THEY ARE TOO CHICKEN-SHIT TO FIND THE HEART OF THE MATTER & TOO STUPID TO CONSIDER WHAT 'GOD' COULD MEAN TO THEM. BUT JUST THE SAME AS CHRISTIANS OR MUSLIMS OR WHATEVER WE ALL HAVE TO TAKE THE INITIATIVE TO FIND 'GOD' ON OUR OWN TERMS. CHURCH WILL NOT BRING SALVATION & NEITHER WILL 'BELIEF', ONLY THE CREATIVE USE OF YOUR FREE WILL & CONSCIENCE CAN BRING YOU REVELATIONS, & ONLY COMPASSION & UNDESTANDING CAN BRING LOVE, WHICH IS WHAT 'GOD' MEANS. ALL OTHER THINGS BESIDES LOVE ARE JUST ILLUSIONS MEANT TO DIVIDE THE SPIRIT FROM THE HEART & SOUL. 'GOD IS A VERB' THE KABBALAH SAYS, & THAT MY FRIENDS IS THE TRUEST SINGLE STATEMENT ON THE SUBJECT. SCIENCE & RELIGION ARE BUT POLITICAL FORUMS DESIGNED TO MAKE THINGS COMPLICATED WHEN ALL YOU COULD POSSIBLY NEED IN THE WORLD TO KNOW GOD IS REALLY THERE BEHIND EVERYTHING IS YOUR OWN SELF'S REFLECTION. STOP & SMELL THE ROSES, QUIETLY WITH OUT JUDGEMENT OR REASON & YOU WILL FIND 'GOD' NO MATTER HOW YOU MIGHT GO ABOUT EXPLAINING IT TO PEOPLE LATER ON DOWN THE ROAD. THE EGO IS A REAL KILLJOY PEOPLE. PEACE LOVE & JAZZ

User Detail :  

Name : NAZARIGHT, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : CAPITALISM, Race : HUMAN, Religion : NAZARIGHTEOUSNESS, Age : 25, City : ILLADEL, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : LABORER, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Sare
    not that i haven't seen my fair share of extremist christians, i have to disagree. i have been a christian for a very long time and i have always felt God's presence in my life. but some people don't. that's understandable. but i am here to tell you that there are 50 lazy, apathetic, non-extreme christians for each one that is praying for you. ps it would drive me insane for people to be praying for me to 'convert to the truth'. i am truly sorry for you.

User Detail :  

Name : Sare, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 21, City : Beeville, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.