Atheist views on Christians

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author

Adrian Petyt
    Participant
    I grew up in a Christian home in largely Godless England and I know that I was teased mercilessly for joining in prayers in assembly (yes, we still had school prayer), for having Bible quotes in an old notebook etc. In the UK it's simply that most people have no religious views at all (they aren't even 'atheist' in terms of a philosophy or conviction, they just never think about it) so religious people are 'different'. Also teenagers see religious youths as goody-goodies and religion as something teachers force on you (by school prayer) so it's cool to be nasty to the religious. I really couldn't say whether these factors are responsible for your experience, but I doubt teenagers are all that different in the USA. For myself, since coming to question much of what I was brought up to believe, I have found the attitudes of some Christians, especially bigots and the Kent Hovind type word-twisting pseudo scientists very aggravating. However I don't hate Christians in general, nor do I fieel any need to vandalise anybody's car.

User Detail :  

Name : Adrian Petyt, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 36, City : Hong Kong, State : NA Country : China, Occupation : Drama/Writing teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jaron
    Participant
    I am an atheist, and I can tell you exactly what is wrong with a large amount of Christians. A lot of Christians look down on Atheists/Agnostics (which I am) because they don't have the same beliefs as Christans. My ex-girlfriend was Christian and I had constant arguments with her because I just wasn't good enough. And added on to that, Christians have to be 'disciples' and try and bring you back to the good side, and that's just shoving your beliefs down the throats of people who don't really give a damn. That's why it's so difficult.

User Detail :  

Name : Jaron, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Kittens, Race : American Indian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 19, City : Houston, State : NA Country : United States, 

CassieW
    I'm pretty sure that most Atheists do not have a problem with Christians. Most of my friends, as well as myself, are Atheists and not only do they not have a problem with Christians but they just aren't generally concerned with what another person's religious beliefs are. It seems to be that it tends to be religious people, and in my experience particularly Christians with strong beliefs, who feel that other people care about their religious beliefs when, in fact, they don't. For those Atheists who have had some experience with religion (my family is Catholic and I attended a Catholic school), some anger does exist when Christians try to push their beliefs onto other people. In fact I once had a friend who decided that we could no longer be friends when she found out that I was an A

User Detail :  

Name : CassieW, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 22, City : Melbourne, State : NA Country : Australia, Occupation : Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.