Atheist views on Christians

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author

Jessica
    Participant
    Atheists everywhere will be chagrined to realize that they share something with Christianity: FAITH. Atheism is a religion, because there is no way to scientifically prove that there is no God any more than there is a way to scientifically prove that there is one. So, atheists have to have faith that there is no God. It's ridiculous that you've had experience with such judgmental, ignorant people, and I'm very sorry for it. Perhaps they had been treated as such by certain judgmental Christians and felt the need to respond in kind. Coming from either side, such behavior is abhorrent.

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 23, City : Huntsville, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Lance26204
    Participant
    I think some Atheists do dislike Christians, for the same reason that some blacks dislike whites; Christians are the majority and they try to impose their values onto the rest of us. In my experience most Atheists try to avoid the subject of religion altogether and would never vandalize your car because of your bumperstickers, but kids are kids. I'm much more interested in the subject of a Christian dating an Atheist. How could that possibly work. He believes you are living your life based on a myth, and you think he is a heathen and is going to hell when he dies. I think you should seriously reconsider either your religion or your relationship.

User Detail :  

Name : Lance26204, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 39, City : Chico, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Civil Service, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Alyssa
    Participant
    I am a christian, but i think this works the same way. If an atheist hates a christian, because they are a christian it is the same as racism. If a Christian hates an athiest or a catholis or whatever, because of being that it is the same... racism is hating because of race, but hate is just hate in any circumstance you happen to put it in. Hate is wrong and thats all there is to it, hate is all the same it doesnt matter.

User Detail :  

Name : Alyssa, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, City : Whitehall, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : student, 

Nathan20128
    Participant
    I don't think those kids were 'Athists at all. They were just losers trying to be 'rebels'. Back in the 80's every heavy metal fan was a devil worshiper. They weren't REALLY, it was just something to 'freak-out' the parents. In my experience with 'Christians', they're always the meanest, hatefilled, untrustworthy, backstabbing, lying and EVIL people around. I treat people with more dignity, 'love' and respect than most any 'christian' that I've had the displeasure of meeting. If 'christians' really DID live like Christ, and not just pay lip service to it, they'd be great people and an example to others. Instead, they're the worst people you'd ever know.

User Detail :  

Name : Nathan20128, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 30's, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Fatima
    Participant
    Im a christian and Ive never met a atheist but they had no right to tare your sticker. They may have felt that it offended it them but the mature thing they should have done was talked to you about the sticker.

User Detail :  

Name : Fatima, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 24, City : Twinsburg, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Ive21251
    Participant
    Being a christian myself I don't agree with homosexuality. My personal belief is different from those who are gay. I have never had a gay friend. Dont get me wrong, if a fiend told me that they were gay i would still be friends with them. My thing is that I respect gays opinions but I dont agree with their life style. I woudlnt tell my gay friend ' oh your a sinner blah blah..' but if they do ask me what I think about it I will tell them what i believe. what im trying to say is that im not gonna lie and say oh no its ok to be gay cause i dont think that. So i would never say its ok to please someone or not offend them. My point is christians are against homosexuality and its their right to express their views about it. Because dont gays express their opinios and opinios on the matter? Oh but when Christians do it their mean,ignorant,etc.

User Detail :  

Name : Ive21251, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 16, City : Orlando, State : FL Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Camille
    Participant
    The people who vandalized your car probably claim to be 'atheist' just for the thrill of shocking the 'establishment' and are just immature.

User Detail :  

Name : Camille, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 17, City : Bartlett, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Tor
    Since so many christens have problems with atheists, pagans, jews, etc. some people return the hatred. Personally, two of my best friends are really strong christens, but if they accept me, i accept them. Many atheists are discriminated against by christens, so they get pissed off in turn. It goes both ways. Unfortunetly I have been victims of both sides of the problem....

User Detail :  

Name : Tor, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Age : 15, City : St. Louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Student, 

Mandy
    Participant
    Just a question to think about. What are your morals based on?

User Detail :  

Name : Mandy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, City : Sugar Land, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Michael20691
    Participant
    In theory, I do have an aversion to Christians, especially Southern Baptists, largely because I used to be one, and I hate how I was back then. In practice, I much prefer to find a common interest rather than ruin a friendship or potential friendship. Now, I do have a habit of asking deep, difficult questions of believers, which could be construed as trying to convert them away from belief, but I do it solely out of a love for truth, and I develop great respect for those who can competently defend themselves rationally. This is why I respect Descartes (though his ontological argument is a bit silly).

User Detail :  

Name : Michael20691, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : bi-curious (mostly straight), Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 20, City : Livingston, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : undergrad, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Abra
    Participant
    I've talked to people that are atheists and have been turned off to christianity by christians who are rude to them or even abuse them and try to get them to follow their faith. I am a christian and it gives christians a bad name when they do this. These so-called christians should reexamine their life if they think this is the right way to go about sharing the faith. Just don't have a bad attitude towards christians because of this, we aren't all bad.

User Detail :  

Name : Abra, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 14, City : Albequerque, State : WY Country : United States, Occupation : student, Social class : Middle class, 

Rob29706
    Participant
    I cannot speak for other athiests, only for myself, as such I can't really explain why your classmates felt the need to vandalize your car. I've been an athiest for about 15 years now, and I've taken a lot of abuse from other people for my beliefs (or my lack of beliefs if you will). The vast majority of this abuse has come from christians. Either they wish to convert me to their way of thinking (perhaps not realizing that I was raised in a christian home) or they wish to condemn me. For years I would allow myself to be dragged into these 'conversations', to hear their justifications for their beliefs. In recent years I've given up, I won't discuss my beliefs with most people at all. Most christians who take it upon themselves to 'discuss' religion with me have no desire to hear about my beliefs or my critique of their beliefs, they merely want to convert me. Initially I was very open to discussion with others about religion, but over the years I've lost friends, girl friends, and once even my job, all because I didn't believe in their god. I'm sure there are others who've had it much worse, and the seeds of hatred have grown in much less fertile soils. For myself, I'd prefer that it was a non-issue. I will not discuss it with co-workers or with people that I don't know very well. I have friends who range from devout Catholics to Pentacostals to other athiests, even to quite a few pagans. My roommate was raised Shinto. What allows us to all get along? Mutual respect. The belief that each of us has the right to follow his own heart. I don't hate christians, but I've grown tired of the abuse I've received from many of them.

User Detail :  

Name : Rob29706, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 29, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Joe
    Participant
    Let me go ahead and clear the air by saying, it's safe to assume I am an atheist, as in I have no belief in any form of high power or entities. However, I do not contribute to any atheist group, since I have huge problems with organized religions doing it in the first place. I was raised in a very strict Christian family, and I have nothing against it, it's just something I choose not to subscribe too. Often I am asked, 'Why do I hate god?' The answer is I do not believe in your god, I cannot love or hate anything I don't believe in, its pointless. I believe ones religion should come out of your own personal thoughts and feelings, not what a book or preacher tells you, unless deep inside, you feel it is right. For instance: try explaining hell to an eskimo. Anyway, the point is, with that in mind, I do have respect for all religions (except Star Trek) because of my previous statements; To me, not respecting anothers religion, is showing disrespect towards their personal thoughts and feelings. Besides, there's so much belief in the world, how can anyway have the slightest idea of what the 'truth' is? For someone to tell you that 'I am right and you are wrong,' the least one can do is elaborate a little as to why theyre are right and the other party is wrong, but since we're giving a 50/50 chance, with no stable reasoning behind it, I say they are easily the wrong party. Speaking of which, the correct answer to your boyfriend would be that you also have to admire the fact that he doubts a god that he can't scientifically deny. With that in mind, if you look at the big picture, the arguments, the reasonings, the pro's, the con's, whatever else, can go both ways infinitely. So pick what best suits your needs, whether it be god, the devil, science, buddah, allah, lucky rabbit foot, whatever, there's tons of them, there's bound to be something out there to fit your needs, lets just all practice the 11th commandment: Thou shalt keep thy religion, to thyself.

User Detail :  

Name : Joe, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 23, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : I.T., Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Betty
    Because of my experiences, I am a little slanted against Christianity on the whole, or at least in its 'mainstream' form. I don't believe that what I've been through justifies my stance, but I don't appreciate having attempts made to convert me from atheism, I disagree with many of the conclusions some Christians have drawn from the Bible, and I don't agree with how some individuals use, for example, something stated in the Bible to further their views but refuse to acknowledge another part of the text that goes against them. I do, however, like some parts of the religion, such as what Jesus had to say on violence, revenge, and treatment of one another.

User Detail :  

Name : Betty, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : Asian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 17, City : Medford, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Glenn
    I have no idea why an Atheist would bother to rip the fish off of your car, except that maybe they are stupid punks. Now, if it were me, I would've found it more entertaining to add legs to your Jesus fish! But then maybe they are converting to Christianity and wanted to paste the fish on their own car. I think your relationship with your boyfriend is weird and probably doomed. As an Atheist, I've met many girls that I've wanted to date, until I found out they were Christians. That's not to say I would never date a Christian, but I am very reluctant to relate to someone with a 'Christian' mindset - so many potential arguments. For example, if I were your boyfriend, I would wonder why you don't preach to me daily. Don't you care that I'm going to Hell? Or are you a hypocritical liar and don't really believe in the Christian religion you profess? Why would you even date me when the Bible says not to mate outside of your faith? So, right away, I'm wondering about your sincerity and truthfulness. In general, I will have more respect for a Christian who will openly share their faith with me than with one who tries to hide it. I don't mind disagreeing with people as long as the discussion is open and honest. On the other hand, I don't want to be 'preached down to', especially at an inconvenient time. One time, I was enjoying a good debate with a Christian until another Christian who overheard rudely butted in with a bunch of nonsensical drivel. I can see why a lot of Atheists get upset by a lot of stupid Christians. A Christian shouldn't hide their faith - they ought to live it. But that doesn't mean stupidly browbeating people with rhetoric. As an Atheist, I will respect any Christian who is honest, fair, polite and sensible. But I utterly despise mindless 'believers' who demonstrate their stupidity whenever their lips move as the miserable pathetic creatures that they are. I don't have time to waste on dummies.

User Detail :  

Name : Glenn, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 41, City : Abbotsford, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.